• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please note-if it bothers you

Mes is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The koi hobby is inhospitable (you might say) for younger people. Not only is it expensive, and requires cooperation from parents and a plan for the future (what happens to the fish/pond after you leave the house/college or get a new job?), it's also dominated by an older generation. When I go to club meetings, I am the only "young" person. I think the next youngest is 30. While older folks are very fun to hang out with and listen to, it's intimidating to only have them around. Sometimes you need other folks your age that relate to you and your experience in the hobby in order to truly feel a part of it.
      As others have said, many people have made very close friends with others in the hobby and created relationships that transcend "koi". For those in the same generation, it's easy to understand and relate to other's experiences, as many are going through the same thing. But I have no one in this hobby to talk about homework or what major I'm going into or whatever I'm experiencing. It's the same for other teens. It's hard to commit to something when you are the outsider.
      So yes, it's much easier for teens to play video games, play basketball, and go to parties, because everyone else around you is like you. You aren't the odd one out.
      I'd love to get other people my age into the hobby, but it's rough to get anyone interested in something so expensive and binding. Frankly sometimes I wonder why I was crazy enough to get into koi myself.

I hope, as kdh said, "the stars align" once again to make koi keeping popular once more. And until then, I'll fight to make my own koi journey work.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      ~ 2021 KPOTY
      is playing on Koiphen

Feeling:
      Friendly

Well said.
      --Steve
      ..WWKC Treasurer

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      Big pond = more expenses, more electricity, and needing to buy more koi

A pond for every budget

Let's make koi keeping Fun again!!!
      So true! One doesn't have to spend a lot of money and build a "proper" koi pond to enjoy the ponding hobby. That spark of interest has to be ignited, and once that happens "where there's a will, there's a way." My initial investment was less than $100...a large plastic planter pot with a few feeder goldfish. It made a beautiful little indoor container pond that we enjoyed for several years. When the fish got too big, next came a small pre-formed pond in the yard. Still not a lot of money. When the fish outgrew it, I was already sucked in and willing to spend the bucks to keep them happy with a well made pond.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pickerel View Post
      So true! One doesn't have to spend a lot of money and build a "proper" koi pond to enjoy the ponding hobby. That spark of interest has to be ignited, and once that happens "where there's a will, there's a way." My initial investment was less than $100...a large plastic planter pot with a few feeder goldfish. It made a beautiful little indoor container pond that we enjoyed for several years. When the fish got too big, next came a small pre-formed pond in the yard. Still not a lot of money. When the fish outgrew it, I was already sucked in and willing to spend the bucks to keep them happy with a well made pond.
      Lots of my uk ponders and mates only have 300 gallons -800 gallon ponds. Easier to get into the hobby plus their lots are smaller than in the usa.

Plus its ridiculous what these aquascape pond builders charge. $7000 for 700 gallon pond while I built my 1000 gallon 4x4 raised pond for under $1000. well I guess everyone gotta to eat.
      Last edited by Nguyen365; 12-31-2019 at 09:12 AM.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Lots of my uk ponders and mates only have 300 gallons -800 gallon ponds. Easier to get into the hobby plus their lots are smaller than in the usa.

Plus its ridiculous what these aquascape pond builders charge. $7000 for 700 gallon pond while I built my 1000 gallon 4x4 raised pond for under $1000. well I guess everyone gotta to eat.
      Yep this hobby does not need to be expensive. You're obviously enjoying your pond and that's all the counts. As importantly you share this with us and for that thanks.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmiHmpbWEOY&t=170s

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Name the Koi fish and pond suppliers that have shut their doors.

Drum filter manufacturing in Europe and China flourishes

Look at the cost of a drum.

How many keepers have drums?

Look into Sea Aquatics warehouse and count the number of drum combinations

You don't have to join the old boys club any longer to find out how.

Fish breeders in Japan pumping out stock

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I did not have the time or money for a pond until my children were grown.

But so many today cannot get their thumbs extracted from their cell phone. They spend so much time living a life through others on face book and u tube they have no time for a life of their own.
      Nancy

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by koi4u2c View Post
      I did not have the time or money for a pond until my children were grown.

But so many today cannot get their thumbs extracted from their cell phone. They spend so much time living a life through others on face book and u tube they have no time for a life of their own.
      Is it time or ability?

Not everybody even has the ability to take on caring for living creatures in a specific environment.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Is it time or ability?

Not everybody even has the ability to take on caring for living creatures in a specific environment.

Garfield
      It's a case of both time and ability especially with a newborn child.

Also make sure new ponders ask their wife or life partners about building a pond. My wife showed up at home one day and then there was my pond.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Happy new year!!!! Mean new pond new koi new life
      See everyone in chitchat
      M.Nguyen

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Happy new year. Means early retirement (Today) cash out 401k and shorting your house and moving back to Vietnam 11acre pond and big house for $35k USD. https://youtu.be/avV4ZN6lWbM

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

A pond for every budget .
      True. In the early days, I had a lot of fun keeping koi for 7 years

• Before ever seeing imported Japanese koi. They weren't available much in Middle Earth before internet was prevalent.
      • While only once buying a koi for more than $10.
      • While primarily using lava rock for filtration.
      • With no pond larger than 1600 gallons and 30" deep.
      • With few koi and none over about 21".

Of course, I would not want to go back to that. But it was a lot of fun, and the koi were healthy. And it sustained my interest in the hobby until I found out what really nice koi look like, improved filtration, and dug a bigger pond.

KoiFan84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In my opinion, People in all forums should initially ask questions to see if a person looking into building a koi pond is young or has a small budget. The majority of the time young people first starting out cannot have for example a 10K gallon pond with an RDF, shower, huge pump, aerated BD etc. I think pretty often people in forums are quick to say oh you have to have this and this and this when that is not feasible for someone with limited resources who is just starting out. This tendency intimidates newcomers, and makes them think a koi pond is unattainable.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      True. In the early days, I had a lot of fun keeping koi for 7 years …

• Before ever seeing imported Japanese koi. They weren't available much in Middle Earth before internet was prevalent.
      • While only once buying a koi for more than $10.
      • While primarily using lava rock for filtration.
      • With no pond larger than 1600 gallons and 30" deep.
      • With few koi and none over about 21".

Of course, I would not want to go back to that. But it was a lot of fun, and the koi were healthy. And it sustained my interest in the hobby until I found out what really nice koi look like, improved filtration, and dug a bigger pond.
      When you say of course I would not want to go back to that. You just ****** off 85% of the people that have ponds. And enjoy there ponds like you used to have. So they leave.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiFan84 View Post
      In my opinion, People in all forums should initially ask questions to see if a person looking into building a koi pond is young or has a small budget. The majority of the time young people first starting out cannot have for example a 10K gallon pond with an RDF, shower, huge pump, aerated BD etc. I think pretty often people in forums are quick to say oh you have to have this and this and this when that is not feasible for someone with limited resources who is just starting out. This tendency intimidates newcomers, and makes them think a koi pond is unattainable.
      Yep. Being any kind of hobby forum the elite take over. It's just how it works. The upper elite well continue to beat the little ponders down. And many than leave. Just as the poster said. OF COURSE I would not go back to what I enjoyed.

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
      Great Question Matt I really don't have any telltale info. But the forums are definitely drying up. Koi Shack, NI, recently Garfield's Forum and so many more have bit the dust! Koi Bito https://www.koi-bito.com/forum/searc...archid=1315409 1 post in the last 4 days. This used to be active.

Other indicators - Most Koi Club membership's and activity are not their former selves! Less members and some disbanding! Actual Koi Shows do not get much exposure like before but that may be due to the decline in forum activity to describe it?

The continued success of the hobby will be dictated by the activity of the young Asian Folks, mostly on the West Coast We are lucky to have several of these members on our forum and hopefully that will grow.

The international market is keeping the prices of higher quality koi up IMHO! Lots of wealthy folks who are into that overseas. Many have large bankrolls
      Maybe younger folks are taking to different forms on media? There seems to be a nearly endless selection of good quality koi videos on youtube. My 17 year old son is koi crazy - almost as bad as his dad! When he was about 8 he stated that wanted 17 ponds. Never did find out why 17, but he's got a nice one now. He and I have been actively breeding koi for the past 5 years. It is an absolutely awesome family experience.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

My post was to encourage both newer hobbyists and those who have the less expensive ponds/koi.
      That's why I agreed with Nguyen365 that there is a pond for every budget.
      I said from my own experience that inexpensive ponds and koi are a lot of fun.
      I added that the koi don't have to be imported from Japan, large, or expensive to be enjoyed.
      I also said that koi can be kept healthy even with inexpensive simple filtration in small ponds that are not as deep as is commonly advised.

And if after some years in the hobby, one's love of koi, knowledge, and budget has grown, one can then upgrade their pond, filtration, and koi if they wish. No one has to start off that way, and the money one puts into it is up the individual. And if one does decide to upgrade to a bigger pond with higher quality koi, it is okay for one to prefer that over their previous pond/koi, and to say so.

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i've only been in this hobby for a few years so I can't speak to whether or not it is in decline but there is vibrant daily participation in koi groups on Facebook and there is a camaraderie there (especially in the Koi Keepers of North America group--just as there is in here) that far surpasses just the fish. Come for the fish, stay for the friends.

And since this post is actually in the Main Forum here is some koi related content filmed on Tuesday on my iPhone:

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      i've only been in this hobby for a few years so I can't speak to whether or not it is in decline but there is vibrant daily participation in koi groups on Facebook and there is a camaraderie there (especially in the Koi Keepers of North America group--just as there is in here) that far surpasses just the fish. Come for the fish, stay for the friends.

And since this post is actually in the Main Forum here is some koi related content filmed on Tuesday on my iPhone:

Steve new subscriber on your channel here. I gave you a shout out on my last youtube video. https://youtu.be/PjE4DST--Ds

Some nice and expensive koi you got there. What happened to your karashigoi?

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Steve new subscriber on your channel here. I gave you a shout out on my last youtube video.
      Some nice and expensive koi you got there. What happened to your karashigoi?
      Thanks for the shout out! I'll watch the video now and subscribe.

Karashigoi was sold. I moved from Utah to NC and went through a rough divorce. Had to sell quite a few of the fish. Karashigoi was one of them. I'm not sure where it is now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast