• Tired

Thread: Heron/fish on side

justk2012 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Heron/fish on side

Hi,

Yesterday christmas started with a heron flapping down the garden.

3 fish appear to have gone

The 4 larger ones all seemed fine, though one appears to have scrapes.

However, today i noticed today that one of fish appeared dead on the bottom on its side. I tried to net it out and it swam fine...put it in a tub for quick look and it seemed unharmed. Put it back and it was flat on its side in minutes again.

The water is very cold to my hands..but no ice.

I am waiting on a water test for quality and a thermometer for temp which i will do today.

I am not feeding. The uv light has been off by mistake. The filter and airstone is on.

I put some virkon in to help the scraped fish.

A cover is on the way.

Is this most likely shock, shock and cold? Any suggestions on how to help this fella?

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The laying over on the side is fairly common for some fish in cold water, and often they need to be brought in to an isolation facility indoors. The indoor facility becomes a real nightmare because it needs a filter and the filter needs time to mature before the fish is safe from poor water quality, but it is warmer, making the fish more active and getting it off its side, but the fish needs to stay in all winter. The fact that there was probably a rush of adrenaline due to the heron, could be a major player this time and allowing the fish to rest for a few days may result in the fish righting itself. Get that cover on sooner than later as a heron, once it finds a feeding station will continue to fish your pond until it can no longer get fish from it.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard