• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Possibly Pox or other disease help

Mxrider131 is offline Junior Member
      is Living my best life

Feeling:
      Friendly

Possibly Pox or other disease help

It started off small then seemed to go away for a little while but has come back with a vengeance. It has been going on for about a year. He still acts normal and eats with no problem. Sorry for my cruddy photo skills but basically all the lighter orange areas are bumps on his head. Besides that big one on the top the other bumps arent like warts were I could cut them off. They are more like smooth raises in the skin. My big worry is it being contagious because a couple of my other fish are starting to show small orange bumps like this fish had at the beginning. From all my research I'm guessing it is fish pox but I need your help. I understand that there really isnt a cure for fish pox and it is contagious so I would have to get rid of this poor guy and I'm assuming also the others that are showing signs. This is my last hope that maybe one of you can tell me its something else that can be fixed before I make my final decision. Thanks ahead of time.

Name:  fish 2.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  98.9 KBName:  fish 1.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  88.1 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mixrider I have a few requests for you so the koi health advisory folks can give you advise, but first I have a couple of requests can you please tell us how big is your pond or tank (gallons) and how many fish you currently have in your system? If it it pox and am not saying it is your two worst enemies are overcrowding and poor water conditions. Now you will also need to provide your water parameters so the folks that will be able to help you with health advise can assist you. Don't do any scrapes on that koi while he's with others like you mentioned before if possible set up a quarantine tank and find the way to slide that koi into a plastic bag in order to minimize any spread of what's going on with that particular koi and move the to the qt tank, hope this gets you headed in the correct direction.
      Last edited by Orlando; 12-14-2019 at 11:28 PM.

graybird is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It looks like hikkui to me -- according to the most recent research, this is a cancer of the cell walls that occurs only in red-pigmented areas. It supposedly is not contagious, but more than one fish in a pond seem to get it.

Cryotherapy has been successful in some cases, but I'm not sure of the precise technique, in terms of how long to spray or how close, and I believe it can leave the red areas white.

I'm sorry.
      Mary

is Living my best life

Feeling:
      Friendly

M pond is about 500 gallons with a skippy filter and I have about 10 goldfish in there. Most are between 3-6 inches long. If it matters about half the fish, including this one, have been in this pond for about 4 years with no issues until this happened. I do not have any recent test results so I will do that tomorrow and post it here. I do not have a qt tank but I can probably make one out of items I already have to separate the affected fish until I figure out what this is. Thank you for the advice

is Living my best life

Feeling:
      Friendly

I have never heard of hikkui so I will look into this and see what I can dig up on it. Thank You!

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It is Hikkui.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

is Living my best life

Feeling:
      Friendly

Thanks to every ones help and after the research i did also im going with hikkui. From what i understand hikkui isnt contagious but the fish will just always look horrible and there isn't really a cure for it. Is this correct?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007