• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi white spot

ngwalkabout is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi white spot

Hi This fish has this white hard area . I have tried many things to help remove it . I thought it was cotton and tried to remove it with a q-tip but it is hard to the touch . Any one have any idea what it could be . The fish is fine eats , swim`s behave`s normal . I have inclosed a pic of the area .Name:  koi with spot.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  48.3 KBName:  koi with spot.jpg
Size:  48.3 KB Norman

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I am going to start with the usual need to know the water quality parameters, numbers please, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH, temperature, and in addition, is this an outdoor pond or indoor aquarium. Next, it looks like a thickened slime coat, but you said it was hard, so is it raised or flat against the skin. Also, can you describe any strange or different behavior if any, like clamping of fins, flashing, breaching, laying on the bottom, spasticity, or other.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ammonia ,PH is fine It is an out side pond temp of water is 62 deg. no flashing or strange behaviours I used a qtip to try to see if it would remove it from the fish did not remove any thing I was using rubber gloves so touched it it is the same feeling as the rest of the fish it is a bit raised 1/32 perhaps less. this fish has had this for around two years now . Thanks for any info you might have .Norm

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ngwalkabout View Post
      Hi This fish has this white hard area . I have tried many things to help remove it . I thought it was cotton and tried to remove it with a q-tip but it is hard to the touch . Any one have any idea what it could be . The fish is fine eats , swim`s behave`s normal . I have inclosed a pic of the area .Name:  koi with spot.jpg
      Probably viral or some kind of skin condition. Only way to find out is to take a sample and send it off to a lab. If it is not spreading or getting worse than I wouldn't worry about it and more than likely, not resolvable.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There is one thing you can try that is pretty easy and will not harm the Koi. You can make a salt paste, out of regular table salt, and put it directly on the white spot. Leave it there for 30 seconds or so and then put the fish back in water. It may actually go away doing this as I have done it before.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I spent some time reading about thickened slime coat yesterday . The fish in it`s second day of being treated with 5ml. per day of Pimafix in ten gal. of water for seven days . 1: what about a salt past being applied directly to the spot for a few seconds . 2 or potassium manganate to the spot . I read about increasing the temp of the water not sure what that would do as this fish has had the spot over the summer also . If you remember the fish we had with dropsy a couple of years back did recover and is still doing fine . Thanks for the info Norman

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thickened slime coat will not be on a koi for two years. It also is easily wiped off with a cloth, not that I recommend that. They have slime coat for a reason.
      I'm not a fan of Melafix or Pimafix, both contain oils and can coat their gills. Pimafix is bay rum tree and allspice, basically. It should smell good though.

I agree with Russ that it is likely viral and his salt recommendation is probably what I would have suggested. Keep it away from the eyes.
      Also, maintain excellent water quality. Few doc's, healthy water and the like. Viral issues like these are often a result of poor water quality.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I spent some time reading about thickened slime coat yesterday . The fish in it`s second day of being treated with 5ml. per day of Pimafix in ten gal. of water for seven days . 1: what about a salt past being applied directly to the spot for a few seconds . 2 or potassium manganate to the spot . I read about increasing the temp of the water not sure what that would do as this fish has had the spot over the summer also . If you remember the fish we had with dropsy a couple of years back did recover and is still doing fine . Thanks for the info Norman
      If a few seconds were enough I would have suggested it. PP is an oxidant and will destroy skin cells which is not the goal.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I checked the water regularly and this is the only fish that has this problem . I will try the salt . Hope this works thanks Norm

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Norm, I wasn't just talking water parameters but rather water quality. Systems that have inadequate filtration, maintenance, overcrowding and such will experience a higher rate of this kind of issue. Basically, their immune systems become compromised by other factors and the likelihood of viral issues is a result. It's possible it may have experienced that in its previous residence and brought it in but I though I would mention it as it will likely always have the tendency toward it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I did the salt paste remedy . It has removed a lot of the white patch . I will repeat the procedure in a day or so . I was a little surprised when I put him back in the tank he seemed dazed and turned upside down , I moved him back and forth in the water I suppose forcing water through its gills . I have read that when people use PP with new fish they react the same way .What is actually happening ? Thanks for the support . I do enjoy our Koi . Thank You Norman

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I did the salt paste remedy . It has removed a lot of the white patch . I will repeat the procedure in a day or so . I was a little surprised when I put him back in the tank he seemed dazed and turned upside down , I moved him back and forth in the water I suppose forcing water through its gills . I have read that when people use PP with new fish they react the same way .What is actually happening ? Thanks for the support . I do enjoy our Koi . Thank You Norman
      I would not do it again. Leave it alone and see what happens. If, after a few weeks, some of it is still there then try it again.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I agree with Russ about not reapplying the salt. Give it at least two weeks before the next treatment. In that time you'll be able to assess if it improved it or not. If it did not, I would not do another treatment.
      Regarding the koi turning upside down, I've never had a koi do that from any topical application. I suspect it is a byproduct of the anesthesia rather than the salt paste.