• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: gravity fed filtration complications

Derek24 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

gravity fed filtration complications

I used to have a small 1000 gallon pond a few years ago so i have some basic knowledge but due to a friends death i am entering the big leagues by inheriting quite a few EXPENSIVE koi, a GIANT Rotating Drum Filter that he didnt get installed before passing away, and a few odds and ends. His wife is currently caring for the koi until i get mine built but she plans to sell and move.

I am trying to wrap my head around the finer details of gravity fed filtration systems. I have heard they are the better choice if you put them in when you build the pond. Right now I am still in the designing stage of my pond but i would like it to be about 40ftx 20ft x 6ft which is about 35000 gallons if my math is correct. The link at the bottom is the giant RDF i will have available.

1. Can i plug bottom drains and skimmers into all of it's 5 inlets?
      2. is there an equation to find out how much water will gravity flow through these pipes? i understand that water always finds it's equal but that turns, smaller pipes, length of horizontal and vertical runs, and the slope of elevation all play a role in determining the flow but not sure how to account for them.
      3 on the slope of elevation between the pond level and the filter where exactly am i measuring too? the inlets of the filter? the weir of the first compartment? the outlet of the filter?
      4. How does draw down affect the positioning or performance of the filter?
      5 Can i put a gravity Bio filter after the RDF or should i do pump then pressurized bio filter?
      6 my area is very affected by leaves but his system did great at handling them. Should i worry about a few leaves evading the skimmers and coming through bottom drains ruining this RDF or will the cleaning mechanism do alright with them if im checking it all daily?

I am just trying to make sure i put the correct size pump into the system. do not want to burn up pump by not supplying enough water to it through RDF. Any information, explanations (especially detailed drawings) would be appreciated.

https://playitkoi.com/products/profi...-filters-rdfs?
      variant=30194384371746§cy=USD&cmp_id=797843757&adg_id=39595620417&kwd=&device=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiNnuBRD3ARIsAM8KmlsGq6uRm2z5Tw2a9Sb2 qxovyAwMRjZJtGmYKJOaIrYM2FwUZ31TnrEaAl4_EALw_wcB

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That RDF, if it is the 45/40, is the right size for a 4-5 thousand gallon pond. I donít know where you are in Indiana but I am in Thorntown. You could come by and look at the system I have for a 6k pond. We could also talk about what, and why, you need certain flow rates etc. for ponds and what will work best.

It would be a huge mistake to put that on a 35k pond.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 11-22-2019 at 11:44 AM.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

Derek
      I would recommend you take up Russell Peters invitation. Won't cost you a thing, and you will learn a great deal.
      Good luck on your project.

lomaponder is offline Senior Member
      is “The Pond” is
      done.

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      That RDF, if it is the 45/40, is the right size for a 4-5 thousand gallon pond. I donít know where you are in Indiana but I am in Thorntown. You could come by and look at the system I have for a 6k pond. We could also talk about what, and why, you need certain flow rates etc. for ponds and what will work best.

It would be a huge mistake to put that on a 35k pond.
      Russell,

I believe he put the standard website BUT stated it had ď5Ē inlets. I think itís the stainless steel 70e (flow 26,400k). My thought.
      It threw me too the first time I read and look at the posted site.

To him, best to call on a pro; like Russell here.
      LP
      "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please".
      Mark Twain
      US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)

My Blog
      KCSD on FB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by lomaponder View Post
      Russell,

I believe he put the standard website BUT stated it had “5” inlets. I think it’s the stainless steel 70e (flow 26,400k). My thought.
      It threw me too the first time I read and look at the posted site.

To him, best to call on a pro; like Russell here.
      LP
      I thought about that too but none of these RDF’s are big enough for a 35k pond.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Derek24 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am about 3 hours from there. I would love to come by and check out your system and get a visual of how things need to work for a bigger pond. Work has slowed down for me due to winter creeping in so if you have a day and time that works best for you just let me know.

and I saw on a sacramento koi video that the deeper and bigger gallon ponds didnt need turned over every hour on the dot if you kept an eye on water quality since the pure volume alone was a buffer to rapid changes in quality. So i went with the estimate that if i got 22k gph out of that filter after head loss and such that is still about 1.5hrs for a full turnover.
      Last edited by Derek24; 11-23-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Koi Acres is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any chance you have a picture of the RDF you are using? With a picture the manufacturer & model you have could be verified. Once verified you would be better suited speaking w/the manufactures rep as to the capabilities of their equipment , t
      hey deal with their brands on a daily basis and should be the best source of knowledge on it. It would be like going to a Chevy dealer to get help with your Dodge.
      Mike

Weekends are for Enjoying your pond..... not working on them.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Derek24 View Post
      I am about 3 hours from there. I would love to come by and check out your system and get a visual of how things need to work for a bigger pond. Work has slowed down for me due to winter creeping in so if you have a day and time that works best for you just let me know.

and I saw on a sacramento koi video that the deeper and bigger gallon ponds didnt need turned over every hour on the dot if you kept an eye on water quality since the pure volume alone was a buffer to rapid changes in quality. So i went with the estimate that if i got 22k gph out of that filter after head loss and such that is still about 1.5hrs for a full turnover.
      If you want the best water quality and ease of maintenance then this is not the way to go. Large volumes of water do not really buffer anything if they are not cleaned quickly enough.