• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What is the minimum flow for a 55 sand and gravel filter?

usertree66 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What is the minimum flow for a 55 sand and gravel filter?

Iím thinking of using a submersible 2000 gph to run 2 s/g filter and the third barrel with fluidized k1. Will this pump be powerful enough or would I require a stronger pump? I know someone is currently selling a 6000 gph external but I donít want to spend extra for that if I donít need to. Thank you

KoiFan84 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

From what I've heard from a few people is a fluid bed can hold a max of 2000 GPH all by itself. Maybe a bit less for the s/g. So I would say definitely a stronger pump.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by usertree66 View Post
      I’m thinking of using a submersible 2000 gph to run 2 s/g filter and the third barrel with fluidized k1. Will this pump be powerful enough or would I require a stronger pump? I know someone is currently selling a 6000 gph external but I don’t want to spend extra for that if I don’t need to. Thank you
      The limitation is based on the size of the container. Go larger than a 55g barrel and you can increase the flow in a S/G, go smaller and it won't handle 2k gph and will fluidize.
      A single 2k gph pump is not going to be enough for 3 different filters. The 6k is more likely the right size but no saying whether it's the right choice without more info overall. Not all 6k pumps are equal. You don't need high head pumps for S/G or moving beds.
      Moving beds can handle more flow but without knowing the details, it's impossible to say how much more.

What size is your pond?
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

dragonfly1976 is offline Senior Member
      is 행복해Ꮫ
      6;

Feeling:
      ----

You can use the 6000 gph pump on all 3 filters. When you plumb them, be sure to use ball valves before each one to adjust flow as needed. You will be able to throttle down flow if it’s too much.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      The limitation is based on the size of the container. Go larger than a 55g barrel and you can increase the flow in a S/G, go smaller and it won't handle 2k gph and will fluidize.
      A single 2k gph pump is not going to be enough for 3 different filters. The 6k is more likely the right size but no saying whether it's the right choice without more info overall. Not all 6k pumps are equal. You don't need high head pumps for S/G or moving beds.
      Moving beds can handle more flow but without knowing the details, it's impossible to say how much more.

What size is your pond?
      It is roughly 2500, I believe.
      I inherited this pond when I moved in a year ago. It is a raised pond. The pond have no bottom drain and the side is build with concrete and rock. So I donít think I could go thru from the side. I think I am really limited with what I could do here. When I first started I had no idea what I was doing. I got the submersible pump and a pressure filter and did a plug and play with that. Now the fish grew a lot, and water quality begin to take a hit. I want to address the problem now but donít know what the best solution is. I really love the hobby but I donít want to spend a lot on this yet because I know this wonít be my be-all-end-all system just yet. Iím gonna try to learn how to post a pic of the pond. Thank you everyone for your input.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

KoiFan84 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do a retrofit bottom drain.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by usertree66 View Post
      It is roughly 2500, I believe.
      I inherited this pond when I moved in a year ago. It is a raised pond. The pond have no bottom drain and the side is build with concrete and rock. So I donít think I could go thru from the side. I think I am really limited with what I could do here. When I first started I had no idea what I was doing. I got the submersible pump and a pressure filter and did a plug and play with that. Now the fish grew a lot, and water quality begin to take a hit. I want to address the problem now but donít know what the best solution is. I really love the hobby but I donít want to spend a lot on this yet because I know this wonít be my be-all-end-all system just yet. Iím gonna try to learn how to post a pic of the pond. Thank you everyone for your input.
      Tutorial on posting pictures that might help:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...tures-Tutorial
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It looks like your question is MINIMUM not MAXIMUM. I'm not really sure how low you can go but I can tell you that I designed and built for a friend a 55gallon SG to filter their 600 gallon goldfish pond. We run a little under 1000 GPH thru the SG. It cleans just fine when we run the cleaning cycle.
      So yes, your 2000 GPH sub could run these filters. But honestly one SG can handle 2000 GPH if that is all you plan to pump then why put two SG on the system? You will get as good of performance as your ever going to get out of 2000 GPH with one Sg and one fluid bed.
      The real question is whether you can keep your pond clean filtering less than 2000 GPH. In my friends case their water is immaculate and crystal clear. But 10 Goldies in 600 gallons is easy to handle.

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You can find the volume of your pond by doing a salt test. Buy a saltmeter. Test salinity of pond. Add 40 pounds of blue bag salt for water softeners. Check salinity again. Use salinity calculator at Koiphen to determine gallons.
      If your pond is 2500 or slightly less and you don't overload it with fish then you might get away with pushing 2000 GPH thru one SG and one fluid bed. Not having too heavy a fish load will VERY important.

danzcool is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Benicia, CA, still on the bay so that it cools off nightly but far enough from the coast to be nice.
      I believe way back when, the optimum flow for a 55 gallon sand/gravel was 750GPH. Going much faster than that and you defeat the purpose. I'd say the minimum for a 55 gallon K1 would be the 750GPH, I probably wouldn't go below 500GPH for each 55gal sand/gravel filter. I also wouldn't push it above 1000GPH on the 55gal sand/gravel. the K1, as long as you have lots of air fluidizing it, I'd say let'r rip through that one on the max side.
      Koiphen member since 05-13-2004
      This one time, at band camp....