• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Help! Need advice on how to treat injured 6 inch koi

Pam Roberts is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Help! Need advice on how to treat injured 6 inch koi

Help appreciated! I live in Manitoba and bring my koi into an aquarium during the winter. The aquarium has a lid, with a screen opening on the back - we thought he was well enclosed (he's a jumper). Unfortunately, my cats are curious and agile. Yesterday, I found my koi (Ted) being "held" and licked by my dog. I believe that the cat got through the screen barrier, caught Ted, who was then claimed by my puggle.

I immediately put him back in the tank, where he originally just floated, but then began swimming around. I set up a makeshift isolation tank for Ted, with aquarium salt and Stress Guard. The tank has a bubbler. I am concerned that I miscalculated the amount of aquarium salt, so this morning I tested PH and changed half the water, so that the PH was closer to 7.8.

I'm not sure if he is "relaxed and resting/healing now" or if he's worse, because he isn't swimming around any more. He is now laying at the bottom of the tank, breathing heavily. The good news is that I can see the damage more easily - there is a slice on his underside, which I assume is from a cat claw. He also has areas of missing scales (the largest being about the size of a quarter). I was told that I should keep him in a dark room where he is not irritated. Could it be that he is just calm and healing, or is that wishful thinking?

Any suggestions on other steps I could take to help him out would be appreciated. We've had him for about 6 years. (Also, we have already secured the screen that we thought was sufficient)

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cats are notorious for having bacteria laden bites and scratches. I used to work at a veterinary practice and cat inflicted injuries were very common.

My suggestion is to topically treat the affected injury areas. That means sedating so I hope you have that on hand. I would use iodine to clean the wounds then neosporin on the wound.

Maintain excellent water quality meaning zero ammonia, zero nitrites, plenty of air, KH over 100, steady water temp.
      Salt is fine and we have a calculator at the top of the forum links on the Main page to calculate the amount to use.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Roberts View Post
      Help appreciated! I live in Manitoba and bring my koi into an aquarium during the winter. The aquarium has a lid, with a screen opening on the back - we thought he was well enclosed (he's a jumper). Unfortunately, my cats are curious and agile. Yesterday, I found my koi (Ted) being "held" and licked by my dog. I believe that the cat got through the screen barrier, caught Ted, who was then claimed by my puggle.

I immediately put him back in the tank, where he originally just floated, but then began swimming around. I set up a makeshift isolation tank for Ted, with aquarium salt and Stress Guard. The tank has a bubbler. I am concerned that I miscalculated the amount of aquarium salt, so this morning I tested PH and changed half the water, so that the PH was closer to 7.8.

I'm not sure if he is "relaxed and resting/healing now" or if he's worse, because he isn't swimming around any more. He is now laying at the bottom of the tank, breathing heavily. The good news is that I can see the damage more easily - there is a slice on his underside, which I assume is from a cat claw. He also has areas of missing scales (the largest being about the size of a quarter). I was told that I should keep him in a dark room where he is not irritated. Could it be that he is just calm and healing, or is that wishful thinking?

Any suggestions on other steps I could take to help him out would be appreciated. We've had him for about 6 years. (Also, we have already secured the screen that we thought was sufficient)
      What you have described does not sound like there is a filter on this tank. Ammonia will build fairly quickly and must be bound in the non-toxic ammonium ion form or it will potentially kill the fish. First you will need an ammonia binder like Cloram-X, SeaChem Safe, Prime or similar to convert the ammonia to ammonium, and then you will need the SeaChem Ammonia Alert Card to assure that there is sufficient binder. I would plan on doing 10 to 20% water changes daily to partially remove some of the ammonium. If it is going to be a long term stay, then you will want to get a filter started so that the large water changes will not be required in the long run, though they will be required until the standard ammonia test reads zero.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard