• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 12 of 12

    Thread: Pond baskets

    1. #1
      N1ck is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Italy
      Posts
      11

      Pond baskets

      This year i bought and used some pond baskets for my plants like this one:

      Name:  mn1_001974.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  54.9 KB

      I noticed some of these basket were already busted by plants roots, they are not that sturdy.
      Adding to this in my experience these baskets do make quite a mess first days after putting them under water as a lot of soil comes out from the sides.

      Are there really benefits in using these anyway? What kind of pots do you use in your pond?

    2. #2
      Nguyen365's Avatar
      Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Bakersfield ca
      Posts
      3,726
      I used a cheap basket from homedepo and let the plant roots sit in them

      https://youtu.be/HeVQw_icmMY

      I maybe just do a while row of plant pots next grow season
      -Tony
      KoiTime USA Vlog
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJY...lOsl9hsezbmzSQ
      1st house paid off at age 36 bought 3/2016 4 years and 3 months

    3. #3
      koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Southeast Virginia
      Posts
      2,949
      I have used them to contain plants without soil. Put in plant and surround with lava rocks. Plants grow well and are easy to wash out any muck that may accumulate.
      Nancy



    4. #4
      N1ck is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Italy
      Posts
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by koi4u2c View Post
      I have used them to contain plants without soil. Put in plant and surround with lava rocks. Plants grow well and are easy to wash out any muck that may accumulate.
      Interesting. I will definitely try this next year.
      I would guess not all plants can adapt to grow without soil. Which plants have you had success with?

      Thanks
      Last edited by N1ck; 11-10-2019 at 02:55 AM.

    5. #5
      matherfish's Avatar
      matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      18,538
      If your pond water does not have a lot of nutrients in it, most plants will not survive without soil.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

      TN Department of Agriculture Inspected and Certified
      for over 15 years!




      “People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

    6. #6
      cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      506
      My baskets from Home Depot have held up well. 5 years old and still in good shape.

    7. #7
      batman's Avatar
      batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Gotham
      Posts
      723
      Mesh pots holding up depends on how aggressive the plant expanded. Very common to split if the plant grew well. We mostly use solid nursery pots that have holes in the bottom. The bottom holes are covered with landscape fabric so the roots can still breathe.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

    8. #8
      pickerel's Avatar
      pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      SC
      Posts
      1,175
      I hang these pots from the sides. They are built like a tank.

      Name:  1.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  93.6 KB

      Name:  2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  142.6 KB

      Name:  4_finished.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  312.3 KB
      Last edited by pickerel; 11-14-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added picture

    9. #9
      cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      506
      Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      Very common to split if the plant grew well.
      Thanks for adding that...

    10. #10
      Davidmh47 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      21
      Quote Originally Posted by pickerel View Post
      I hang these pots from the sides. They are built like a tank.

      Name:  1.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  93.6 KB

      Name:  2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  142.6 KB

      Name:  4_finished.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  312.3 KB
      Great Idea! Did you attach these permanently below the coping stones? Do you remove them during winter? Are there any holes drilled in them or do you just mount them just below the waterline? Sorry for so many questions.

    11. #11
      gray cat's Avatar
      gray cat is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      Winston Salem, NC. Zone 7b
      Posts
      54,944
      Quote Originally Posted by N1ck View Post
      This year i bought and used some pond baskets for my plants like this one:

      Name:  mn1_001974.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  54.9 KB

      I noticed some of these basket were already busted by plants roots, they are not that sturdy.
      Adding to this in my experience these baskets do make quite a mess first days after putting them under water as a lot of soil comes out from the sides.

      Are there really benefits in using these anyway? What kind of pots do you use in your pond?
      I use the same basket. I line mine with landscape fabric and the roots still can breathe but the mess stays inside.
      Nancy



      Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

    12. #12
      pickerel's Avatar
      pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond
       
      Feeling:
      Happy
       
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      SC
      Posts
      1,175
      Quote Originally Posted by Davidmh47 View Post
      Great Idea! Did you attach these permanently below the coping stones? Do you remove them during winter? Are there any holes drilled in them or do you just mount them just below the waterline? Sorry for so many questions.
      Thanks...I have stainless steel eye bolts mounted permanently in the concrete between the stones. The pots are suspended by "S" hooks on parachute cord. There are no holes in the pots.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •