• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: My koi seems to be stuck on the bottom of the pond

Koiboc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Exclamation My koi seems to be stuck on the bottom of the pond

My most prized koi spent the season on the bottom of the pond, I brought him in to get him healthy or does anybody know what this disease could be that would have him or her sitting on the bottom of the tank now?

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Let's start with the basics:

How long has the koi been exhibiting this behavior?
      You brought him inside to address this? What tank is he currently in (size) and what are the water parameters? Ammonia, temp, pH, KH, nitrite and filtration?
      Are any other koi exhibiting this behavior or behavior of concern?

There are numerous health concerns that can cause sitting on the bottom, far too many to enumerate. Getting the answers to the above questions will help guide us to his specific situation.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for getting back to me, I will do my best to answer your questions so we can proceed to a diagnosis.
      The fish has been acting like this For three months so I moved them inside for five days ago, I added stress coat salt plenty of oxygen as well as a intermittent heater so the water parameters are correct. None of my other fish are exhibiting this behavior in the pond. I can send you a picture if you like of the koi that I have moved inside.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Three months is a sizable amount of time for an issue. Does it just sit on the bottom or does it struggle to get to the surface and eat?
      Btw, going forward, when you see an issue it is much easier to attempt intervention when water temps are above 70. Dealing with them going into winter makes things more challenging.

Water parameters correct doesn't give me much detail. Are you testing for the values I mentioned? What size container is it in and how large is the koi?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will try and locate my testing kit for all your levels in order to diagnose the situation, I am also trying to figure out how to take a picture on my iPad or a video because while I have been in touch with you he is starting to swim around and almost reach the top of this 25 gallon tank I have him in.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Details will be important.

How big is this koi?
      25 gallons is a very small amount of water for a koi.

When you get the image situation sorted out, take a video, not just a pic. That will help.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just a backstory about me, I jumped on this website today to help with my situation I have 20 or so koi l in my 11 x 18‘ 3 1/2 foot deep pond a pond that I have been enjoying for the past 12 years. If you have an email address maybe it would be easier.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  8A57288A-9DB1-4708-9D77-B6BB2A3142C3.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  73.5 KB

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Koiboc View Post
      Just a backstory about me, I jumped on this website today to help with my situation I have 20 or so koi l in my 11 x 18 3 1/2 foot deep pond a pond that I have been enjoying for the past 12 years. If you have an email address maybe it would be easier.
      It sort of defeats the great part about forums. There may be several other members that might have not spoken up
      but your thread is actually helping them too. There may be many more "guests" that don't want to subscribe but also
      have something similar going on with their koi that it also helps! So really each thread often times helps many more
      than just yourself... we're happy you found us and welcome to Koiphen!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

P.S. Check the expiration dates on the test kits when you find them. Like Marilyn said, they're really important to know
      exactly what's going on. It might be time to run to the local pet store and get new ones if yours are old.
      --Steve

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  8F0F5875-A604-4E4D-8D4B-D762B9A6C04B.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  85.8 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for getting the pics posted.

It very well could be a swim bladder issue. We have a number of issues addressing that; the issue has been present for 3 months so it's unlikely to resolve, the water temps are getting quite cold as we're heading into winter and you have it in a 25 g aquarium. That is a very small system for a koi. No way around that.

If you are interested in trying to resolve this it will take holding the koi inside in the tank over winter. You have to be able to provide good healthy water for it meaning you need a filter and you need to maintain the ammonia and nitrite at zero, and the KH over 100. You also have to keep the temp stable. IOW, you don't want the water temp changing more than a 3-4 degrees over the course of the day.

Do NOT use Melafix. Aside from not helping, it is costing your money and it is really not healthy for them. It's an oil and will coat the gills.

Frankly, I haven't heard of anyone that has successfully treated it and it has been going on for 3 months. Some say feeding peeled cooked peas can help. It's an easy food for them to digest so there is no harm in trying. Don't overfeed during this time though.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for getting back to me on this, things have drastically changed in the last four hours. It seems to be moving around a lot more while I have been giving it the Nella fix as well as a little stressed code to come in town and some food it has spent more time at near the top of the tank in the bottom. I just turned off the lights because it was getting quite a Radick in there. I will try winter it over and get a larger tank as well as look Up the bladder issue you mentioned. Is there any medication for this or homeopathic ideas out there.

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Glad he seems to be doing better. I'd still get those test kits that Marilyn suggested and test the water.
      They'll get to be your best friend and can tell a lot about what's going on, and what isn't, when things aren't
      right.
      --Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks again for all your help today, my only question is if swim bladder is untreatable given the amount of time that he has it what are my options for the koi? Is it a reversible issue or is it something it will be plagued with for the rest of its life?
      Last edited by Koiboc; 10-30-2019 at 12:12 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koiboc View Post
      Thanks again for all your help today, my only question is if swim bladder is untreatable given the amount of time that he has it what are my options for the koi? Is it a reversible issue or is it something it will be plagued with for the rest of its life?
      If it's swim bladder, post 12 is what I said I had heard may be of help. It would likely plague him the rest of his life. The situations I've heard rectifying were addressed sooner.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It is important to check your ammonia level (every day) based on the size of tank. At least until your comfortable with how the filter is managing the ammonia. You can line the outer part of the tank with something dark as this well help the koi from getting spooked. I would also suggest using a low protein food as this well help with ammonia spikes etc. I don't understand the pee thing for swim bladder issues. As pees simply go through the digestive system and has nothing to do with pees getting to the swim bladder?

DMon707 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

See my last post about my sinking kohaku. I switched her food. Now, after more than three months on the bottom, she's back to normal. Microbe-lift sinking food with pro-biotics and vitamin C gets the credit, but we can never be sure. Maybe it was something else.