• Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Medication Help

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by libralady View Post
      What should my GH be? As I have not been paying much attention to that.

I am just scared to add something that is going to raise PH to a high amount and then it could lower fairly quickly before I get the KH up to 6 drops. That is the most frustrating thing. I don't know how long it will hold it I raise it beyond the tap source. It's at about 7.4-7.6 since Sat. If I bring that up with baking soda, how fast will it hold before dropping back to where it is?
      Don't worry about the GH, the reading your had earlier is fine.
      The KH/alkalinity is the one that gets rapidly depleted in the nitrogen cycle.

You are using a wide range pH test kit that is not providing accurate results. You need a High Range pH test kit. This will provide more accurate readings.
      As mentioned in the video, the pH of a tank/pond changes over the course of the day. Without sufficient alkalinity (KH raised with baking soda) there is no BUFFER to keep the tank stable. Koi like stable.

I'm not against you doing medical treatments but 1) provide the fish with a good healthy water to recover in or the use of treatments is pointless, 2) don't use MG/F with salt.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

ademink is online now Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Still loving Red Label!

Feeling:
      ----

We are all in agreement that your primary issue is water quality. I believe your secondary issue is parasites but the chicken has to come before the egg.

We know about water quality. We have all been keeping koi for years and Marilyn (and her husband) in particular owns a world-class facility keeping koi that would make you pass out if you saw them. They consult with the most knowledgeable veterinarians in fish medicine on a regular basis. I tell you this stuff so you know that we know what we are talking about and aren't just making up stuff or throwing the dice with the health of your fish.

Baking soda is not scary and it's not going to hurt anything. As was previously said, KH doesn't need to hover exactly at 6. My KH runs extremely high (source water) - it has been as high as in the 20s. Get the salt out of your water, get the baking soda in the water, get your pH stable (PLEASE purchase a high range pH kit) and let's move on to addressing any parasite issues.

You have to decide if you are going to trust us and take our advice or if you are going to go with your vet (who frankly doesn't seem to know much about fish). The longer you wait, the more permanent damage is going to happen.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

libralady is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      We are all in agreement that your primary issue is water quality. I believe your secondary issue is parasites but the chicken has to come before the egg.

We know about water quality. We have all been keeping koi for years and Marilyn (and her husband) in particular owns a world-class facility keeping koi that would make you pass out if you saw them. They consult with the most knowledgeable veterinarians in fish medicine on a regular basis. I tell you this stuff so you know that we know what we are talking about and aren't just making up stuff or throwing the dice with the health of your fish.

Baking soda is not scary and it's not going to hurt anything. As was previously said, KH doesn't need to hover exactly at 6. My KH runs extremely high (source water) - it has been as high as in the 20s. Get the salt out of your water, get the baking soda in the water, get your pH stable (PLEASE purchase a high range pH kit) and let's move on to addressing any parasite issues.

You have to decide if you are going to trust us and take our advice or if you are going to go with your vet (who frankly doesn't seem to know much about fish). The longer you wait, the more permanent damage is going to happen.
      Yes I know and do apologize. I should just be honest and say that I suffer from depression and anxiety and it is that fear and procrastination that lands me in bad situations all the time that hurt what is dear to me. This is another bad decision on my part that has resulted in worse issues. I came home today going to add BS and tested to find my cycle had crashed. I added 5ml of Prime and tetra start +. Tomorrow I will do a WC, 10-20%? I don't know if it was the antibiotics, all the WC's, the higher quality food, vitamins or the flourish I injected the plant sock with. Doesn't matter cause now I have to get it fixed.

I am so frustrated as they didn't have any infectious properties and I feel I did 7 days of strong antibiotics with major WC's for nothing.

So I have to trust you guys, I know you have been doing this for years with koi worth more than I could imagine. Mine are only pond mutts, but I love them just like my dogs and cat.

How do I raise the PH now with ammonia as it becomes more toxic?
      Do you think I even have enough surface area in the tank to sustain BB, NB? I have been feeding them 2X aday, once with vitamins added. These are helping a bit at least as the little one that has spent the last week doing summer salts and laying on it's back is now swimming straight and eating. This has happened over the last 3 days since I have added vitamins. Each day it is better. So I want to be able to add those. How fast will the PH go up with BS addition?

I feel like I am all over the place here tonight. I will send you today's tests and put my trust in you guys to try and help me get my cycle back and not have the ammonia toxic. Once my KH is up-does that prevent a crash? My KH is still at 2 drops where it has been since I did a 17 1/2 gals WC on Sat. Which seems weird to me as it didn't drop any.

In addition to the photo tests I also took these:

GH = 3 drops
      KH = 2 drops
      Salt = 0.04%

I am going to upload more videos tomorrow and will attach a couple.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry to hear about the depression. I know it can be immobilizing.
      We'll work hard to make this easy and doable for you.

It does sound like the system crashed.

1) if you haven't treated the full tank with the proper amount of Stress Coat Plus, do so now. This will bind the ammonia.
      2) put in one teaspoon of baking soda now, add another teaspoon in the morning.

Don't worry about the GH, it is fine for now. Our goal is binding the ammonia and bringing up the KH.

Post the water results in the morning; ammonia, pH and KH, please.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

mplskoi is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

One challenge with KH tests is that many people do them wrong. The first drop that you put in the tube that turns the water blue does not get counted. So if your tube is turning yellow on the second drop then you potentially have a KH reading of literally zero. So when some people say they have two drops it really means they have none.
      It is virtually impossible to maintain healthy water with no KH.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

There is a SeaChem Ammonia Alert Card that will tell you if the ammonia is toxic, whereas the ammonia/ammonium test kit shows the level of the combined NH3 and NH4+. As long as there is adequate ammonia binding agent, there will be no toxic ammonia, and if there is toxic ammonia, as shown on the card, then addition of additional binding will convert the ammonia to ammonium, which is non-toxic.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Dovey is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      I would dump your vet in a millisecond. You need to add baking soda and raise your KH to at least 6 drops.
      Seriously. Carp absolutely thrive in high ph ranges and hard water. Our well water is liquid baking soda, and my koi and goldfish are impervious to just about everything!...except me overcrowding, sadly!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123