• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Goldfish has a lump

Mes is online now Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Exclamation Goldfish has a lump

My shubunkin goldfish has developed a lump on it's head/shoulders in the last day or so. Despite visiting the pond everyday, it seems I must have missed it unless it developed overnight, which seems unlikely.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/ShueKPh

My mom bought this goldfish in July, it had a slight yellowing on it's shoulder but I didn't think much of it. Today I went out to feed and noticed the lump immediately. The fish still came up to eat and behaved normally. I use well water and do two 30% water changes a week. It lives with a comet goldfish and four small tosai koi.
      My water parameters are 20 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, 8.2 pH, 150 KH, unknown GH (but I've kept other goldies in this water for a couple years no problems), and it's about 50 degrees right now (fish are still eating and active in midday most days).

My best guess is it's either a tumor or a fungal infection. I've kept a lot of fish for many years and have never had to deal with either scenario. What can I do?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The lump appears to be viral, but may be tumor. Neither can be handled with hobbyist level tools. Keep an eye on it over time and if it starts to affect the fishes ability to swim, eat, or rest, then it may need to be dealt with, but for now, just watch and see if it goes away, viral, or if it continues to grow, tumor.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Mes is online now Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      The lump appears to be viral, but may be tumor. Neither can be handled with hobbyist level tools. Keep an eye on it over time and if it starts to affect the fishes ability to swim, eat, or rest, then it may need to be dealt with, but for now, just watch and see if it goes away, viral, or if it continues to grow, tumor.
      Thank you. The people at the koi club meeting today said the same thing, also not to touch it until the spring. Thanks again.