• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Shusui (Sorry for bad pics)

Asagibottom is offline Senior Member
      is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Shusui (Sorry for bad pics)

So this is one of several shusui I’ve collected. I’ll admit- not the most beautiful fish in the world and these pictures aren’t the greatest either. However, I do believe the fish is of some quality and the pictures don’t necessarily do it justice.

I know to determine the quality of a koi, one must judge the skin, the scale formation, the depth of color and placement, contour and shape of body as well as size and overall aesthetic.

In light of this, I ask two questions: how does it compare with some real bell dingers that often win runner up?

And if it were a fish sold by Oya or any other reputable breeder, what would you price this fish at?

And before we get started, I would like to save you some time...
      Yes, I know the photo quality is terrible- let’s make the best of this I bowled fish.
      Yes, I know it’s difficult to tell the skin quality and other key features, but again, as above...
      Yes, it’s a shusui and probably not the best quality- I can handle it. Either way, I don’t care!
      And last but not least, the fish has a very bright white face, a dark orange/red around blue eyes and is length: 16” it is in its 2nd year. Will be 2 in a few months.

Picture to follow.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Name:  EF16694F-2094-4BC4-948B-07944242A3B1.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  42.1 KB

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Name:  372960E5-8C58-4267-8225-DE0D62AA0EC1.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  50.3 KB

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Name:  4128D3B5-DCB6-47CF-BEA8-FECAE58BD3A6.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  35.7 KB

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Name:  747D94C0-B8CF-4135-B2F1-E4D140EB3DFB.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  61.5 KB

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Name:  C002C61A-A59B-4EAF-A897-36C18C10D8A1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  37.0 KB

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kinda looks like a Hanna Shusui maybe? I can't tell what the skin quality is like but it has a clean Zipper which is good. I have no idea what the value would be if it was a Japanese bred fish but others should know. Have you thought about showing it? That's the best way to see how it stacks up to the competition.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Hope J View Post
      Kinda looks like a Hanna Shusui maybe? I can't tell what the skin quality is like but it has a clean Zipper which is good. I have no idea what the value would be if it was a Japanese bred fish but others should know. Have you thought about showing it? That's the best way to see how it stacks up to the competition.
      We have a Virtual Koi Show coming up in December so all you need to do is bowl him in a blue bowl with a measuring tape to show
      its size, get a good picture, and get him judged by an actual Koi judge, Troy Head! We have a chat session after judging where you can
      ask him about how it measured up and why.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If this is shown and there is no direct competition then how do you determine anything? If it is shown and all the other Shusui are rubbish does it make it high quality? If it is shown and all the other Shusui are much better is it then low quality?
      Winning at Koi shows should never be used to determine the quality of a Koi.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Asagibottom View Post
      So this is one of several shusui I’ve collected. I’ll admit- not the most beautiful fish in the world and these pictures aren’t the greatest either. However, I do believe the fish is of some quality and the pictures don’t necessarily do it justice.

I know to determine the quality of a koi, one must judge the skin, the scale formation, the depth of color and placement, contour and shape of body as well as size and overall aesthetic.

In light of this, I ask two questions: how does it compare with some real bell dingers that often win runner up?

And if it were a fish sold by Oya or any other reputable breeder, what would you price this fish at?

And before we get started, I would like to save you some time...
      Yes, I know the photo quality is terrible- let’s make the best of this I bowled fish.
      Yes, I know it’s difficult to tell the skin quality and other key features, but again, as above...
      Yes, it’s a shusui and probably not the best quality- I can handle it. Either way, I don’t care!
      And last but not least, the fish has a very bright white face, a dark orange/red around blue eyes and is length: 16” it is in its 2nd year. Will be 2 in a few months.

Picture to follow.
      This is a decent quality fish but make. I would say $300.00.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

My daughter purchased a hanna shusui for me for Mother's Day. I hope mine looks as good as yours. It is only 1 year old, so maybe will be
      able to better tell next summer. Good luck with this one.

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by totallyvictorian View Post
      My daughter purchased a hanna shusui for me for Mother's Day. I hope mine looks as good as yours. It is only 1 year old, so maybe will be
      able to better tell next summer. Good luck with this one.
      Ahh that's cool! I've found that it's actually very easy to find good looking Shusui for a reasonable price. Asagi on the other hand, not so much... I'm sure yours will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      This is a decent quality fish but make. I would say $300.00.
      Hey, thanks! I need to bowl it for better pictures. It's cold here and I'm not really interested in getting in our pond. I bought this fish for $50 last year at 5" so if I sell it, (which I'm not ) I've already turned a profit!

I have now! Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't know where to show it -- I'm in the middle of IL and have 0 interest in heading to Chicago state.

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      We have a Virtual Koi Show coming up in December so all you need to do is bowl him in a blue bowl with a measuring tape to show
      its size, get a good picture, and get him judged by an actual Koi judge, Troy Head! We have a chat session after judging where you can
      ask him about how it measured up and why.
      I will try and do so soon. There's no way I'm getting in the ice to bowl a fish in December ! Thanks for the tip. Very helpful, as always!

If this is shown and there is no direct competition then how do you determine anything? If it is shown and all the other Shusui are rubbish does it make it high quality? If it is shown and all the other Shusui are much better is it then low quality?
      Well, if Troy is there he may be able to give some word edgewise. I appreciate all the input -- and more eyes on this fish would be nice in determining quality. Koi show would help. What's your take on this fish?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Obviously, as that goes for all shows no matter the species. And on that point, should I not enter shows for that reason? Or just go ahead and show because why not and it's a great way to SEE WITH MY OWN EYES the skin qualities that pictures and videos can't capture so that I can know true Hikari when I see it?
      I'm not dumb.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Obviously, as that goes for all shows no matter the species. And on that point, should I not enter shows for that reason? Or just go ahead and show because why not and it's a great way to SEE WITH MY OWN EYES the skin qualities that pictures and videos can't capture so that I can know true Hikari when I see it?
      I'm not dumb.
      I am confused, if it was obvious to you, then why did you post "That's the best way to see how it stacks up against the competition"? This implies to me that the quality of the fish would be determined by how well it did at a show. I must have been wrong.

If you win at a show and there is no competition there is nothing wrong with that. I do think it is a problem when people think that win means their Koi are better than they are or might be. If a Koi wins GC at one show, where there is nothing but lower quality fish but wins nothing at a Koi show where everything is very high quality should that win at the first show imply that it is a great fish with high quality? I think not. Should that person feel bad about that win at the first show? No, they should still feel good about it but hopefully they learned something.

The Koi in this thread has no Hikari. Did you mean seeing Hikari in general? I agree, it is always best to see Koi in person. This is the reason I attend the All Japan Koi Show every year.

BTW, I wan't implying you were dumb, I was just clarifying what was implied by what you said.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 10-20-2019 at 05:02 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You're right. It was a bad day. Sorry.

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

All the feels. In any case, thanks for bumping the post, I do appreciate it. It'd be cool if more people saw the fish to say one way or another. Guess I need better pictures.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You're right. It was a bad day. Sorry.
      Not a problem

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007