• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asagi x Blue Shusui

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Hope J View Post
      It might have been one of the others then, I probably switched out breeders because I read so much at one time.
      I understand. To make this a more productive endeavor, might I suggest you make notes about specific breeders and the characteristics? It will save you time in the long run to have a more concise record for reference.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      I understand. To make this a more productive endeavor, might I suggest you make notes about specific breeders and the characteristics? It will save you time in the long run to have a more concise record for reference.
      Definitely need to do this.

Orlando is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hope, since I have a pretty good understanding of what you are thinking about trying I have a small riddle for you to answer and all help you by providing some of the rough data. Its recommended that females should be at least 3yrs old minimum to be spawned and I have used 2yr old males. My first question for you is; are you planning on using some of the stock that you have previously posted? Those are still in the first year correct? Those two answers will give you an approximate time or year for the first spawn. After that first spawn approximately how many years you think it would take you to produce a koi that would have your approval for the color you are pursuing? And remember this is if you are using your current stock if not you can minus 2 to 3yrs and by the later I mean are you going to purchase adult breeders you can spawn next spring.
      A- 8 yrs
      B- 12 yrs
      C- 16 yrs
      D- 20 +yrs
      This is a fun exsercise for Hope and you can take a few days to research to come back with the closest answer, this is just for fun and educational purposes.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Hope, since I have a pretty good understanding of what you are thinking about trying I have a small riddle for you to answer and all help you by providing some of the rough data. Its recommended that females should be at least 3yrs old minimum to be spawned and I have used 2yr old males. My first question for you is; are you planning on using some of the stock that you have previously posted? Those are still in the first year correct? Those two answers will give you an approximate time or year for the first spawn. After that first spawn approximately how many years you think it would take you to produce a koi that would have your approval for the color you are pursuing? And remember this is if you are using your current stock if not you can minus 2 to 3yrs and by the later I mean are you going to purchase adult breeders you can spawn next spring.
      A- 8 yrs
      B- 12 yrs
      C- 16 yrs
      D- 20 +yrs
      This is a fun exsercise for Hope and you can take a few days to research to come back with the closest answer, this is just for fun and educational purposes.
      Ha! Initially, I was going to breed them as soon as I was able to, just to get cull for the Bass. Now, my goals have changed because I have been bit by the Koi Bug and badly. Soooooo, I have different spawns planned, with different Koi and for different reasons. Here is a preliminary break down (subject to change of course):

This year Spawn of any junk fish in Gen Pop (the crappy fish pond) that are mature enough to spawn. I have a couple that will be big enough as Nisai but I don't know if they will mature sexually in time to Spawn. If not, no biggies as once I get my Super Max Pond up and running, I will stock some better Tosai for brood stock. Gen Pop has a yellow Koi and two blue Shusui and a Shiro Bekko or something like that, that would be most likely to mature as Nisai.

Super Max
      My other little Intex that will hold my more important Koi like Beast (the Shusui I want to grow out and possibly show), my two little Ikarshis that I'm growing out, and a couple of new Tosai next year TBD except I know I will add an Asagi or two, and at least one red leather skin. These fish will all be grown out and then I will determine whether or not to use them or throw them in Gen Pop or sell them or whatever. I have to maximize my budget as much as possible but theoretically, the genes I need don't have to come from the best of the best (I can always try that later or if I win the lottery). I wish I could start breeding these fish this year but it's out of the question and I'm not going to pony up big $$$ for a Sansai so I will wait and learn and read and show.

Now then, as for how long I think it will take? Hmmm... The Japanese have already tried this with not much success and I definitely don't know more than they do so 20+ years is probably a realistic timeline I imagine I'll have some cool mutants here and there and if I did end up with one or two purple it's more likely just dumb luck than talent. Still fun tho and and interesting to try

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Asagi are one of the most challenging varieties to obtain offspring worth keeping around, and the ones that will look good at age 4 are not all that pretty as tosai. To obtain koi that you will want taking up space more long term, I suggest you either go for the most refined genetics.... Kohaku; or, go for bling... metallics. These are two extremes. Kohaku is the connoisseur's koi. Your offspring will likely not be as good as the parents, but folks usually find a few they enjoy keeping for quite a long time. Metallics are the newbie's koi, but even mutt metallics can draw the eye and give pleasure. I have seen a lot of flock spawnings produce awful fish, but if there are any Doitsu metallics among the offspring, they almost always draw the eye and bring a smile... for the first couple of years anyway. All the work & time can be very frustrating when nothing worthwhile comes out of it. A shiny Doitsu metallic of any color will almost always make family members say 'I like that one. What a beautiful fish.' Makes you feel good.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have a little Ikarashisi Gin Rin Asagi I can use once it gets bigger

jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Those are beautiful! My budget is a little smaller than that

Mes is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Found your wine colored koi!
      http://www.champkoi.com/koi/group/OCT2019-81

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
      Those are beautiful too I think my best bet for a red leatherskin is probably Ken Liu at Barstow. He has a huge operation and produces some phenominal Koi. He probably ends up with red leatherskins in his spawns from time to time and might be willing to keep an eye open for some during next years spawns.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12