• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Tiny red / black specks

beanbone is offline Supporting Member
      is finishing a build

Feeling:
      Crazy

Tiny red / black specks

My koi developed tiny red and black specks yesterday. This is coinciding with white fuzz around gills.

I did massive water change. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Brian

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't see anything strange in the picture. Red comes up on shiros fairly easily showing stress. The large water change may have been all that is needed and a large water change will have diluted any of the numbers that would have shown us any water quality issues. Because the fish have to live in the water, it is always best to start with tests of the water for pH, morning and evening, KH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Large shifts in pH, due to a lack of KH, are stressful and can potentially result in a pH crash that will kill the filter, and potentially the fish. High ammonia is also a stressor, burning the fishes gills and skin. High nitrites will cause red blood cells to be converted to brown blood cells that do not carry oxygen, so the fish can suffocate in water that is high in oxygen. Even if any other problem exists and the water is not great, the fish will not recover quickly or at all, so start there and give us some numbers to work with to help figure out the problem.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

beanbone is offline Supporting Member
      is finishing a build

Feeling:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      I don't see anything strange in the picture. Red comes up on shiros fairly easily showing stress. The large water change may have been all that is needed and a large water change will have diluted any of the numbers that would have shown us any water quality issues. Because the fish have to live in the water, it is always best to start with tests of the water for pH, morning and evening, KH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Large shifts in pH, due to a lack of KH, are stressful and can potentially result in a pH crash that will kill the filter, and potentially the fish. High ammonia is also a stressor, burning the fishes gills and skin. High nitrites will cause red blood cells to be converted to brown blood cells that do not carry oxygen, so the fish can suffocate in water that is high in oxygen. Even if any other problem exists and the water is not great, the fish will not recover quickly or at all, so start there and give us some numbers to work with to help figure out the problem.
      Thanks Rich. Tested this morning and all parameters are stable. I got lazy with filters and fed too much the last couple of weeks so Iím almost positive this was stress due to ammonia.

Why? The dots are gone and fuzz gone. Fish are active and happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Brian