Thread: Will this set up work?

KoiFan84 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Will this set up work?

My new pond filtration setup:

Pond roughly 17x13x4.25(avg depth) which is roughly 7K gallons

- Pipe from 1 4" aerated BD joining Savio skimmer(just leaf basket) pipe then to external pump(either 7300 GPH or 8800 GPH) with primer pot/basket only about 7 ft from and 1.5ft above skimmer.

- Then uphill about 12-15ft to sieve (model with appropriate GPH flow capacity?).

- Then downhill slightly for about 5 ft to 3 or maybe 4 fluid bed bio 55 gallon barrels

- Then pipe or pipes(?) gradually slope diagonally downhill for roughly 30ft to roughly 5 ft long stream.

- Stream curves right so that waterfall empties at a partially diagonal angle(diagonal allows for it to be viewed from window), pointing straight at the partially diagonal facing skimmer in the opposite corner of pond.

- May possibly feed 1 fluid bed barrel that is next to others into a TPR pipe that goes downhill parallel to the pipe that empties into top of stream

- It would go past stream then curve as gradually as possible into far side wall while still allowing pipe output to point in straight line.

- It would produce current shooting straight across to to the partially diagonal facing skimmer.
      I was thinking four 55 gallon barrel Sand/Gravel filters, but I feel like the sieve is better for larger debris and would not reduce GPH as much. Is this a good plan on a budget??
      Thanks for any advice!!

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

IMO the sieve alone is not enough mechanical filtration. All the fine stuff will get through. You need the SG filters.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by KoiFan84 View Post
      My new pond filtration setup:

Pond roughly 17x13x4.25(avg depth) which is roughly 7K gallons

- Pipe from 1 4" aerated BD joining Savio skimmer(just leaf basket) pipe then to external pump(either 7300 GPH or 8800 GPH) with primer pot/basket only about 7 ft from and 1.5ft above skimmer.

- Then uphill about 12-15ft to sieve (model with appropriate GPH flow capacity?).

- Then downhill slightly for about 5 ft to 3 or maybe 4 fluid bed bio 55 gallon barrels

- Then pipe or pipes(?) gradually slope diagonally downhill for roughly 30ft to roughly 5 ft long stream.

- Stream curves right so that waterfall empties at a partially diagonal angle(diagonal allows for it to be viewed from window), pointing straight at the partially diagonal facing skimmer in the opposite corner of pond.

- May possibly feed 1 fluid bed barrel that is next to others into a TPR pipe that goes downhill parallel to the pipe that empties into top of stream

- It would go past stream then curve as gradually as possible into far side wall while still allowing pipe output to point in straight line.

- It would produce current shooting straight across to to the partially diagonal facing skimmer.
      I was thinking four 55 gallon barrel Sand/Gravel filters, but I feel like the sieve is better for larger debris and would not reduce GPH as much. Is this a good plan on a budget??
      Thanks for any advice!!
      I don't know of a sieve that you could pump feed that much water. You'd need 2 Cetus sieves (each has a capacity of about 4700 gph).
      Running the BD directly to a pump is not a good idea imo due to the amount of debris that will end up in your priming pot.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the tips! Could you guys clarify the attributes of sand/gravel 55 barrel vs. sieve? (i.e. debris size, cleaning, reduction of gph flow, etc.)
      - Also could I run just the BD to the Cetus sieve then have the Cetus’s output join the skimmer output pipe which would then go to the pump that has primer pot/basket? My pond is not going to have much debris falling into it because it is in a fenced yard with only a few trees on the other side of the fence. Thanks!

Jojoartie is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Btw, i think just one bd is not enough. I would do two 4” drains along with a stategically placed skimmer. Place it opposite the waterfall/stream but also down wind. Both will help to push leaves etc into the skimmer. If you are planning on a 7k gal pond, i would go for 2x turnover. If it is in full sun, warm temps (i would think so for Ga) and lots of pollen and leaves, etc, you will not be happy with a 1x turnover rate. You will have maintenance issues. Imo, the best option is gravity fed to your mechanical filter. This way the pump iis right after that. So your sieve would be first, then the pumps then on to your s/g filters, moving beds, showers, etc. Depending on your budget, much of this can be diy’d for now. Always leave room for the possibility of changing your filtration in the future. Make sure you have room for a UV, probably a 110w, again depending on how much sun and fish load. For reference, i had 3 s/g filters on a 5k pond, so you may need 4. I had to clean them each twice weekly in the summer months. Again, price out all that you will need. Sometimes for a few extra dollars it may make sense to upgrade to better filtration to start with.

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

If you are cramped for room, if you give up about 4 feet of length and go deeper a foot you will maintain a good volume and make room for two sieves (8-10k gpm capacity), each fed by their own BD, and still use the same footprint as you planned. The skimmer can go to the sieves if leaves are a big problem, or directly to the pump. The pump lifts to 4 sand & gravel barrels (8k gph capacity), where you were going to put your sieve. From there go to your bio filters and keep the rest of the plan.
      Just my thoughts.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks a lot for the thoughts!

- I've heard that a 4" aerated BD has a pull of 10-12 ft 360 degrees. So I think, with my pond being 17x13, I'm going to stick with 1 BD.
      - The BD will go straight the sieve then pump.
      - Savio skimmer has good leaf basket so it will go straight to pump.
      - Then up to S/G filters.
      - Then to Fluid Beds

- But I'm worried that with 3 or four 55gal barrel S/G filters and 3 or four 55 gal fluid beds, the gph flow will reduce dramatically by the time the pipe empties into the stream. Is that right??
      Last edited by KoiFan84; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:47 AM.

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Thanks for the tips! Could you guys clarify the attributes of sand/gravel 55 barrel vs. sieve? (i.e. debris size, cleaning, reduction of gph flow, etc.)
      Differences between a typical sieve and s/g filter:
      Debris size for a sieve is normally a minimum of about 200 microns; a s/g filter is about 50 microns.
      Cleaning difficulty is similar... almost zero. The s/g filter takes a little more effort imo, but they are two different style filters.
      Reduction of flow is really not relevant since a sieve is usually gravity fed and a s/g filter is pump fed... but I would say that
      a s/g filter is at a bit of disadvantage since its flow capacity is about 2000 gph which is much less than most sieves.

But since they're really two filters designed to do two different things, it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

- Also could I run just the BD to the Cetus sieve then have the Cetusís output join the skimmer output pipe which would then go to the pump that has primer pot/basket? My pond is not going to have much debris falling into it because it is in a fenced yard with only a few trees on the other side of the fence. Thanks!
      Absolutely. That's how many people incorporate two circuits with one pump. Just tee the flow from the skimmer into the line feeding
      the pump with a ball valve.
      --Steve

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Differences between a typical sieve and s/g filter:
      Debris size for a sieve is normally a minimum of about 200 microns; a s/g filter is about 50 microns.
      Cleaning difficulty is similar... almost zero. The s/g filter takes a little more effort imo, but they are two different style filters.
      Reduction of flow is really not relevant since a sieve is usually gravity fed and a s/g filter is pump fed... but I would say that
      a s/g filter is at a bit of disadvantage since its flow capacity is about 2000 gph which is much less than most sieves.

But since they're really two filters designed to do two different things, it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

Absolutely. That's how many people incorporate two circuits with one pump. Just tee the flow from the skimmer into the line feeding
      the pump with a ball valve.
      Sounds good! - So to be clear, if the sieve is before the pump, then it has to be elevated above the pump so it can gravity flow right? - Then as long as the pump is also above the water level it can pump uphill to the S/G and fluid bed barrels right? - Then the fluid bed needs to be able to outlet flow downhill right? Thanks!

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Sounds good! - So to be clear, if the sieve is before the pump, then it has to be elevated above the pump so it can gravity flow right? - Then as long as the pump is also above the water level it can pump uphill to the S/G and fluid bed barrels right? - Then the fluid bed needs to be able to outlet flow downhill right? Thanks!
      Doesn't really have anything to do with the pump height. If the sieve is gravity fed, the top of the sieve needs
      to be just slightly over max pond level. The pump is usually placed at the same level as the bottom of the sieve.
      The pump can pump uphill to the s/g filter and/or fluid beds depending on the height it's pumping up to and the
      abilities of the pump, but again, the height of the placement of the pump isn't dependent on that.
      And yes, if the filter is gravity returning the water to the pond, it needs to be above pond level.
      --Steve

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

- I've heard that a 4" aerated BD has a pull of 10-12 ft 360 degrees. So I think, with my pond being 17x13, I'm going to stick with 1 BD.
      The general rule is a 4" aerated BD will pull a 10 to 12 feet diameter circle. That is a circle around the drain with a radius of 5 to 6 feet.
      That is the reason I recommended you need to have two BD's for the 17 x 13 pond dimension. Even if you shorten the pond 4 feet to provide room for gravity sieves you would still need two BD's I believe.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh okay. Thanks.