• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 6 of 6

    Thread: How long did it take your koi to be friendly?

    1. #1
      Mes's Avatar
      Mes is online now Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      PDX, Oregon
      Posts
      112

      How long did it take your koi to be friendly?

      I got a few koi in July and August that just won't be out and about in my presence. I have a camera on the pond and can see my koi swimming around when I'm not there (unless it is in full sun which happens for about 45 minutes a day), and I can see them at the surface when I walk up, but after I place food in the water and they are done eating, they immediately go and hide on the bottom of the pond, opposite of me.
      Because they are acting normally when people are not present, I know it's not a sickness. They just dislike or are scared of people, unless food is involved, from what I can tell. I assume they believe we will predate on them given the chance, even though they understand people = food. yes, I've caught them once to take pictures but even before that it was the same story... and other people's koi don't seem to hate them after they are netted either.

      I've sat next to the pond browsing the internet for an hour and a half and they never came back out during that time, only to come out not 5 minutes after I left.

      How long do you think it will be before they are comfortable with humans? Why aren't they? What can I do to speed up or help the process? Never have owned fish this shy in my life. And now the goldfish are following in their footsteps!
      How long does it take your fish to get used to you?

      I guess... "patience is a virtue"?
      Last edited by Mes; 1 Week Ago at 02:37 PM.

    2. #2
      Orlando is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      499
      The size of the koi sometimes has to do with their shyness also is there are just a few koi like two or three that can also contribute to their shyness I recommend you find something natural like an orange piece or a small piece of a sweet bake potato and don't feed for a couple of days and just come out with something for them just throw a very small piece into the water let them eat it and sit at the ponds edge with some of the same food in your hand to see if one or more show interest and anything you can identify with an approach attempt reward them with another small piece without any big moves try to keep your hands low so as your profile it can take weeks for that process to work if it works that's why lots of folks keep a chagoi or an Ochiba those are just two of a few koi with friendlier demeanor others will chime in with their ideas, good luck.

    3. #3
      icu2's Avatar
      icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying
       
      Feeling:
      Piratey
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Poulsbo, WA
      Posts
      28,433
      I couldn't agree more that a chagoi or ochiba will usually help. Koi remind me of Lemmings. If one is afraid
      it's often difficult to get any of the others to be brave enough to realize they're not facing certain death. Often
      a chagoi will throw caution to the wind and come up for a handout.
      I don't spend near enough time by the pond because, like you, it's often cold and wet... and this year seems like
      it was even more so. But don't get discouraged. Hunger is often a big motivator of bravery... unless the water
      starts to get pretty cold.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

      "I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

    4. #4
      Mes's Avatar
      Mes is online now Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      PDX, Oregon
      Posts
      112
      Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      The size of the koi sometimes has to do with their shyness also is there are just a few koi like two or three that can also contribute to their shyness I recommend you find something natural like an orange piece or a small piece of a sweet bake potato and don't feed for a couple of days and just come out with something for them just throw a very small piece into the water let them eat it and sit at the ponds edge with some of the same food in your hand to see if one or more show interest and anything you can identify with an approach attempt reward them with another small piece without any big moves try to keep your hands low so as your profile it can take weeks for that process to work if it works that's why lots of folks keep a chagoi or an Ochiba those are just two of a few koi with friendlier demeanor others will chime in with their ideas, good luck.
      My koi range in size, from 8-9 inches to one that is maybe 4 inches long... not exactly jumbo potential, lol. Growing my fish has actually been a struggle. I've noticed very little growth despite feeding growth food a few times a day and doing a lot of water changes to keep the water good. A couple koi are growing much better then the others but the smallest isn't growing well, enough though I make sure he gets enough food.

      Thank you for the feeding ideas. I am planning on getting an ochiba and a chagoi next spring when the real pond is ready, but for now I am keeping the stocking levels down as 300 gallons isn't a whole lot for growing koi. If the pond isn't ready by then, then they will all be headed for vacation in an Intex pool, lol.

      Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I couldn't agree more that a chagoi or ochiba will usually help. Koi remind me of Lemmings. If one is afraid
      it's often difficult to get any of the others to be brave enough to realize they're not facing certain death. Often
      a chagoi will throw caution to the wind and come up for a handout.
      I don't spend near enough time by the pond because, like you, it's often cold and wet... and this year seems like
      it was even more so. But don't get discouraged. Hunger is often a big motivator of bravery... unless the water
      starts to get pretty cold.
      Because of school I also have issues finding a lot of time to spend by the pond but I have my weekends. I like to go out with a book or my phone and a cup of tea and just sit and enjoy the sound of the water.... I'd enjoy the fish too, if I could see them! but yeah, its starting to get too cold and dark to enjoy it much.
      I'll be sure to add a chagoi and ochiba when I have a bit more room. I'm really excited to have a bit more water to work with. More water = new fish! :

      Anyways, I hope they'll warm up to people eventually but now that it's getting cold I'm not sure it'll matter that much soon. I wish the warm season was longer here!

    5. #5
      Nguyen365's Avatar
      Nguyen365 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Bakersfield ca
      Posts
      1,672
      Every time you come out to the pond throw food in, itll take awhile. Dont use an auto feeder if you are training your koi to be friendly.

      https://youtu.be/KhZUCl2Gw6k
      Last edited by Nguyen365; 1 Week Ago at 10:07 PM.

    6. #6
      Mes's Avatar
      Mes is online now Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      PDX, Oregon
      Posts
      112
      Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      Every time you come out to the pond throw food in, itll take awhile. Dont use an auto feeder if you are training your koi to be friendly.

      https://youtu.be/KhZUCl2Gw6k
      Done and done. I feed 'em whenever I come around and always feed by hand. I don't really trust autofeeders based on my experience with them in aquariums and feeding fry but I've thought about it for the future... when I have big fish.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •