• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doitsu koi dying

Vaul is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I’m using Dimilin on my pond, either my temperature or ph must have been messed by the rain and roof runoff’s, so, the new fish were not able to cope. That’s what I’m guessing at this point. The lice maybe from the roof runoff’s as well, possible that there’s stagnant water in the gutter that had lice and it got transferred into the pond since it’s raining every day here in the past 2 weeks. I’ll have to keep monitoring. I can’t rebuild the pond elsewhere, so I’m going to have to extend my roof to avoid rain water directly or runoff’s from entering the pond.

I’ve done overcrowding of large cichlids and community fish, just that I’ve got to be on top of my maintenance. I guess koi don’t work the same way as other fishes. I’ll keep monitoring and if I’m not over this crisis, then, I’ll have to re-home some of the koi.

Also, quick question on the number of koi I can keep in my pond as a grow out? I initially felt 15 would be a decent number as a growout and dwindle it down to 5-7 in my pond.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As I mentioned, KH/alkalinity is critical. It can create its own health issues unto death but it will also inhibit their ability to deal with any illness or parasites. It's why we always start with water quality as there is no point throwing medications and treatments into a pond where the water quality is contributing factor.

I would redirect the rain water away from the pond. I would maintain your KH at no less than 120ppm. This gives your filters something to work with to process the fish load. Bind any ammonia and add baking soda to achieve that value.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I fully concur with the KH. Rain water has zero KH, so many of us add baking soda to raise the KH before high rain events. Roof runoff would concentrate the amount of rain water entering the pond, over that that falls directly. In addition, particularly after some dry time, a roof will have significant dust and pollution deposit on it over time that is then washed off with rain events, making it even worse. Getting some form of diversion of the rain water away from the pond will be a big help. I am not aware of a maximum KH and any KH above about 80 or 90 PPM will yield the same pH, usually slightly above 8, depending on aeration, which drives off carbon dioxide. I have run my ponds with KH of well over 200 with no harmful effects, that I am aware of.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12