• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi not swimming around during daytime

jetzkickzz is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question Koi not swimming around during daytime

Hi guys, I'm a new member here. I already got my new pond cycled for almost a month and then I've added 3 koi fishes for about a week now. I just noticed that they're not swimming around during daytime, they tend to stay at the corner but they're not gasping or showing signs of lethargy. They swim about 1 to 2 feet away from the corner sometimes but will swim fast back to the corner too. During feeding, they eat alot!!! I kinda throw the pellets just a few feet away from and when they grab some they'll swim again so fast back to the corner and stay there for about 30 sec. and then grab some pellets again. They'll stay again at the corner when they've fiwhen they've finished eating. I'm aware that newly introduced fish needs some time to adapt but I was kinda anxious when will this last. I'd be honest, it's not enjoyable to watch them just stay at the corner and sort of defeat my purpose of having a relaxing pond.

Btw, during night time, when I try to use my flash light, they swim around at the bottom of the pond and will inspect, I guess food or bugs, from the surface sometimes.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

N1ck is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I had something similar happened to me this year, in my case i had an heron visiting my pond, some goldfish got eaten. They were constantly at the bottom of the pond on the alert during the day and started swimming around only during the night probably feeling safer from predators.

When you say at the corner do you mean still near the surface? Could they just be looking for shadow to hide?

graybird is online now Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Welcome to Koiphen!

This sounds like they are just not yet adapted to being in your pond, but here are aome questions for you. First, please tell us how many gallons and how deep your pond is. Then please test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH, pH and temperature and report back. If all those are within range, look at whether these koi are "exposed" in the pond, i.e. is there overhead shade? Any protection from perceived predators or sun? Some people put up shade sails over their ponds. Finally, how much air are you supplying?

It normally takes fish a few weeks to adjust to a new pond where there is not a preexisting herd. Be sure to continue to spend time pondside, so they can get used to you too. Tiny amounts of food, 3-4 pellets at a time, will keep them intrigued.
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by N1ck View Post
      I had something similar happened to me this year, in my case i had an heron visiting my pond, some goldfish got eaten. They were constantly at the bottom of the pond on the alert during the day and started swimming around only during the night probably feeling safer from predators.

When you say at the corner do you mean still near the surface? Could they just be looking for shadow to hide?
      Thanks Nick, I am already seeing an improvement since yesterday, they're already swimming around during daytime but when they noticed me theyll go back to the corner so I kinda sneak around so I can watch them explore the pond without being noticed. As for the heron, I guess it's not the case since we don't have any specie of large birds or those that hunt fishes within our area or near us. I was thinking, could be our dogs since they love to stroll around near our pond.

When they're in the corner, they actually stay at the middle portion/level of the water. Coz I have some rocks too near the corner (I've hidden my pvc pipes with these rocks) but only the small butterfly koi hides to it since it's the only that can fit.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      Welcome to Koiphen!

This sounds like they are just not yet adapted to being in your pond, but here are aome questions for you. First, please tell us how many gallons and how deep your pond is. Then please test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH, pH and temperature and report back. If all those are within range, look at whether these koi are "exposed" in the pond, i.e. is there overhead shade? Any protection from perceived predators or sun? Some people put up shade sails over their ponds. Finally, how much air are you supplying?

It normally takes fish a few weeks to adjust to a new pond where there is not a preexisting herd. Be sure to continue to spend time pondside, so they can get used to you too. Tiny amounts of food, 3-4 pellets at a time, will keep them intrigued.
      I agree, it's most likely the case. Oh sorry forgot to include it in my original post, here's the pond specs and my water param.

Pond:
      9ft long x 5 ft wide
      the deepest portion is 32 inches and the shallow portion is 22 inches.

Water Param (tested 4 days ago)
      ph: 8.0 to 8.2
      ammomia: 0ppm
      nitrate: 0ppm
      nitrite: 0ppm

As for the shade, got some couple tall plants and a young tree (only one) that extends their branches over my pond. My pond is exposed directly under the sun but only during 9am to 12 noon (recently had an algae bloom). I got a decent amount of aeration, on the other side is my waterfall from my bog/gravel filter (last stage) then on the other end of my pond is via an airstone (air pump).

Oh I see, thanks for the tips! got an improvement since yesterday because I am, seeing them explore the pond when I'm sneakimg around and during feeding, they tend not be that afraid anymore (not swimmimg fast back to the corner when they're able to grab the pellets). Hopefully, it'll improve more in the next coming days.

N1ck is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jetzkickzz View Post
      I was thinking, could be our dogs since they love to stroll around near our pond.
      If it is they will get used to him soon with no problems.
      I have cats and dogs that go there to drink and none of my fish care about them.