• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: KH & GH Testing

lorettalea is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

KH & GH Testing

I have a 8000 gallon koi pond that is 15 years old. Never had any problems until this summer when we lost 3 large koi, probably because of an ammonia spike. Now the water parameters are excellent, nitrites (0), ammonia (0), pH is 7 TO 7.5. Recently got the API KH / GH test kits and have a question. When I add the drops it appears to me the solution changes colors after 3 drops. The KH instructions say add drops until the color turns blue to bright yellow, but bright yellow is subjective, at least to me. When looking through tube test it turns pale yellow but if I remove the cap and look down through the tube the yellow appears darker. Do I keep adding drops until it turns dark looking through the tube or from above? This is probably one of those stupid questions but I don't want to try and adjust anything unless I know for sure if needed. Thanks!

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by lorettalea View Post
      I have a 8000 gallon koi pond that is 15 years old. Never had any problems until this summer when we lost 3 large koi, probably because of an ammonia spike. Now the water parameters are excellent, nitrites (0), ammonia (0), pH is 7 TO 7.5. Recently got the API KH / GH test kits and have a question. When I add the drops it appears to me the solution changes colors after 3 drops. The KH instructions say add drops until the color turns blue to bright yellow, but bright yellow is subjective, at least to me. When looking through tube test it turns pale yellow but if I remove the cap and look down through the tube the yellow appears darker. Do I keep adding drops until it turns dark looking through the tube or from above? This is probably one of those stupid questions but I don't want to try and adjust anything unless I know for sure if needed. Thanks!
      Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!

Just till it turns color, but you could add a drop or two more and see if makes any difference,
      but I don't think you'll see it get much "brighter". If it does you can figure your somewhere between
      3 and 4 drops (53.4 ppm to 71.2 ppm). Either one is low and if your ammonia is in check you should
      add baking soda to bring it up to in the area of 150 ppm (8 or 9 drops). There's a forum calculator to help
      figure how much to add to see the change you want:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calckh

Enjoy the forum!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I am at 50ppm and it needs to be increased to 150ppm the amount of baking soda should be divided into 5 separate doses. What time interval between doses? This forum is a lifesaver, really happy to be here.

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by lorettalea View Post
      Thanks for the quick reply. So if I am at 50ppm and it needs to be increased to 150ppm the amount of baking soda should be divided into 5 separate doses. What time interval between doses? This forum is a lifesaver, really happy to be here.
      If there's no immediate threat to the fishes health I'd divide the doses into one a day and keep monitoring the KH.
      It'll get used by your bio filters so it may not stay at what you anticipated as your bio filters use it and get more up
      to speed.
      --Steve

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Another question, I added baking soda yesterday and today the KH is 5 drops but the ammonia has risen from 0 to 0.25. Is this to be expected?

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I've never seen adding baking soda effect the ammonia level but you might skip a day and see
      if the ammonia drops back. I know mine varies sometimes throughout the day and if you're
      using the API drop tests sometimes it's hard to tell between 0 and 0.25, so as long as the fish
      aren't distressed, slow and easy is best imho.
      --Steve