• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Water Hammer Issues on Autofill

Jojoartie is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Water Hammer Issues on Autofill

A question for the plumbing guruís on this site...
      I have a hudson autofill on my pond that is installed on a garden hose which is hooked up to my house about 50 or so feet away. I am getting terrible water hammering on the pipe every time the autofill is triggered. I can see why as the water kinda comes out in bursts from the autofill. I tried installing a minirester (like you would use on a washing machine) on the water spigot which did not solve the problem. Is there anything else that might help, like perhaps a pressure regulator for drip irrigation which might reduce the overall pressure on the line?

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

I think the minirester will have a greater effect closer to the autofill valve, can you install it at the end of the 50 foot hose?

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You don't need a huge flow out of the Hudson valve to work. Just put a ball valve anywhere before the Hudson valve and just open this a little. A quality inline garden hose ball valve is inexpensive. Experiment how far you can open the valve without water hammer. Water hammer is caused by the inertia of the flow being quickly stopped. Slow the flow down and the inertia is greatly reduced. Since the flow rate is slower this will also mean it takes a little longer to fill.

Reducing line pressure with a regulator will also reduce the flow rate but unless you buy an adjustable regulator you can't change without replacing.
      Last edited by batman; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:41 AM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      You don't need a huge flow out of the Hudson valve to work. Just put a ball valve anywhere before the Hudson valve and just open this a little. A quality inline garden hose ball valve is inexpensive. Experiment how far you can open the valve without water hammer. Water hammer is caused by the inertia of the flow being quickly stopped. Slow the flow down and the inertia is greatly reduced. Since the flow rate is slower this will also mean it takes a little longer to fill.

Reducing line pressure with a regulator will also reduce the flow rate but unless you buy an adjustable regulator you can't change without replacing.
      I do have a splitter about 10ft before the valve which has a ball valve on it so i will try dialing that down as well. Thanks for the idea.

kby103 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jojoartie View Post
      A question for the plumbing guruís on this site...
      I have a hudson autofill on my pond that is installed on a garden hose which is hooked up to my house about 50 or so feet away. I am getting terrible water hammering on the pipe every time the autofill is triggered. I can see why as the water kinda comes out in bursts from the autofill. I tried installing a minirester (like you would use on a washing machine) on the water spigot which did not solve the problem. Is there anything else that might help, like perhaps a pressure regulator for drip irrigation which might reduce the overall pressure on the line?
      You can put a pressure reducing valve on the line in front of the garden hose. You can actually get a few adapters on both sides (garden hose to pipe thread on inlet, opposite on outlet- get a pressure valve with threaded fitting) and thread it onto the hose bib.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Wilkins-600...-Valve/3134059

Russell Peters is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Someone once posted you can have the water hammer affect on an RDF which is an open system.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

I’ve had the same problem for years.
      I’ve put on a minirester right before a pressure reducer right before the Hudson valve...which didn’t work.
      Hammers every time the valve opens.

Honestly I’ve given up. Let me know if you’re able to figure it out.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, so i placed a ball valve closer to the hudson valve. It is only like 1/4 open so i’m guessing the gph is down near 10 gph. If i recall correctly, the valve said it will operate between 8-100 gph. I finally have quiet! Thanks again to Batman!