• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Must biofilter have a separate container?

SimonW is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Must biofilter have a separate container?

Hello friends:

I am trying to keep koi-keeping as simple as possible, as I have so many other things to do in my life that I cannot be so dedicated to koi-keeping, but I still love koi and want to be able to have this hobby.

I have now about 150 koi fries at 1-2 inches that I want to keep in-doors over the coming winter. I have five 200-liter ( 53 gallons) plastic barrels for that purpose, but I cannot make 5 separate biofilters and circulations for them. So I plan to do the following:

I use spawning brushes directly in the barrels as biofilter. I aerate the brushes relatively vigorously so that water flows through them. Will this management work well? I cannot think of any reason why this will not work.

Thank you so much for your comments!

Paultergeist is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There are multiple questions embedded within your post. I will try to comment on a couple of them; I am sure others will also weigh in, possibly with superior guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      I use spawning brushes directly in the barrels as biofilter. I aerate the brushes relatively vigorously so that water flows through them. Will this management work well? I cannot think of any reason why this will not work.
      I believe what you are trying to ask here is: can you have the bio-media in the same container as the fish? The technical answer is yes -- virtually any surface area in contact with the water and receiving adequate oxygen will colonize with nitrifying bacteria, and in that sense will be bio-filtration.

I added emphasis to the word "well." In my opinion, this approach will work to some degree, but it will not work well. Why not? A number of reasons, but poor control of actual water cycling through filtration media and little-to-no waste removal are some of the limitations I see right away. Also, brushes alone will not yield a lot of surface area.

I have now about 150 koi fries at 1-2 inches that I want to keep in-doors over the coming winter. I have five 200-liter ( 53 gallons) plastic barrels for that purpose.
      You should expect those fish to grow -- a lot. That which you are proposing is no where near the adequate amount of water for that many fish. I think you will be plagued with water quality problems and many sick/dead fish if you try to over-winter anything close to that number of fish in so little water volume.

SimonW is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! Efter your advice I will try to set up an extra 1 m3 tank for my fries indoors, with circulation, aeration and biofilter. But will that be enough? I fear that they will grow a lot during the 6 months of winter time here, so that 1 m3 is not enough.

To be honest I have had them (about 150 fries of 1-2 inches) in a plastic pool with a volume of 2.5 m3 or 660 gallons since 2 months back, without aeration or circulation but a lot of vegetation like string algae, duckweed and Elodea canadensis that cover 1/2 of the surface, with direct sun for the plants. The fries all look happy and healthy, and I am happy too, as I love the idea of vegetation taking care of fish wastes better than nitrification bacteria doing it.