• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Help needed on Koi Pond Constuction and Filteration

Jack713 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Help needed on Koi Pond Constuction and Filteration

I am in the process building a pool and a concrete koi pond. I have some questions on my design that I hope you can help me with. I read the construction sickies by I need some help pulling it all together.

Design and Current Equipment Summary

Pond size: 2,400 gallons. Dimensions: 8 x 10 and depth of 4 feet. Formal design and no waterfall.

Biological filter: 2 55gl drums that are connected. Water enters the bottom of drum 1 and flows out the top to the bottom of drum 2 and out the top of drum 2 through a 3 pipe back to the pond.

Pump: 1 HP 4,500 GPH, external pump with leaf basket

20 Watt UV light

Skimmer: No niche type

Bottom drain: 3. I will slope the bottom of the pond to the drain.

2 returns from the pump for water that bypassed the biological filter

Overflow drain

Lights

Questions:

1) Bottom drain: Is a single 3 bottom drain enough or do I need two?

2) Filtration: The pump will pull water from the bottom drain and skimmer. After the pump, the water will flow through the UV light the to a value where 800 GPH will flow through the biological filter and the rest of the water will bypass the filter and flow into the pond through 2 return jets. The water from the biological filter will flow back to pond in a 3 pipe.

3) Should more than 800 GPH of water flow through the biological filer?

4) For the water being drained from the bottom drain should it pass through anything before the pump?

5) Aeration: In addition to my pump, do I need air pump? If so, I saw a diagram with an air stone over the bottom drain. Do you recommend that? Do people ever put an air stone in the filter system instead of the pond?

6) Concrete: I was going to coat the contract with Seal Tite sealer. Any suggestions?

7) Lighting: Any suggestions?

Thanks fo all the help!

Jack713

Tony&koi is offline Senior Member
      is A guy with his fishes.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Jack, where in Texas are you located?

If you are close to Houston, come see my pond.

1 HP 4,500 GPH - This pump does not sound right to me.
      Tony

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jack713 View Post
      I am in the process building a pool and a concrete koi pond. I have some questions on my design that I hope you can help me with. I read the construction sickies by I need some help pulling it all together.

Design and Current Equipment Summary

Pond size: 2,400 gallons. Dimensions: 8 x 10 and depth of 4 feet. Formal design and no waterfall.

Biological filter: 2 55gl drums that are connected. Water enters the bottom of drum 1 and flows out the top to the bottom of drum 2 and out the top of drum 2 through a 3 pipe back to the pond.

Pump: 1 HP 4,500 GPH, external pump with leaf basket ​This if fine but there are more efficient pumps out there than a 1HP pump. I think the best thing about your design is your turnover rate. At 2,400 gallons of water I would shoot for a turnover rate of 4,000gph. Most people don't get this.

20 Watt UV light

Skimmer: No niche type

Bottom drain: 3. I will slope the bottom of the pond to the drain.

2 returns from the pump for water that bypassed the biological filter

Overflow drain

Lights

Questions:

1) Bottom drain: Is a single 3 bottom drain enough or do I need two?This is fine

2) Filtration: The pump will pull water from the bottom drain and skimmer. After the pump, the water will flow through the UV light the to a value where 800 GPH will flow through the biological filter and the rest of the water will bypass the filter and flow into the pond through 2 return jets. The water from the biological filter will flow back to pond in a 3 pipe. What are you doing for mechanical filtration?

3) Should more than 800 GPH of water flow through the biological filer?Big mistake. All of your water should flow through your biological filtration. You are diluting it's efficiency and you will not have good results. This is also a mistake for your UV light.

4) For the water being drained from the bottom drain should it pass through anything before the pump?before or after the pump you need a mechanical filter.

5) Aeration: In addition to my pump, do I need air pump? If so, I saw a diagram with an air stone over the bottom drain. Do you recommend that? Do people ever put an air stone in the filter system instead of the pond?With the biological system you have designed it will not be as good to have air in your filter. This is because you are diluting your water. It would be much better to have an aerated bottom drain dome.

6) Concrete: I was going to coat the contract with Seal Tite sealer. Any suggestions?Xypex

7) Lighting: Any suggestions?Nothing in the water, Koi don't need it, but you can light from above

Thanks fo all the help!

Jack713
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Hi Jack, Welcome to The Forum. With the system you have planned you are going to be recirculating an awful lot of crap (literally) back into the pond. You need to have some mechanical filtration to take that stuff out before the water gets to your biological filter. Also it would be best to have a pre-filter before the pump to get most of the waste out of the water before it gets chewed up by the pump. For the aerated bottom drain most people use an air diffuser rather than air stones. It is a rubber membrane with slits cut in it that doesn't clog as easily as an air stone. What brand of pump are you using? It sounds like it's not very efficient because my pump is 1/3 horsepower and rated at 4500 GPH. Running 24/7 that can make a big difference in your electric bill. Others will chime in, but meanwhile read up on Sand and Gravel filters and sieve prefilters.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pickerel View Post
      Hi Jack, Welcome to The Forum. With the system you have planned you are going to be recirculating an awful lot of crap (literally) back into the pond. You need to have some mechanical filtration to take that stuff out before the water gets to your biological filter. Also it would be best to have a pre-filter before the pump to get most of the waste out of the water before it gets chewed up by the pump. For the aerated bottom drain most people use an air diffuser rather than air stones. It is a rubber membrane with slits cut in it that doesn't clog as easily as an air stone. What brand of pump are you using? It sounds like it's not very efficient because my pump is 1/3 horsepower and rated at 4500 GPH. Running 24/7 that can make a big difference in your electric bill. Others will chime in, but meanwhile read up on Sand and Gravel filters and sieve prefilters.
      First, thanks for the response. I greatly appreciate it!

The pump I have is a Waterway Hi FLO 11 Side Discharge 48 Frame. It has 2 settings, Low and HI. For low with a 10' of head it pumps 90 GPM so that is 5,400 GPH. On High Setting 170 GPM so that is 10,200 GPH. It has a Century motor. I thought I would just run that on low.

If I am circulating the water at 5400 GPH do I need Aerattion too? I would be having water flowing into the pond. Assume I have average fish load.

I will look into mechanical filter and sleve prefilter. It makes sense you need a mechanical filter if you have a bottom drain. 20 years a go I had a 700 gallon pond with no bottom drain and a very large skimmer and large biological filter. It worked well but I had to use a net to clean the bottom. But if you pull the stuff off the bottom of the pond you would need some sort of filter to keep the debris out of the biological filter.

Any recommendations for 2,400 mechanical filter or sleve?

Again, thanks for all the help!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Tony&koi View Post
      Jack, where in Texas are you located?

If you are close to Houston, come see my pond.

1 HP 4,500 GPH - This pump does not sound right to me.
      The pump I have is a Waterway Hi FLO 11 Side Discharge 48 Frame. It has 2 settings, Low and HI. For low with a 10' of head it pumps 90 GPM so that is 5,400 GPH. On High Setting 170 GPM so that is 10,200 GPH. It has a Century motor. I thought I would just run that on low.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Thanks for all the comments! They are a big help! Any recommendations on a mechanical filter?

ricshaw is offline Supporting Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by Jack713 View Post
      Thanks for all the comments! They are a big help! Any recommendations on a mechanical filter?
      Zakki Sieve --> Zakki Sieve... The Direct Suction Pre-Filter