• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Basic Priming Question

UtsuriKoi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Basic Priming Question

I am setting up a new tank and need some guidance on plumbing and priming. The photo illustrates what I would like to do. The water will enter through a retro drain, flow through a check valve, rise above the water level, flow through a tee with a clean-out plug, down below the water level, through the pump, through an Ultima filter, and return to the tank. Because the pump is not self priming, the tee with the plug will be used to prime the pump with water, and the check valve will prevent water from emptying into the tank.

My question is whether the overall setup will work and, specifically, whether the tee with the clean-out plug is an appropriate way to prime the pump.

Name:  20190909_191221.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  95.1 KBName:  20190909_183613.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  51.9 KB

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by UtsuriKoi View Post
      I am setting up a new tank and need some guidance on plumbing and priming. The photo illustrates what I would like to do. The water will enter through a retro drain, flow through a check valve, rise above the water level, flow through a tee with a clean-out plug, down below the water level, through the pump, through an Ultima filter, and return to the tank. Because the pump is not self priming, the tee with the plug will be used to prime the pump with water, and the check valve will prevent water from emptying into the tank.

My question is whether the overall setup will work and, specifically, whether the tee with the clean-out plug is an appropriate way to prime the pump.

Name:  20190909_191221.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  95.1 KBName:  20190909_183613.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  51.9 KB

Yes, I have done this and it will work but I would use a a T that you can glue a piece of pipe and a ball valve to. I think it would work better because you are more likely to get an air tight seal with the ball valve every time.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

UtsuriKoi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, that's brilliant! I was concerned that the clean-out plug would not seal properly, but the ball valve did not cross my mind. Glad I asked!