• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Cloudy pond

Marilynwoody is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cloudy pond

I have a 400 gallon pond covered now for the winter. Will have heaters keeping temperature around 52 degrees. Plants taken out for storage. 2 koi who have grown steadily the last 3 years.
      On Saturday filter pads were changed and I noticed alot of suspended floating particles. Thought they would settle but next day they were still suspended. Seems as though they were too small to be caught by filter. I bought pond boss water clarifier, used 1/2 cup and water today remains cloudy. Fish seem unaffected. Will it clear? Says give it 72 hours. Why did this happen? My algae is totally under control, should have good bacteria, have bio balls, barley straw in all summer. First conclusion: We have an infestation of small flies or aphids which have made the news in this area. They were thick in my bird bath, and on pond surface (before I covered it). I skimmed the surface with a net several times. Could these abnormal flies have caused the bacteria bloom? Also, covered it on a hot day so water temp rose to 60 allowing for multiplication.
      Hoping someone can help me. I am quite attached to my fish and have no one with pond experience. Thank you.
      Marilyn

tbullard is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Covered for winter! I am glad I don't live in Canada. It 97 degrees here today.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!
      Just wild guesses but could they be dead bugs? Or maybe removing the plants launched a lot of smaller
      debris and cleaning the filter pads let a little more flow happen and is keeping the debris suspended?

I'm not sure what your pump flow rate is but depending how many times an hour that the pond is
      "turned over" through the filtration, I'd guess it might take a few days.... I'd give it some more time before
      doing anything drastic. Suspended particles that you can see floating in the water isn't what I'd call a
      "bacteria bloom" though... maybe a picture of the pond water would help?

Good luck and enjoy the forum!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Steve. I didn't know what a bacteria bloom looks like! The particles must have to do with the influx of aphids or fruit flies we have. They say only a good hard frost will kill them. Thankfully the pond is protected from anymore bugs. Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Steve,
      Attached is a photo. Maybe slightly clearer tonight. The fish is 3ft down. The plants were removed awhile ago and yes, whenever the sediment,etc is disturbed the pump clears it in a couple of hours.
      Marilynwoody
      Attached Images Attached Images  

davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Cool

What is your pump and filter system? 400 gallons is very small to attempt a koi pond with. Much to difficult to keep a stable environment for the Koi. When Koi get to 18" they need 200 gallons each and at 24" they need 400 gallons each. I think your water situation is due to lack of filtration. You mentioned you replaced the filter pads? Is this the only filter? A 400 gallon pond should have a pump of 1000gph and a filter of 20 gallons or so. This could handle 1 maybe 2 mid sized koi but they tend to grow and the bio load is exponential as they grow.
      Need more Koi