• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thai Orandas

Mes is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Photography is outstanding!
      I hope you'll enter some in the Virtual Koi and Goldfish show coming up soon!
      I believe the pics are from the website they were bought from.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yep, the pictures are from the website where I bought them. Excellent photographer, beautiful pictures, and I was very pleased with them on arrival.

They arrived in excellent condition and each one was packaged in a separate bag, tripled bagged and in an insulated box.
      Nancy

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Nancy your fish are beautiful! Can't wait for your next pics.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

I love them but I always seem too get them too develope swim bladder problems
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have had a few during the years develop swim bladder issues. I seemed to have less problems with the ones with long tails. Some just seem to be prone to this. I tried not to buy any that had a tail up, head down when resting.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Received my shipment today.

Of all I received before, the only one I was not happy with was the black. It was on sale, so maybe my fault for not getting a more expensive one. He was not black when I got him and looked nothing like the pictures to me, although he has gotten slighty darker, I doubt he will ever get black. I did email them, and they said since I will be keeping him outside in a pond, he should return to black.

Anyway I ordered another (also on sale), and I am very pleased. This one arrived and looks even better that it's pictures, It is very black and a nice pudgy face that I love. Photos from website:
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by koi4u2c; 09-24-2019 at 08:45 PM.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This said red and white, but it probably is a tri color, it has touches of black. It was also on sale and I liked him.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

And the last one. I think it is a female panda. I feared her tail would be too short, and she was loosing her black, but tail looks longer and appears to have a little more black now than in the picture.
      Nancy

mjfromga is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The tri colored fish will all likely end up red and white.. The panda likely all white... And the black may hold or that fish may end up mostly white too. All very nice fish but colors like TRI COLOR and PANDA are usually marketing gimmicks. Metallic fish are almost always one or two colors when they finish changing and black is extremely unstable and almost never holds.

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Beautiful fish Nancy! Do you keep them outside or inside?
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will be keeping them outside.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have always read the panda will eventually loose the black and become white fish. But if you look at images of pandas of different breeders now, there are different looks from different breeding stock. Some now have a very deep black. Some have the brown/bronze touches in the black.

These two pandas in post #13 and #28 have had an increase in the black. The male in #13 may eventually be all black. The one with more white in post #28 looked like it was loosing it's black from the picture under the dorsal, but she has increased her black under the dorsal, and down her belly. You can see underlying black down the sides of her belly in the picture.

I thought they would make a good breeding pair, one lighter and one darker.

I searched on the internet years ago about whether they all lost their black, and the consensus was they do, but I recently found a post that had a different opinion.

This was posted on a goldfish site in 2005:

As a goldfish lover and retail seller of fish for over 15 years now, living in Belgium (Europe) I can say the following from experience.

The panda color in goldfish is fairly new, only fixed existing for 5 years now in the telescope and 3 years for the Oranda (bred in through the moore).

If you want to buy a quality panda in either Moore Butterfly or Oranda, follow the guidelines below.

Pandas are not really coldwater goldfish. They are bred in outdoor ponds year round at temps of around 22 to 26 C. To maintain their best color, they should be kept at these temperatures in the aquarium.

The panda mutation originates from Thailand and moved on to the Chinese breeders for export.

When buying Pandas ask your petshop where the fish originally originated from. If the answer is Singapore, don't buy them.

Never buy a panda Oranda smaller than 4-5 inches as these are the culls from the broods. These are much cheaper than the good ones and they will change color (this applies to all colors in Orandas).

Expect to pay $25 to $30 for a reasonably good black and white Panda.

When choosing an Oranda, look at the hood.This must be of good form and reasonably developed. Also the body must be eggshaped and not elongated.

Panda Orandas of good quality that don't have a fully black colored hood, show a vanilla color on the hood, NOT YELLOW.

Orandas that show a small hood, normally have an elongated body in the 4-5 inch size, DON'T BUY THEESE, they will change color.

Feed your Oranda Hikari Lionhead or Oranda pellets, to maintain their natural color. Also feed the frozen red, white, and black mosquito larve. These will keep you animals in good growth and health. Once or twice a week, feed peas and/or Hikari goldfish flake. Hikari food is really the best you can give them and the flake food doesn't foul the water. NEVER feed Tetra food to your Orandas, this will surely give them internal problems.

The panda Oranda now is available in black (black and white), blue and brown.

Off spring from the panda also produced another variety, the tri-color, which has next to the black or brown some red or orange markings on the back and/or head. The main body color is (silvery) white. These are not calico. The calico has a blue base color that shows through the white body color.

The best panda Orandas and Moores still originate from Thailand and are not always the most expensive.

Hope this helped.

Marc

I do not know who Marc is, so I cannot give him proper credit.
      Nancy

mjfromga is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I still don't think that panda will hold for more than 6 months to a year or so. It doesn't even look stable on that fish. I love goldfish and the many colors they come in... And I ADORE the elusive black color.

I just got this one... But it is not metallic so though the black may fade too... It has a higher chance of holding than metallic fish

chris8815 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Those orandas are gorgeous. Excellent photography as well.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12