• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What would this cross produce?

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What would this cross produce?

They are my two nicest mutts so they would be my first candidates for breeding at this point. My first spawn will be nothing but learning experience in everything from start to finish and the cull will be fed to the Bass. It's a Doitsu Shusui and the blue leatherskin Shusui (I think it has Hikari but I'm not sure so feel free to let me know). I know about the lethal genes from crossing two scaleless Koi but I should be ok with the Doitsu according to what I have read. I also have a yellow Doitsu (something) as an alternate. These pairings are entirely dependent on gender of course but I'm pretty sure the Doitsu Shusui is a female.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by Hope J View Post
      What would this cross produce?
      A good learning experience!!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
      A good learning experience!!
      Haha! I'll take it! I'd rather screw up on these than any nice fish I might get further on down the road

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Lucky for the bass! But if that pair of shusui are a F & M, they might actually make a few decent ones. I've never bred those, but they seem rather compatible. I once had a somewhat metallic looking blue shusui like that. It came from a flock spawn and I kept it a few years.

If the old research at this link is still relevant to these scale types, it appears that you have a leather and a linear, and you can't tell by looking if the linear has one dominant S gene or two.
      http://www.fao.org/3/b3310e/b3310e14.htm
      So if I follow this correctly would mean that if the linear one is SSNn, then not including the 25% NN casualties, the remainder of the fry from this crossing would be about 33% fully scaled koi (perhaps asagi in this case) and 67% linear (likely shusui in this case).
      But if the linear one is SsNn, then not including the 25% NN casualties, the remainder of the fry would be about 33% linear, 33% leather, 17% fully scaled, and 17% scattered scaled.

Interesting either way. And I think you have done a lot more research than most before trying this (unless you've made past attempts).

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Lucky for the bass! But if that pair of shusui are a F & M, they might actually make a few decent ones. I've never bred those, but they seem rather compatible. I once had a somewhat metallic looking blue shusui like that. It came from a flock spawn and I kept it a few years.

If the old research at this link is still relevant to these scale types, it appears that you have a leather and a linear, and you can't tell by looking if the linear has one dominant S gene or two.
      http://www.fao.org/3/b3310e/b3310e14.htm
      So if I follow this correctly would mean that if the linear one is SSNn, then not including the 25% NN casualties, the remainder of the fry from this crossing would be about 33% fully scaled koi (perhaps asagi in this case) and 67% linear (likely shusui in this case).
      But if the linear one is SsNn, then not including the 25% NN casualties, the remainder of the fry would be about 33% linear, 33% leather, 17% fully scaled, and 17% scattered scaled.

Interesting either way. And I think you have done a lot more research than most before trying this (unless you've made past attempts).
      Thank you for the info! I love the stats and I have done a stoopid amount of research lol! I am on my quest to eventually breed purple Koi but right now this is what I have to work with and I want to learn about scalation and see what happens

wayne1 is offline Supporting Member
      is Old boy

Feeling:
      Cool

Hi yes you should get a nice mix with Asagi types in there and some Gin rin from that all blue shusui which looks like it has parrachina ogon in the line ,as they often use to get a lighrter blue in shusui spawns ,evedant by the metallic headlines and white nose ,in my experiance .

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by wayne1 View Post
      Hi yes you should get a nice mix with Asagi types in there and some Gin rin from that all blue shusui which looks like it has parrachina ogon in the line ,as they often use to get a lighrter blue in shusui spawns ,evedant by the metallic headlines and white nose ,in my experiance .
      Thank you for the response! I actually read as many of your threads and posts as I can because you know so much! I'm excited you think it has some decent possibilities! Can you explain any sex linked traits the Asagi might pass on or anything specific to look out for? I have to Google Parrachina and learn what it is lol!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have an Asagi I just got last month, it's the cutest little Gin Rin ever but I think it would be wise to get a normal scaled one of the opposite sex just in case. Sorry about the bowl, my blue ones have pregnant Mosquito fish in them at the moment.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I *think* it has/is paruchina? It definitely has a good luster to it. Here's a better pic (I had her out yesterday).

Mes is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Hope J View Post
      I *think* it has/is paruchina? It definitely has a good luster to it. Here's a better pic (I had her out yesterday).
      I thought purachina koi are white/cream?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
      I thought purachina koi are white/cream?
      They are (from what I read) but he said it might have some in its lineage if I understood him correctly. I think it's in the sparkles in the Dorsal scales that indicate it? IDK... I read too much and confuse myself.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007