• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: periha & bead filter?

koinoober is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

periha & bead filter?

Can a periha pump power a bead filter? Either into the filter or pulling from the output.

I understand these pumps aren't meant for high head or passing through lots of media, but was wondering if it'd be possible if I replace the bead with another type of mechanical filtration media.

ricshaw is offline Supporting Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by koinoober View Post
      Can a periha pump power a bead filter? Either into the filter or pulling from the output.

I understand these pumps aren't meant for high head or passing through lots of media, but was wondering if it'd be possible if I replace the bead with another type of mechanical filtration media.
      Most of the big pressure filter manufacturers, like Aqua Ultima II, provide pump recommendations: https://aquaultraviolet.com/products/filters/

"The Ultima II will work with any pump appropriate for the pond in question. The Ultima IIís Bio-Media with its patent-pending design is light enough so that the water from the pond will completely and quickly backwash the filter."
      "Note: Use Appropriate Pump For Filter Size (If you purchase a 4000 Gallon Filter, use a pump that will give you 4000 GPH at your Total Dynamic Head (10í of pressure head plus vertical head height plus friction head (length and inside diameter size of hose with fittings such as elbows) for the best backwash."

And it is a bad idea to replace the media with another type of mechanical filtration media IMO. Do not use high pressure filters if you want to use a super efficient water pump.
      Last edited by ricshaw; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:50 PM.

SeaSideAquatics, LLC is offline Supporting Member
      is always working

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have Periha 25000 running on ultima 6000 x 4

I am running 4 of them at my house, they work great however you must keep the media clean. Once they clog up, you will be losing pressure. I suggest you using blower for back wash, this 1) keep the media clean 2) not washing too much water and 3) you won’t be losing much pressure if you using with Periha pump.

May I ask what ultima filter you plan to use ? This way I can suggest you the right size Periha.

Sea Side Aquatics, LLC
      540 S Jefferson Street Unit C
      Placentia, CA 92870
      www.SeaSideAquatics.com

MCAsan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I always use the blower on my bead filter to break up media. Then I backwash and rinse. I never depend on any water pump to completely break up a bead pack.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not all pressure filters are equal in back pressure. For filters with higher head requirements the answer is absolutely NO. For other lower backpressure filters such as the one mentioned and others that don't use beads the answer is maybe. If the plumbing is short, properly sized and not raising the water very high you can get adequate flow. Notice I didn't use the words great flow. These are energy efficient low head pumps and shine on gravity type low head filtration.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

I would add that installing a multiport bypass piping will reduce the head pressure significantly.
      Name:  Our multiport valve bypass piping plan.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  143.1 KB

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you have a blower on the filter, it will work until the filter loads up. If you don't have a blower you will never unpack the media with a periha.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Even with a bypass and using air to assist flushing a true bead filter is just too restrictive to make efficient use of a Periha pump. Ultima filters do not use beads,. They use tubes as media and are less restrictive.
      Last edited by batman; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:28 AM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.