• Tired

Thread: Rotten fins on fish

duchoaaz is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Rotten fins on fish

Hello,

A couple of my koi got infected. They're look like rotten fin. I hope the attached images are help. I'm sorry, I can't catch the Shusui.

I don't know what kind of infection that is and need help to figure out, so I can treat them.

I change water once a week when there is lots of algae. Recently there no algae so I only do it once every other week.

Water test results:
      PH low: 7.2
      PH high: 8.2
      Ammonia: 1.0
      Nitrite: 0
      Nitrate: 0
      KH: 6 drops

Thanks for your help,
      Attached Images Attached Images     

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is loving Red Label.

Feeling:
      ----

You need an ammonia binder, stat. Seachem Prime...Seachem Safe...Amquel...something. Ammonia of 1 is not good. Likely your filtration is not sufficient and the algae was keeping your ammonia at bay. When the algae disappeared, you have an ammonia spike.

How long have you had these fish? Have you added new ones?
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would also up your water changes to twice a week, whether or not there is algae. What kind of filters do you have and how often are you cleaning them?
      Mary

RickF is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I agree that ammonia is the biggest problem. Ammonia does burn the fins and skin, but it is the damage that ammonia can do to the gills that will lead to death of the fish. Water changes alone are not enough to keep ammonia in check. As Andrea said, you need Prime, SAFE, or ClorAmX to keep the ammonia in a safe form and do not feed the fish until the biofilter kicks in ammonia drops.

You also seem to be confused about the pH test kits. There is only one pH, but API makes three pH test kit. The one labeled "pH" is accurate from 6.0 to 7.8. The one labeled "high range" is accurate from 7.2 to 8.8. The one labeled "wide range" is accurate from 5.0 to 9.0, but it is not very precise. The increments are too wide to be useful for anything other than to tell you whether you should use the regular pH kit or the high range pH kit. Based on your results (and for most ponds), I suspect the high range kit is more accurate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The growths on the fins appear to be Sap, a fungus. Fungus does not tissue that is not damaged. The damage is probably due to ammonia burns. I would get Proform C to treat the pond as it will kill fungus, as well as parasites.

With the numbers you have, how old is the pond? How many gallons? How many fish? An established filter should produce nitrates as the end result of the biological filtration, and that needs water changes to dilute it down. As noted by graybird, the ammonia has probably been being consumed by the green water algae as that is the favorite food of the algae, and once the algae disappeared the ammonia level has spiked. A cycled filter will bring the ammonia level to zero and the nitrite level to zero by bioconversion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

duchoaaz is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you all for replying to my thread,

I do have Seachem SAFE and Proform-C. I'll treat the pond along with water change tomorrow after work.

The pond is 5 years old. It is about 1200 gallons. There are 2 55-gallon sands and gravels filters. 1 for the bottom drain and the other for the skimmer. The skimmer filter often clogged, so it is not running 24/7. In Spring the pond got lots of algae. I had to clean filter and water change every 3-4 days. There is no algae and water is crystal clear for the last 4 weeks. I just found out fish got burn tail fins few days ago.

I have 8 koi and 1 gold fish. They're range from 6-10 inches. I'm thinking of rehome 3 of the koi. I bought 5 koi from Genki over 2 years ago. They're all healthy. The other 3 koi are from local mud pond that I acquired 15 months ago. All 3 koi from mud pond got infected.