• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 11 of 11

    Thread: Please judge my shusui and showas

    1. #1
      Efk is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      8

      Please judge my shusui and showas

      Please critique my koi, the Showa and shusui were bought from Laguna and are both about20”, the other showa was 7” in the first pic and is about 10” in the most recent, that little guy was bred by Hiroi.
      Attached Images Attached Images     

    2. #2
      icu2's Avatar
      icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying
       
      Feeling:
      Piratey
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Poulsbo, WA
      Posts
      28,229
      Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!
      Sorry for the late approval of your first post but you're all clear now.
      Enjoy the forum!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

      "I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

    3. #3
      inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Ronkonkoma, New York
      Posts
      2,561
      The shusui is nice, but the zipper is flawed. I like that fish anyway. The first showa is very easy on the eyes with potential to develop with the addition of some sumi. The sashi of the first beni step is not the kind I like. It may never be "clean". The last showa is falling apart unfortunately.

    4. #4
      Efk is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      The shusui is nice, but the zipper is flawed. I like that fish anyway. The first showa is very easy on the eyes with potential to develop with the addition of some sumi. The sashi of the first beni step is not the kind I like. It may never be "clean". The last showa is falling apart unfortunately.
      I completely agree with you on the evaluation of the first two but what’s your reasoning behind your evaluation on the second Showa?

    5. #5
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      25,998
      Quote Originally Posted by Efk View Post
      I completely agree with you on the evaluation of the first two but what’s your reasoning behind your evaluation on the second Showa?
      The second Showa has less Beni than when you got it. It is falling apart.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    6. #6
      Efk is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      The second Showa has less Beni than when you got it. It is falling apart.
      How worried should I be? Will the Beni recover?

    7. #7
      jcardona1's Avatar
      jcardona1 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      CA, USA
      Posts
      447
      Quote Originally Posted by Efk View Post
      How worried should I be? Will the Beni recover?
      Beni does not recover. Once it starts breaking apart, it will only go downhill.

      Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

    8. #8
      Efk is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      8
      I’ve heard that it loss of Beni varies depending on bloodline. What do you think this Hiroi bred koi will look like when it’s more developed?

    9. #9
      abuchi123's Avatar
      abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,479
      The 2nd showa was a lower grade fish from the beginning. I hope you didn't pay too much for it. Beni was failing even before you bought it. Skin, body and sumi all lack quality.

      All breeders have fish that lose beni.

      The first two fish have more potential. Did you say they were from Laguna Koi? The shusui looks female but the body might be a little short. The showa has a big head which is usually a good thing. Who is the breeder?

    10. #10
      Russell Peters's Avatar
      Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Thorntown, IN
      Posts
      25,998
      Quote Originally Posted by Efk View Post
      I’ve heard that it loss of Beni varies depending on bloodline. What do you think this Hiroi bred koi will look like when it’s more developed?
      Beni loss does not depend on bloodline.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

    11. #11
      Efk is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      The 2nd showa was a lower grade fish from the beginning. I hope you didn't pay too much for it. Beni was failing even before you bought it. Skin, body and sumi all lack quality.

      All breeders have fish that lose beni.

      The first two fish have more potential. Did you say they were from Laguna Koi? The shusui looks female but the body might be a little short. The showa has a big head which is usually a good thing. Who is the breeder?
      I got the 2nd Showa from inland for $150 bred by Hiroi. The other two fish are from Laguna koi but I don’t know their breeder, here’s some more recent pictures of them, sorry I haven’t bowled them but you can still see a little how they’ve developed the past 2 months from the original pictures in the bowl. Hoping for some development on the Beni and body of the shusui and the weird sashi on the Showa is slowly shrinking slightly.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •