• Tired
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Koi Food ?

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by bravetang8 View Post
      I was unaware of the issues with a high fat diet. I had been feeding Kenzen, Pescapro, Blackwater Gold, and Drs. F&S Super food, which are also high in fat (10+%). I will consider changing foods based on your recommendation.

These look like good recommendations for floating pellet food. Would anyone have recommendations for a cheap sinking medium pellet food?
      It can lead to fatty liver disease and other terrible problems.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

joe09 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i use trophy fish food from tractor supply 36%protein 13.99/25lb bag

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am no expert, but what I read years ago suggested the fish food made for catfish, trout, tilapia, etc. is made to promote rapid growth in farm raised fish for food.

Koi food not only promotes growth but should do so in a way that promotes a long healthy life.

I have a lot of fish, so I cannot feed expensive food, but I have avoided the fish food manufactured for raising food fish for this reason so I cannot tell you how it effects the long term growth of koi.

Many of my fish are 20+ years old. They have good color, appear healthy and I can only remember 1 or 2 that appeared to die from a tumor.

While I have had a couple reach 29 inches, I may have had more, if I fed my fish more than once a day. But because I have more koi than most, I do not push for extreme growth.

I usually try to get my koi food on sale, and get a better deal when I order it and have it shipped to me. Large bags and free shipping.

Years ago I fed Blue Ridge and sometimes something from Maryland Aquatic, which may have been the same food used for food fish, since it was a generic bag.

In more recent years I have fed Blackwater, Azoo, and a lot of Foster Smith (but not the cheapest priced staple).

The only other food I ever tried was Wardleys for only a couple of months, my fish appeared to get thin, and one got a crooked spine. I stopped feeding this food and they all went back to their normal weight and even the fish with they crooked spine straightened out. I never fed this food again.

I can only say that what I have fed my fish, must have been reasonable healthy for them to allow then to live to more than 20 years old.
      Last edited by koi4u2c; 09-02-2019 at 02:33 PM.
      Nancy

bravetang8 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just bought a bag of Southern States sinking fish feed for $17. I will mix it 1:1 with my high protein food to bring down the fat and protein levels and see if the koi have any digestion issues. My main concern is the high 7.5% fiber content. If it doesn't work out I will throw it in the compost and get a better food.
      Name:  CameraZOOM-20190902211609759 (Medium).jpg
Views: 251
Size:  411.8 KB

Vietmeathead is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I often wonder why would people spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars buying quality fish with good genetics, only to feed them crap. Would an athlete who trains hard only to put McDonald into his body?

ricshaw is offline Supporting Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by bravetang8 View Post
      Just bought a bag of Southern States sinking fish feed for $17. I will mix it 1:1 with my high protein food to bring down the fat and protein levels and see if the koi have any digestion issues. My main concern is the high 7.5% fiber content. If it doesn't work out I will throw it in the compost and get a better food.
      Name:  CameraZOOM-20190902211609759 (Medium).jpg
Views: 251
Size:  411.8 KB
      Looking at those Ingredients... one of the worst I have ever seen! I like white fish meal to be the First ingredient.

batman is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The very inexpensive feeds are designed as a cheap way to supplement food in a natural environment such as a mud pond. They are typically cheap ingredients that are more polluting and not intended to be used in a closed recirculating system. Often this is stated directly on the bag or it is in the manufactures published information. Make sure whatever you buy has been tested and approved for a closed system.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Vietmeathead View Post
      I often wonder why would people spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars buying quality fish with good genetics, only to feed them crap. Would an athlete who trains hard only to put McDonald into his body?
      Yes
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Traitimkh8 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

People who paid thousands for a koi do not feed their koi cheap food, just poor guy like me trying figure out ways to feed koi without spending thousands and still have healthy koi to enjoy for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vietmeathead View Post

skyblue is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      The very inexpensive feeds are designed as a cheap way to supplement food in a natural environment such as a mud pond. They are typically cheap ingredients that are more polluting and not intended to be used in a closed recirculating system. Often this is stated directly on the bag or it is in the manufactures published information. Make sure whatever you buy has been tested and approved for a closed system.
      This is good to know. Would you have any suggestions for a good brand that is?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Currently I use Zeigler Finfish Bronze with an occasional feeding of Finfish Silver for mature fish. For young fish up to 1.5 years separated in a separate grow out tank we use 80% Finfish Silver and 20% Finfish Bronze. We also give supplemental chopped greens and vegetables from the garden

Shipping single bulk bags to your home is expensive. There is no such thing as free shipping and it's either shown separately or included in the cost of the food. To save on shipping look up local feed stores and see what they stock or what they can get from their suppliers at their cheaper bulk delivery rates. If you have a bulk bag with free shipping delivered to your home that cost $60 total and it cost $23 to ship in reality you got a $37 bag of food. Search for omnivore blended foods (carp) that are certified for recirculating systems. Check out protein and fat content and ingredients. See if the manufacture can provide results of live tests.

Also not here to be critical of high dollar feed. When I win the lottery I'll switch to Kenzen and Hikari. Until then the koi aren't eating food higher priced per pound than I eat.

Bronze 33 pound bag $32
      Silver 44 pound bag $38
      Both cost picked up at fish farm.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by batman; 09-03-2019 at 09:56 PM.

coifreak is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

anyone used these? price seems right but the top 2 ingredients worry me: Dehulled soybean meal & ground corn

https://www.mazuri.com/fish/koi/koi-...e=&cclcl=en_US

Mes is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coifreak View Post
      anyone used these? price seems right but the top 2 ingredients worry me: Dehulled soybean meal & ground corn

Never use corn based products, ever. It's very difficult to digest.

rayjay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have about 10lbs of this going out in the trash tonight,....way too much fish poo, back to BW.
      ....."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".....Mark Twain

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
      I've never paid much attention to koi food ingredients but I recently switched from Blackwater to Ultra Balance. When feeding Blackwater I always had a ton of waste along the bottom of the pond. Looked like partially digested stuff that passed right through the fish. My pond is new and I had no experience with other foods so I just assumed this was normal fish waste until I switched to something else. With Ultra Balance I'm feeding more than ever and the bottom of the pond is almost spotless. These are the only 2 foods I've used on my pond so take my experience with a grain of salt. I have a feeling some of the fillers used in BW contributed to this excess waste, but I don't know enough about ingredients to pinpoint what it could be.
      I've used Ultrabalance for years. 12 koi 20-30" and surprisingly little waste ( 1-2 tablespoons/day in my Zakki filter). It's also really inexpensive in the 40lb bags, at least in California.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Evidence of solid fish poo may or may not be an indication of a poor food. Think about the equivalent of liquified fish diarrhea and not finding a lot of solids. The only way to know for sure is to see if the manufacture has done live digestibility tests and is willing to publish the results.

rayjay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What I saw with Mazuri was elongated semi-solid waste in my RDF waste tray that I thought didn't look healthy (?). With a camera on the pond floor I do see some stuff (?) rolling around on the floor and "normal" size/quantity of waste with BW in the RDF. Going back to BW was basically finding a good price a couple of weeks ago. I've tried numerous other Koi foods but never saw what Mazuri produced.
      ....."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".....Mark Twain

is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
      What I saw with Mazuri was elongated semi-solid waste in my RDF waste tray that I thought didn't look healthy (?). With a camera on the pond floor I do see some stuff (?) rolling around on the floor and "normal" size/quantity of waste with BW in the RDF. Going back to BW was basically finding a good price a couple of weeks ago. I've tried numerous other Koi foods but never saw what Mazuri produced.
      Mazuri Koi Pond Nuggets' first two listed ingredients is dehulled soybean meal and ground corn. Fish meal is number 3. As previously stated... I prefer White fish meal to be number one.

coifreak is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Tetra Vibrance

Got 5 lbs of this. Giving it a try. Anyone have experience with it?

"Fish meal" 2nd on the list of ingredients, but corn first..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190904_171415.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	595814 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190904_171427.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	595815
      Last edited by coifreak; 09-04-2019 at 06:21 PM.

is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Got 5 lbs of this. Giving it a try. Anyone have experience with it?

"Fish meal" 2nd on the list of ingredients, but corn first..
      And lots of "air". Tetra Pond Sticks is not a popular food with many hobbyists. When you compare weight, not volume, it does not hold up to most other choices IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast