• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: How much to flow thru UV

Subersibo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How much to flow thru UV

The EVO55ís rated max flow is 5,284 us gallons. My pond is about 3,000 gallons.
      BD- sieve-evolution ess6400 pump - evo55 UV - 2s&gís - shower filter - tprís
      I have quite a bit of head so I know the pump isnít pushing the whole 6,400 so I have it completely open thru the ball valve. I think I may be pushing about 4,000 gph which is about perfect for the s&gís.
      Can I just flow the whole gph thru the UV since it can handle 5,284 gph or divert some water thru the bypass?

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

I think it would be better to slow down the flow going through the UV. If the water goes through too fast, the UV doesn't have time to kill the algae.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, thanks! I’ll turn on the bypass as well.

Diegar is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I watched a pretty cool video where the guy describes how you can calculate UV-C bulb wattage to flow. He even recommends a good book which explains it in further detail

"If you want good clean high quality oats you must pay a fair price for them. If however you chose to purchase oats that have already gone thru the horse, they come a little cheaper." - Dick Benbow

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Subersibo View Post
      Ok, thanks! I’ll turn on the bypass as well.
      I wouldn't, when you bypass the UV, it becomes less efficient as well. You should just make sure you have enough for the flow you need.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just turned on the bypass by a half turn so maybe less water is going thru the uv. As I have quite a bit of head I think Iím flowing just enough thru it.
      Itís amazing how quickly the water has cleared up! Itís just been about 3 days and I can see the bottom drain now! I could hardly see anything before when the water was dark green. Very happy!
      Last edited by Subersibo; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:14 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just turned on the bypass by a half turn so maybe less water is going thru the uv. As I have quite a bit of head I think I’m flowing just enough thru it.
      It’s amazing how quickly the water has cleared up! It’s just been about 3 days and I can see the bottom drain now! I could hardly see anything before when the water was dark green. Very happy!
      Give it 6 months to a year.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You mean change the bulb in 6 mos to a year? I think the manufacturer suggests the bulb is good for 2 seasons only.
      Edit:
      I think I understand what you meant now. You mean I should reduce the flow from the pump itself going into the uv. Will this affect the bottom drainís performance since I will be flowing a lot less water?
      Will there still be enough to flow through the 2 s&g filters and tpr's?
      Thatís why I thought of turning the bypass on a bit so most of the water would be diverted through it and some thru the uv but still have enough flowing to the filters etc.
      If all the water should go through the uv how much is enough so the other components would still be operational?
      Sorry for the many questions.
      Last edited by Subersibo; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:47 AM.

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

I think you are doing fine. If it doesn't clear up in 10 days just let a little bit more water through the UV until you find the sweet spot where it works best.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You mean change the bulb in 6 mos to a year? I think the manufacturer suggests the bulb is good for 2 seasons only.
      Edit:
      I think I understand what you meant now. You mean I should reduce the flow from the pump itself going into the uv. Will this affect the bottom drain’s performance since I will be flowing a lot less water?
      Will there still be enough to flow through the 2 s&g filters and tpr's?
      That’s why I thought of turning the bypass on a bit so most of the water would be diverted through it and some thru the uv but still have enough flowing to the filters etc.
      If all the water should go through the uv how much is enough so the other components would still be operational?
      Sorry for the many questions.
      No, I mean that, when a pond is new, things can work well at first but not so well when the pond ages and develops more organics. Just because your UV is working now does not mean it will later. What ever the flow of your pond, 100% of that flow should go through the correct size UV for it to operate at its best. If you bypass any water from the UV you run the risk of diluting the water that goes through your UV therefore diminishing its ability to function properly. This could lead to algae problems later. I see so many people post about algae issues and it tends to stem from diluted water.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, I’ll turn the bypass off and let all the water through the UV at a lower flow. Maybe if its flowing around 3,000 gph then that means each s&g still gets 1,500 gph. Is there any way to tell how much is flowing through the s&g’s?

The manufacturer said my pond water should circulate once every 2 hrs so 1,500 gph through the uv.
      If I follow that I don’t think there will be enough flow going to the filtration. He says there is too much turbulence.
      But I went with the evo55 because of the pump size.