• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Help with koi fry tank

libralady is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Help with koi fry tank

I need help with a 40 gal. tank I put fry in that was outside in a tote. I may have messed up, but need help in saving these little guys. I put fry in a 40 gal. tank last Mon. and for the last 2 days my PH is 6.0 and I can't get it to stay above. Some of the fish are moving jerkily and swaying from side to side. I have 2 sponge filters each on separate pumps, an airstone on separate pump, some plants. When I started the tank I used Aquaextreme, Cycle and beneficial bacteria. I have been using quick start every other day. All other tests are 0 but the PH keeps dropping. It is the color of the ammonia test at 0. Yesterday I got some Neutral Regulator by Seachem and took out 1 1/2 gals. of water and added 1/2 tsp with 3 1/2 gals. of water back to the tank. Last night PH was yellow/green 6.5. Today is is bright yellow again. I removed a water hyacinth that was a tad brown and a drift wood that had a plant growing on it that was getting gray. I don't even know if that is why the PH is dropping. Are those sponge filters going to be enough?

Could someone please tell me how to save these fry? I know PH can not change to fast, so do I add more regulator? How much how often? How much water if any should I remove? The tank is not full to the top yet. I have some crushed oyster shells I got from the feed store last yr. Should I toss some of those in there in a drain sock or just on the bottom? I was going to leave the bottom glass to clean easier, is that a bad thing?

The filsh at the top is the worse one. It is floating upside down at time. It hit the side of the tank yesterday while buzzing around, could it have been injured? But the other fish seem to be swimming jerky like that one was before. Do I have to much current in there for them?

https://youtu.be/2aLfxdyzEJo

I need help getting this situated with the PH.

Thank you!

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

What is your KH?
      If your ammonia is testing 0 I'd add plain baking soda to raise the pH and stabilize it. Fry are delicate so honestly
      I'm not sure you can save them but I'd try and add a bit of the baking soda every couple of hours to try and bring the pH
      up. Baking soda has a pH of about 8.3 so you don't want to add it all at one time or it may kill them. I'd try and raise it
      slowly.

Here's a calculator to help know how much baking soda to add.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calckh

I'd try and increase the KH 2 DH every couple of hours. If you don't have anything to weigh the baking soda out, I
      just measured my teaspoon of BS and it came out to about 5 grams, so I'd add about 1 1/2 TEAspoons every couple
      hours until you see your pH come back up and your KH reaches 150 or so.

Good luck with them!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      What is your KH?
      If your ammonia is testing 0 I'd add plain baking soda to raise the pH and stabilize it. Fry are delicate so honestly
      I'm not sure you can save them but I'd try and add a bit of the baking soda every couple of hours to try and bring the pH
      up. Baking soda has a pH of about 8.3 so you don't want to add it all at one time or it may kill them. I'd try and raise it
      slowly.

Here's a calculator to help know how much baking soda to add.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calckh

I'd try and increase the KH 2 DH every couple of hours. If you don't have anything to weigh the baking soda out, I
      just measured my teaspoon of BS and it came out to about 5 grams, so I'd add about 1 1/2 TEAspoons every couple
      hours until you see your pH come back up and your KH reaches 150 or so.

Good luck with them!
      Hi, Thank you. Before I read this I had ran to a petstore and they gave me a lime rock, so I put that in and about 2 gals. of water with 1/4 tsp of the regulator. I tested again and the PH is what is was last night, 6.5. The KH is the first tube after 3 drops; however, it was never blue, the first drop added to the tube was a light orange and it just got brighter with the next 2. So is that A 1 drop or 3 drop reading? I really don't know how to accurately read that test. Will that rock really raise the KH and PH? Would you still add baking soda tonight or wait to see if it drops again tonight? Does anyone know why it is dropping? I took the water hyacinth out this morning.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Lime rock will take forever to effect the KH and pH, as will things like oyster shells. I'd add the baking soda.
      --Steve

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lime rock will take forever to effect the KH and pH, as will things like oyster shells. I'd add the baking soda.
      Ok, would you remove the live plants or that really doesn't have anything to do with it? Any ideas why PH is dropping so fast?

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Personally I'd leave the plants. I doubt they have much to do with the pH issue.
      I think the pH is dropping because of a lack of KH (carbonate hardness). Here's
      a couple of great articles that might help understand how pH and KH work together:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ns-and-Newbies

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ns-And-Newbies
      --Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Personally I'd leave the plants. I doubt they have much to do with the pH issue.
      I think the pH is dropping because of a lack of KH (carbonate hardness). Here's
      a couple of great articles that might help understand how pH and KH work together:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ns-and-Newbies

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ns-And-Newbies
      Well my tap water turns blue with one drop and yellow with 2. The tank doesn't turn blue with the first drop, it is an off orange. So if I keep adding baking soda-it isn't going to raise my KH until the PH gets to 8.3? But it is dropping every night, so I'm confused as to how that will work when I have to go in small increments. Do you think the PH with stable at what the tap is when the filters and tank have been set up for a couple weeks? Tomorrow is going to be a week and I have been adding water each day to fill it to the top.

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

No, you should see the pH rise when you add the baking soda. It probably won't rise immediately to 8.3 when you add a small amount,
      but you want it to increase gradually, and that's why I suggested adding it slowly over several hours. The baking soda will raise the KH
      and also the pH... and when you've added enough baking soda to raise your KH to 7 or 8 drops, you should see the pH more stable. Since your
      source water from the tap is very low in KH, you'll probably need to routinely add some baking soda when you do water changes to keep
      your KH up. You'll need to monitor the KH pretty closely to see how it's doing. Many of us add baking soda routinely to keep the KH up
      and our pH stable.
      --Steve