• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: PL instead of 3m-5200 for s&g?

Subersibo is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

PL instead of 3m-5200 for s&g?

One of my sand and gravel barrels is leaking and when I tried fixing it the leak got worse. I am just gonna build a new one and am wondering if itís ok to use the PL roof and flashing sealant instead of the 3m-5200 to seal the bulkhead to the barrel?
      I still have some PL left and the 3m is a bit pricey.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Subersibo View Post
      One of my sand and gravel barrels is leaking and when I tried fixing it the leak got worse. I am just gonna build a new one and am wondering if it’s ok to use the PL roof and flashing sealant instead of the 3m-5200 to seal the bulkhead to the barrel?
      I still have some PL left and the 3m is a bit pricey.
      Absolutely. I've made several s/g filters and other filters out of barrels and all have the conduit adapters sealed with PL.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, good to know. Thanks!

DangerDave is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You mentioned "bulkhead", in which case if the joint has a gasket, tightening the fitting with the gasket *shouldn't* require any sealant.

pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

True...notice that Steve said he used it on conduit adapters. A standard bulkhead uses the rubber gasket to seal. So if you are using the conduit adapters, use the PL. If using bulkheads, it would be a good idea to flatten the area around the hole first. I used a heat gun to soften the hdpe and then tightened adapters in the hole with no sealant and let it cool. Thanks to Catfish Whiskers for that idea.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I used bulkheads for the input and drains but did not use any gaskets. Just 3M-2500. Itís leaking in one of the barrelís input. The leak isnít really strong Iím guessing less than a gallon a day.
      I also detected a small leak on my Uv line this morning. i just hooked everything up yesterday and itís gonna be a real pain taking it apart. When I tested it first I didnít glue the pipes yet and it seemed to be okay. When I took the pipes apart to glue them water was spewing out everywhere and I was soaked in smelly, algae filled water! I guess those check valves underground arenít doing their job LOL!
      Aside from those minor leaks I think everything is going well at last.
      Excited for the water to clear up. Was able to finally hook up the bd to a pump and got a ton of yucky stuff in the sieve!
      Last edited by Subersibo; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:48 PM.

pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

A bulkhead is a particular type of fitting that is designed to be used with the gasket that comes with it. When you screw the big washer on it compresses the gasket making the seal waterproof. I'm not sure what you used, but I think you would have used the gasket if came with it. I think most people use electrical adapters and PL, because they are cheaper than bulkheads in the large sizes.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I see. I hope I don’t run into any problems in the future but so far so good on the other barrel. I’ll use the gasket if I decide to make another s&g.
      I did ask A LOT of questions before on an old thread of mine and asked if I was supposed to use the gasket with the bulkhead (post #128) https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...-skimmer/page7
      and from what I understood I didn’t need it and had to use only the sealant.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Subersibo View Post
      I see. I hope I donít run into any problems in the future but so far so good on the other barrel. Iíll use the gasket if I decide to make another s&g.
      I did ask A LOT of questions before on an old thread of mine and asked if I was supposed to use the gasket with the bulkhead (post #128) https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...-skimmer/page7
      and from what I understood I didnít need it and had to use only the sealant.
      That is a shower drain, not an actual bulkhead. Bulkheads usually have a lot more surface area than a shower
      drain or a conduit adapter.
      I've done just like Jeff suggested and I tossed the gaskets and just used PL to seal both surfaces on
      the shower drain. I was liberal in using it and was sure to smear it evenly on the whole face of the drain
      surfaces. Then after installing and tightening, I'd take a gloved finger and run it around the edge to smooth
      out all the excess PL that oozed out so it made a nice seal around each part, the drain and the
      nut that attaches on the other side.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lots of confusion on that thread lol. I wasn’t able to find the correct shower drain and ordered a real bulkhead that someone there suggested. I asked in that post if I should use the gasket with the bulkhead that I just received and was directed to the post regarding just using the sealant so I assumed it worked the same as a shower drain. Anyway, it’s in that one spot only that is leaking and I suspect it’s where the bulkhead is connected to the pipe but no matter how much sealant I apply it still leaks.