• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Fish that probably suffered from an electric shock years ago now suddenly doing worse

asp1213 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Fish that probably suffered from an electric shock years ago now suddenly doing worse

Hi All,
      So I've had this fish 5 years, from 6" to now almost 30". A couple of years ago the fish suddenly started swimming very strangely and long story short based on some responses here back then, the possibility may have been some sort of electric shock. No other fish in the pond were affected. Years pass and the fish continues to grow and eat well, though "she" always seemed a little crooked and swam more like a waddle than the "normal" fish. Just recently moved this fish and the others from a koi pond show tank where they spent the winter comfortably in the basement, to the new 2100 gal pond. I have been doing daily water changes and adding koi clay while the bacteria gets going in the filters. pH has been 8.2 nitrites have been zero and nitrates/ammonia have been zero. Ammonia crept up slightly a couple of days ago but the frequent water changes have been keeping it down. The fish has been eating normally (though I am feeding lightly), and swimming as usual. Keep in mind that this fish also tends to take a head down position, and the tail does frequently come out of the water. I always attributed to not being in a big enough pond not helping the situation any. In fact, she seemed to do much better in the show tank as it was deeper/larger than what she had been in.
      Now that "she" is in a nice "big" pond that's 4 feet deep, she seems to be having more trouble than she did before. In fact, tonight I'm not sure if she could really eat as usual. I know that if it was from a previous electric shock nothing can really be done, but is the decline after moving to a new pond just a coincidence or is something else going on? Are the symptoms of a swim bladder issue similar to an electric shock? Just wanted to rule that out, though I am thinking its as dismal a response to any treatments as an electric shock.
      I'll see if I can get a video tomorrow. I'm just curious what people's thoughts/opinions are. Obviously if it gets worse I'll have to consider how long I would leave her like that. If anyone has any info on koi vets in the NJ area, that might be helpful as well, for now and for the future. Thanks in advance!
      Allison
      PS filtration is external pump to three SG Birdman filters, 4" bottom drain with aeration and Savio skimmer/waterfall with an additional TPR return. Also have the UV light in the Savio.
      Last edited by asp1213; 08-17-2019 at 01:05 AM. Reason: not finished

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What's listed for filtration is for particulates; what's being used for biological filtration?

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

A video would help. I might have showed this before but see if this is similar to how she moves:

Sadly she's one I had that suffered an electric shock. She lived another year but was never the same afterwards.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Steve, that's pretty much exactly how my fish has been, though it's been that way for a couple of years now. Just recently she seems to have gotten worse, more time in the head down trail up position and less time waddling around. Can you tell me what happened at the end, did your fish get worse as time went on? Thank you!

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

She eventually started to develop ulcers. I gave her injections to fight the bacteria but she hadn't eaten in a year
      and her quality of life really didn't justify trying to keep her alive any longer. She used to so enjoy eating out of people's
      hands and all the attention, it got so I realized I was keeping her alive more for me than her...

She'll always be one of my favorites.

Name:  with girls 4.6.2015.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  147.3 KB
      --Steve

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      She eventually started to develop ulcers. I gave her injections to fight the bacteria but she hadn't eaten in a year
      and her quality of life really didn't justify trying to keep her alive any longer. She used to so enjoy eating out of people's
      hands and all the attention, it got so I realized I was keeping her alive more for me than her...

She'll always be one of my favorites.

Name:  with girls 4.6.2015.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  147.3 KB
      Thank you for sharing. It's amazing how attached one can get to a fish. I don't think I realized how much it was weighing on me until this evening feeding found her acting like her old self and eating well. It's been a long three days! I'm still going to watch her closely, but hopefully she will be as ok as she can be for as long as she can! Thanks again everyone!
      Allison

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Just my humble opinion... but I'm with you. Even if yours won't ever "heal" 100%, as long as her quality of life is good
      and she doesn't seem in distress, I'd let her enjoy the time she has left and enjoy having her in your pond.
      --Steve

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007