Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      pond happy is offline Senior Member
      is is interested in keeping his
      koi happy!

Feeling:
      Meh

Koi with Major Tissue Damage

Hello everyone,

I haven't been around in a while, and did not hope this forum would be where I would start upon my return, but unfortunately, I've got a koi with a critical problem.

About 4 weeks ago, I went on a 2 week vacation, and while all my fish appeared healthy before and after my trip, something clearly harmed this fish. I have been having constant raccoon attacks in the past few weeks as my neighbour has an overgrown yard next door and all manner of wildlife live in there (just 50' away).

While I'm not exactly sure it was a raccoon attack that started this problem, one of my koi has a large gash on his lower section, just behind the pelvic fins. And it seems that infection has taken over too because what might have been a small tear/wound appears "eaten-back" by bacteria. I *suspect* a raccoon caused damage while we were away and then the wound sat there rotting. And because the pelvic fins did such a good job hiding the damage, it took a while for me to spot it too.

Unfortunately the damage is now quite large. Large enough that this koi's innards are exposed and protruding. The tissue itself does not look diseased and I was not able to spot much, if any, dead tissue around the wound. The problem is that so much skin is missing, I'm not sure how to get this closed up.

The fish's behaviour is completely normal. Strong swimmer, eating like crazy... sheer luck that I spotted this at all because it was so well hidden (and he likes to stay deep).

Name:  20190813_174812.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  153.8 KB

Water parameters are all normal, with nitrate being a little bit high.

pH ~8.3
      Ammonia 0
      Nitrite 0
      Nitrate - one colour up from 0 (cannot recall that scale - 50ppm?)

In the immediate aftermath of spotting this, I have sedated him, applied a lot of iodine to the affected area, then covered with denture powder and liquid skin. Then I injected 1.5ml of Ceftriaxone before releasing him back into the water.

Any thoughts on how to proceed here?

Thanks kindly for the assistance.
      Last edited by pond happy; 08-13-2019 at 06:49 PM.