• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 21 to 32 of 32

    Thread: Toxic Ammonia Tester

    1. #21
      Bengalcats888 is offline Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      43
      Hi,

      I bought the seachem ammonia (NH3) alert badge the other day. What’s the thoughts on this one?
      Is it reliable or even works? So many bad reviews, not sure they say old expired one or just bad quality control.

      I used API NH3/NH4 tester, first 30 seconds is 0ppm then 0.25ppm. The Ammonia badge alert reads 0 so far.

      I guess the API tester would need higher total ammonia for the badge to change. It also mentions something that it
      takes 4 hours to show new levels on the indicator?

    2. #22
      libralady is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Location
      Haverhill, MA
      Posts
      175
      Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      I place my Seachem Alert Card in my skimmer box. Also wanted to say be careful raising your PH when you have ammonia in your pond. The higher your PH the more toxic your ammonia will be to your fish. Once you have used ammonia remover and only have NH4, then it would be safe.
      Thank you. I will grab one.

    3. #23
      libralady is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Location
      Haverhill, MA
      Posts
      175
      I did my tests and took a short video to see if the ammonia seems toxic or not. Do they seem ok, other than starving? I am not really feeding them, other than wheatgerm as not any algae on the sides. I showed the only plants in there and how they look terrible. Should I add more floaters if I can find them now and a plant supplement? More lava rock? I am going to have to get rid of some fish if I can find a home for their size. Otherwise, how can I get the ammonia under control? I have always had a low KH, I have a test kit, but it is never over 4 drops. It mostly is 1-2 drops. Is there a better way to regulate it other than the baking soda--I would be adding that daily probably. With my test results today-what are the chances I still have good bacteria given my ammonia and low PH? Does the Nitrate mean I have good bacteria left?


      Test results are as follows and I have a pic of the ammonia and PH.

      Nitrite 0
      Nitrate 80(bright red,not brownish)
      Ammonia 3.0 not sure, that's why photo
      PH 6.5 ?
      KH 1 drop

      Also, I have fry in a tote that was on plants I pulled to fertilize, and 3 in the plant ring in the pond. I would like to bring them inside for the winter to rehome or swap if I get rid of some big ones. Any help on a sponge filter that would be best for them in a tank?

      Apparently I can't attach my video. Maybe I can send a youtube link?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

    4. #24
      icu2's Avatar
      icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying
       
      Feeling:
      Piratey
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Poulsbo, WA
      Posts
      28,052
      Quote Originally Posted by Bengalcats888 View Post
      Hi,

      I bought the seachem ammonia (NH3) alert badge the other day. What’s the thoughts on this one?
      Is it reliable or even works? So many bad reviews, not sure they say old expired one or just bad quality control.

      I used API NH3/NH4 tester, first 30 seconds is 0ppm then 0.25ppm. The Ammonia badge alert reads 0 so far.

      I guess the API tester would need higher total ammonia for the badge to change. It also mentions something that it
      takes 4 hours to show new levels on the indicator?
      From what I read it takes time for it go from a higher reading to a lower one, but from lower to higher it show it quickly.

      It's not really the amount of total ammonia that changes the Alert Card, only NH3. If you have a lot of NH4 (not harmful)
      but no NH3 the drip tests may show ammonia and the Card would still read 0 because the ammonia the drip test is finding
      is NH4.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

      "I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

    5. #25
      libralady is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Location
      Haverhill, MA
      Posts
      175
      Here are a couple of videos. I'm not sure if I did it right, let me know.

      https://youtu.be/-85W22gKIlk

      https://youtu.be/ER49gfAqAnU

    6. #26
      icu2's Avatar
      icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying
       
      Feeling:
      Piratey
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Poulsbo, WA
      Posts
      28,052
      Yep, video links worked great. The good thing is none of them seems in distress. But you're right,
      seems like a lot of fish for that size pond and not much bio filtration.
      Like you said, the pH looks very low. You should use the high range pH drip test. It will give a more
      accurate reading.
      If it were my pond I'd add the ammonia binder at the rate the bottle says for your gallons in the pond
      and count on it working and even though the drip tests show ammonia, and add baking soda. Baking soda
      I think is the cheapest and safest product to raise your KH. I'd add enough to raise the KH test 2 or 3 drops.
      I'd wait maybe 8 hours and add some more to raise it again and repeat that till you have it at 8 or 9 drops.
      Remember that you need to re-dose the pond with the ammonia binder every 48 hours or so. When it converts
      the ammonia from NH3 to NH4, it will slowly revert back to NH3 so that's why you have to keep adding more
      until things are under control.
      Btw, if you have a Costco membership they sell baking soda for cheap in, iirc, 13 lb. packages. Many of us add
      it routinely. Higher KH will help your filter convert ammonia too.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

      "I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

    7. #27
      trapper is offline Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Location
      N. Cal.
      Posts
      96
      Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Okay, I've seen those.
      From what I've read it looks like these aren't a drip test but just a glorified test strip... no?

      https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B0002A5XFU



      Is this review incorrect? Is it actually a drip test or is this not the one you're referencing?
      I'd love to find a reasonably priced NH3 drip test.
      This is the same I'm talking about but I haven't had any problems with it and it reads the same as the card I have in the pond. I just wanted to verify that the card was reading correctly..

    8. #28
      cplmac's Avatar
      cplmac is offline Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Northern Illinois
      Posts
      57
      Your ammonia in that photo looks more like 1.0 than 3.0, still high but MUCH better than 3.0. Mine regularly sits around .25-.50 and my fish couldn't be happier.

    9. #29
      libralady is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Location
      Haverhill, MA
      Posts
      175
      Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Yep, video links worked great. The good thing is none of them seems in distress. But you're right,
      seems like a lot of fish for that size pond and not much bio filtration.
      Like you said, the pH looks very low. You should use the high range pH drip test. It will give a more
      accurate reading.
      If it were my pond I'd add the ammonia binder at the rate the bottle says for your gallons in the pond
      and count on it working and even though the drip tests show ammonia, and add baking soda. Baking soda
      I think is the cheapest and safest product to raise your KH. I'd add enough to raise the KH test 2 or 3 drops.
      I'd wait maybe 8 hours and add some more to raise it again and repeat that till you have it at 8 or 9 drops.
      Remember that you need to re-dose the pond with the ammonia binder every 48 hours or so. When it converts
      the ammonia from NH3 to NH4, it will slowly revert back to NH3 so that's why you have to keep adding more
      until things are under control.
      Btw, if you have a Costco membership they sell baking soda for cheap in, iirc, 13 lb. packages. Many of us add
      it routinely. Higher KH will help your filter convert ammonia too.
      I am going to test everything again today and put the alerts in. I got the PH one also. If I were to make a DIY bio filter that was larger than the pressurized one I have and use that pump, was is the best and cheapest option?

    10. #30
      libralady is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Location
      Haverhill, MA
      Posts
      175
      Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
      Your ammonia in that photo looks more like 1.0 than 3.0, still high but MUCH better than 3.0. Mine regularly sits around .25-.50 and my fish couldn't be happier.
      Hopefully it is lower today with the W/C the other day

    11. #31
      icu2's Avatar
      icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying
       
      Feeling:
      Piratey
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Poulsbo, WA
      Posts
      28,052
      Quote Originally Posted by libralady View Post
      I am going to test everything again today and put the alerts in. I got the PH one also. If I were to make a DIY bio filter that was larger than the pressurized one I have and use that pump, was is the best and cheapest option?
      One of the best bio filters I've tried is a simple shower filter. I use feather rock in mine which some
      have a hard time finding, but I've seen bio balls, lava rock, ceramic media, etc... all used. This thread
      has some good ideas but you can do a search and find lots more on the forum:

      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ower-questions

      Like all bio filters, they do need good mechanical filtration before them to have the cleanest water
      possible going to them to prevent debris in them.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

      "I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

    12. #32
      libralady is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Location
      Haverhill, MA
      Posts
      175
      Just an update to this. Ammonia has been 0 for 3 days now and PH is at 7.4-7.6. I am on day 4 of day 7 Melafix treatment as a few have pink fins and one has a light red blemish on it's side. I am going to be looking into another filter. What is better, a bog with plants or another barrel, tub type?

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •