• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Zakki Sieve waste capacity

Idaho Jim is offline Member
      is Obsessing over filtration

Feeling:
      Geeky

Zakki Sieve waste capacity

Hi everyone. Hoping to buy a Zakki Sieve soon, the 16" one. I have one question. I am a little concerned about the amount of waste it can hold before the sieve screen will pop out of place. We have a 2500 gallon pond, and at times we get a lot of algae. I would like to be able to go a week or two without dumping the waste, in case we go on vacation or whatever.

So, is the amount of waste the sieve can hold an issue for people, especially for waiting that long between flushes?

Also, I am curious if I can add some additional waste capacity. I have seen several pictures of the sieve. Some have the waste valve next to the sieve, some have it after a length of pipe. If I came out of the sieve waste port with a 3" pipe and angled it down about a foot or so, then put the valve, would that section of pipe server to increase the amount of waste the sieve can hold?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Tony&koi is offline Senior Member
      is A guy with his fishes.

Feeling:
      Friendly

The waste stays on the screen and gets into denser form, so it would hardly fall in that extra length of pipe. If you leave the waste accumulated there too long, the water cannot pass thru the screen anymore and water will overflow from dirty side to clean side over the top of the sieve when the screen is still stayed on( this was what happened to me), so it would depend on what type of debris in your pond getting to your sieve and your next filter type, thing could be different.
      Tony

PaulWoj is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have both size Zakki's 16 and 24".
      The first 2 seasons I had a lot of string algae in these Zakki's before they would fall in from the weight of the debris. I could wait days before flushing. I also didn't even clean the sceen that often (take out and scrub to like new)
      A weird thing happened this spring, the sceens on both were falling down in 24 hours and didn't have a lot of waste on them. The difference was the string algae was different. It was slimy, half dead. Previous years the string algae was strong, crisp fibers. I think the screen was getting clogged easier and pushing down the screen.
      My pond is 3 years old now and very little string algae.
      In your case it will depend on the dirts, accumulating.
      In my case it totaly changed in one year as to how long I can go between flushing.
      The fall is different also. Leaves that lay flat down on the screen can knock it down.
      Were Ive had the thing filled with crinkled leaves, water can go around the leaves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mild Bill is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

I have had a different type of algae in the spring also. It kind of puts a thin layer over the entire screen and finally pushes through from the weight of the water. Then later on in the spring the algae changes to the type that accumulates on the bottom of the screen but still lets the water through near the top. I have to flush mine daily because it accumulates algae about an inch thick nearly halfway up the screen. I may be able to let it go two days if I absolutely have to but no longer.

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

For those of you seeing the screen drop, there is an easy fix for that. I used a plastic pipe strap piece and attached it to the screens center screw on the bottom and then added a small eye screw and screwed it into the bottom of the waste trough. I figure if I ever stop using it, the hole is small enough that a couple drops of superglue would fill the hole. For $4 and a spare eye screw, it was a cheap and easy fix.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-...3527/301505505
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've been using the 16 for probably 7 years now. I've never had my screen cave in, but you definitely have to watch your water conditions and clean the screen on a regular basis. My ponds are heavily planted, and I probably get more debris than most ponds. In the spring/early summer, I need to clean the screen every day, or every other day or else the sieve will overflow . When it overflows, the sludge will get sucked into the pump basket, which in turn will clog, and reduce water flow to next to nothing. Not a good thing for the pump or the fish.
      Now that the initial algae growth cycle is in check, I can go 4 days without cleaning, and things run a lot smoother. There is no way I could go a week or two as you are hoping for. You would come home to a disaster.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      For those of you seeing the screen drop, there is an easy fix for that. I used a plastic pipe strap piece and attached it to the screens center screw on the bottom and then added a small eye screw and screwed it into the bottom of the waste trough. I figure if I ever stop using it, the hole is small enough that a couple drops of superglue would fill the hole. For $4 and a spare eye screw, it was a cheap and easy fix.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-...3527/301505505
      So, is using the strap to keep the screen from falling in setting you up for something worse? What happens when the screen gets overwhelmed with "guck"?

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
      There is no way I could go a week or two as you are hoping for. You would come home to a disaster.
      How bad of a disaster do you think it would be? We currently go a week or two between cleaning the pump priming pot basket, just because it is such a messy pain in the butt. The flow definitely gets restricted, but that's all...

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Jim View Post
      So, is using the strap to keep the screen from falling in setting you up for something worse? What happens when the screen gets overwhelmed with "guck"?
      It does not set you up for anything other than cleaning the screen. Any clogged Zakki screen over flows and continues to run should you forget.

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      It does not set you up for anything other than cleaning the screen. Any clogged Zakki screen over flows and continues to run should you forget.
      See my post above. This is what would happen on my ponds if I don't keep an eye on the screen. Screen will clog up to the point that water will back up in the Zakki, and the amount of water getting through the screen can not keep pace with the incoming water flow. Water will then rise in the chamber until it overflows over the side baffle plates. Much of the gunk on the screen then gets carried over the side plates and goes to the bottom of the Zakki where it is sucked in by the pump and goes through the pump filter basket. This can easily clog the pump filter basket to the point where little to no water can get through. This doesn't happen instantly, and as Jim said, the Zakki will continue to run for a period of time , but on my system, it doesn't take very long until the pump basket clogs as well.
      In the early peak season for string algae and rapid plant growth, if I don't keep an eye on it, I can come home to " empty " waterfalls, where not enough water volume is getting through. I then go into panic mode, and have to unplug the pump, clean out the totally clogged pump basket, clean out the Zakki, and start everything up again. While this sounds bad, it only takes a few minutes to do this, and the system is back up and running. Luckily, I have always been home when this happens, but I would imagine if you were on vacation and had no water going through your pump for multiple days, or a week, you might come home to a pond of dead fish, and /or a ruined pump. I think most good pumps have an automatic overheat/ shut down component, so maybe the pump would be ok. I have never had this happen, so I don't know .

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

For me I don't have any of the long stuff, just fines. The fines clog the small micron screen fast so i bumped it back to the original that came with the unit and there are no issues there. As for my pump basket, I pull it twice a year to clear the build up and thankfully have had no issues with it when the zakki overflows from a clogged screen.

DangerDave is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My solution for when I go on a vacation I disconnect the skimmer and BD and replace with canal intake pipe. Everything that falls into the pond just stays there until I get back.

https://www.simsupply.com/plumbing-s...yABEgLyp_D_BwE

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
      My solution for when I go on a vacation I disconnect the skimmer and BD and replace with canal intake pipe. Everything that falls into the pond just stays there until I get back.

https://www.simsupply.com/plumbing-s...yABEgLyp_D_BwE
      If all the input is coming through this intake pipe, it would seem that the pipe would be quickly fouled . The slits seem to be fairly small, and string algae would clog if there was a lot in the pond ? Then we're back to the same problem where the pump can't get enough water. If your pond is pretty clean to start with, then it might work great.

DangerDave is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
      If all the input is coming through this intake pipe, it would seem that the pipe would be quickly fouled . The slits seem to be fairly small, and string algae would clog if there was a lot in the pond ? Then we're back to the same problem where the pump can't get enough water. If your pond is pretty clean to start with, then it might work great.
      There are different mfrs, I'm not exactly sure which I have. I did also buy 2 and join them to provide a longer tube. And also made a stand of sorts to get it off the bottom. By the end of 2 weeks it looks pretty bad but I still have flow enough for the system. I always leave instructions with whomever is staying with the dogs to review the pond and if flow seems too low, get a broom and brush off the tube.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007