• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi DNA Study (color genes)

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi DNA Study (color genes)

Pretty interesting. I have to reread it tho because some of it is over my head.

file.scirp.org/Html/6-7100155_21947.htm

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Hope J View Post
      Pretty interesting. I have to reread it tho because some of it is over my head.
      Thanks for the link Hope. I may have to study it another day when I feel like a challenge. I see what you mean about it being a difficult read. It is rather like genetics and biotechnology experts talking to each other. Hopefully we will be able to decipher some of it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It looks like the coloring in Kohaku comes from the Female and the black in Utsuri comes from the Male. I still haven't finished the article, I have to read in bits and pieces as time allows.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, brief rundown of the Study.

Basically, they were looking for genetic color markers that would distinguish Koi genetically from the common Carp. They also wanted to determine if all varieties of Koi would carry the distinguishing markers or not (the conclusion on this one would probably make more sense to y'all than it does me), anyhoo, they noticed some haplogroups that were not much use to them but would be of use to Koi Breeders which is why I posted it.
      Basically, it all comes down to Kohaku (I guess that saying about Breeding beginning and ending with Kohaku is true?). Kohaku have the genetic marker they were looking for which happens to be the red. The red is Mitochondrial (coming from the female) and is polymorphic so other color aspects come from the female as well but I don't know in what way. It also mentioned a rare allele affecting 33% of the female Kohaku population?
      Notably, they compared this to Sankes because they are the closest relative to the Kohaku and found that Sankes did not have the distinguishing genetic marker that would separate it genetically from the common Carp. Weird right? They did mention some photoreceptor links to the red in the Kohaku so I'm guessing this is why the color changes in the sun?

What are your thoughts on these findings compared to your personal observations in spawnings? Any idea what the rare allele they mentioned could be?

Rob Forbis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I read this one over quickly. The study is OK as far as raising ones perspective a bit. Give the authors credit in that used what they had at the time a collection of Israeli koi and come convenient makers. I have worked with some other Israeli scientists who like these fellows were studying koi with their particular expertise but they had no real knowledge of koi as a fish. Sorting varieties based upon 3 mtDNA genes and two nuclear genes (that however convenient likely have little to do with coloration) is an interesting exercise but to my mind mostly irrelevant. For example what is the practical value of knowing that a SNP in a mtDNA gene is statistically a kohaku?

Five years ago the whole genome of Cyprinus carpio was sequenced. https://www.nature.com/articles/ng.3098

A very interesting paper that was published in Nature the preeminent science journal. But to show you what happens when scientists get outside of their lane in the paper they assert that they have discovered pheomelanin (brown pigment) in common carp. There is no brown pigment in carp (or any fish), brown is just dark orange. I wrote to the authors to question this finding (did they do the $50 histology to verify) they wrote back to say that one other person had also raised the issue.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you! How interesting! I guess it seems like useful information for me as a newbie but probably not for experienced Koi owners. There is a lot that goes above my head on this but my main reason for trying to learn is because my favorite color is Purple and I can't imagine anything prettier than some Purple Gin Rin Koi owning my Pond like the inner Prince (RIP) they would be. So, I have to figure out how to breed them which means I need to learn which sexes/varieties pass on which traits otherwise I'm just wasting my time :/ The color inheritance is obviously the biggest factor in this equation but also seems to be the hardest thing to learn since they don't breed true.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007