• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Am I overstocked?

Pond Beau is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Am I overstocked?

My current pond I've had for about 5 or 6 years. Meant to be only goldfish, but I was gifted 2 young koi several years ago. I currently have the 2 koi and about a dozen goldfish. My pond is about 575 gallons. I have 2 pumps (not sure of the size) one goes to a spitter, the other to a waterfall which feeds through some plants to assist in filtration even more. I have about 2/3 coverage with plants. My pond looks healthy and the fish look healthy, my reading on test kits are normal, but I'm getting worried about it being so stocked. How much of a problem do you think I have? I never really thought about it until now and I'm worried it's going to crash.

jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Stocking is more about filtration and what the water and filters can handle. Obviously more gallons per fish helps, but its not the end all be all. I would measure your ammonia in the morning, afternoon, and evening to see if it is always at an acceptable level. Testing in the morning after no food for 12 hours may be giving a false sense of security. The second thing I would look at is the size of the koi. How big were they when you got them and how big are they now? Growth can be a great indicator beyond that of the filter handling the mechanical and biological load of the fish. I know someone with a 300g pond that tests ok, but her fish are still around 12 inches after 5+ years showing there is no room for growth with the care of the water in that system.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I didn't think about making sure I test after they've eaten, that's a good idea. I've just gotten even more into my pond this year and realized oh no I probably have too many! But im that overly attached person �� so I don't want to get rid of anyone if I can help it. I've tried to up my plant game this year to help with filtration and I'm working on my waterfall area so it goes through a second filtration system that's more of a bog concept.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I usually test several hours after meals and get 0s, I tested maybe an hour after a feeding today and got 0 nitrite and .25 ppm ammonia.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Most people are at 0 to .25 with ammonia, so you are not that far off. As they grow they will produce more ammonia, but for now you are ok in that area. How has their growth been since you got them?

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would say they (koi) have grown between 2-3 x the size I got them about 3 years ago. Goldfish have maybe doubled.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Given they were probably small at 6-8 inches, they are growing just fine. I would say you are stocked ok, just don't add to it as with growing fish or increase number of fish your filters will not be as successful. Just keep the filters running good, change water regularly, and you could probably maintain just fine with your current levels. If you are eyeing more fish, then start thinking about more space and filters to match the new fish load.