• Tired

Thread: Feather Rock - St Louis MO

msegger is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Feather Rock - St Louis MO

Hi,
      I found a feather rock supplier in St. Louis MO but only sells it by the boulders, 300# and its .80cents / #. I dont believe I will need 300#. Is there anyone in the general interested in going in on a quarter or half?

Catch is the supplier will not break up the boulder unless you purchase it.

Does anyone else have any other supplier suggestions in the midwest?

Greatly appreciated

Jojoartie is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I found mine on ebay, already broken into pieces small enough for a shower. Got it a year or two ago. Try a search and see what you come up with.

flobb is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I got it at Buchheit Supply in Cottleville, MO. $0.80 sounds about right on price, but I bought it the fall before last so don't exactly remember. They have small boulders ranging probably 5-20 lbs each.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by flobb View Post
      I got it at Buchheit Supply in Cottleville, MO. $0.80 sounds about right on price, but I bought it the fall before last so don't exactly remember. They have small boulders ranging probably 5-20 lbs each.
      Actually that is who I found and all them have right now are the large boulders. Did you use it for a shower? if so, how many shelves are you running? I am trying to figure roughly how much I need for my setup with totes. Thanks

flobb is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nope, using it for a waterfall. Which is mostly hidden behind these impatients at the moment. What you see here are the "boulders" as purchased. I did not break them down further. Have you been to their facility, or just what they told you on the phone? I think the last time I went by there was to buy these rocks.

I have two stacks of two totes for trickle towers, filled with red lava rock before I discovered feather rock. I haven't had a problem with the lava rock yet, even though I know it's less preferred.

waterfall.jpg
      Last edited by flobb; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:52 PM.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by msegger View Post
      Actually that is who I found and all them have right now are the large boulders. Did you use it for a shower? if so, how many shelves are you running? I am trying to figure roughly how much I need for my setup with totes. Thanks
      I'm not sure what size your totes are but mine are 48 in long x 15 in wide x 11 high and it took
      ~200 lbs. to fill 2 1/2 of them. Just fwiw...

--Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I'm not sure what size your totes are but mine are 48 in long x 15 in wide x 11 high and it took
      ~200 lbs. to fill 2 1/2 of them. Just fwiw...

Great - ok, yeah actually still doing plumbing and installing the pond equipment then I will see how much room I have available to determine what totes to go with. I believe you are running three or four shelves, correct? what size pond is that one for? Thanks

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by flobb View Post
      Nope, using it for a waterfall. Which is mostly hidden behind these impatients at the moment. What you see here are the "boulders" as purchased. I did not break them down further. Have you been to their facility, or just what they told you on the phone? I think the last time I went by there was to buy these rocks.

I have two stacks of two totes for trickle towers, filled with red lava rock before I discovered feather rock. I haven't had a problem with the lava rock yet, even though I know it's less preferred.

waterfall.jpg
      very nice, I would you still adding to the beneficial bacteria colony even it's nice in a shower. Thanks

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by msegger View Post
      Great - ok, yeah actually still doing plumbing and installing the pond equipment then I will see how much room I have available to determine what totes to go with. I believe you are running three or four shelves, correct? what size pond is that one for? Thanks
      Right, there are 4 boxes but the top one is empty and only distributes water. The next two are full of media and the bottom
      one is half full. They're fed by an Evolution ESBB10500 pump and the pond is about 4000 gallons.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

trapper is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I used 6 15 gal. containers, the black and yellow 1s and have 400 lbs. in them.. I sawed all mine up into about 3/4" x 1-2" long. Unbelievable surface area and 4 are full but the top 2 only 1/2 full with a grey matala mat on top to catch any algae that makes it through the system.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
      I used 6 15 gal. containers, the black and yellow 1s and have 400 lbs. in them.. I sawed all mine up into about 3/4" x 1-2" long. Unbelievable surface area and 4 are full but the top 2 only 1/2 full with a grey matala mat on top to catch any algae that makes it through the system.
      Great thank you