• Tired

Thread: Shusui color vs clean

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Shusui color vs clean

In my pond I have 4 Shusui. One is clean, decent color, been around for awhile and no plans of letting it go. The other three however I have to let one or two go. In March of 18 I picked up this first one. As you can see from the pic though, there are some sumi spots on it. I have not pulled it recently but still just a few speckles preventing it from being a clean pattern, the beni is vibrant and thick. In the second pic the top two shusui in the pic made it through QT (lower one was a jumper and found a hole in the net). I picked them up this March and both are growing fine like the one from last year. The beni has thinned out and they have that more typical orange/red coloring you see in most shusui (outside of high dollar koi). There are no speckles giving them a cleaner look. The third pick is my old shusui which falls in the same category as the two newer ones of clean but not as vibrant.

The question is, which goes? If you are keeping for enjoyment and not show, do you go with color and minor imperfections or clean but less vibrant beni?
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you have 2 that are virtually the same, and you want to rehome one out of the 4, then I think the answer is to rehome 1 of the 2 twins . No need to have 2 the same, unless they were both outstanding, which you're saying they're not.

rainblood is online now Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Keep the clean ones
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

JapaneseFamousKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you're keeping for enjoyment and not for show, you keep the one you like and not the one others tell you to keep...

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by nishikigoi21 View Post
      If you're keeping for enjoyment and not for show, you keep the one you like and not the one others tell you to keep...
      Asking about preference. I am undecided across the board.

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

koiffee is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Shusui color vs clean

Keep the one you like and you feel has the best enjoyment for yourself over time. Personally for me i would go cleaner one and maybe feed some color food to help maintain beni?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

Keep the females.
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

JapaneseFamousKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      Asking about preference. I am undecided across the board.
      It sounds like you're more interested in pleasing others with your fish rather than yourself.

Too many people are brainwashed in this hobby in that they are supposed to choose females over males or a $2,000 over a $20 Koi. I'm not saying a $20 Koi is better than ones that cost thousands of dollars but it all just depends on one's level.

My point is, you shouldn't worry about show standards or "preferences" if you're not trying to compete. Sure it would help to learn about ones with more future potential(for example less likely to fade colors) but we all have different tastes and you shouldn't have to "prefer" one that is "better"

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by nishikigoi21 View Post
      It sounds like you're more interested in pleasing others with your fish rather than yourself.
      I am asking what others would choose for their personal opinions on what is more important to them, not to choose for me based on photos that are 4 months to a year old. Try and move past your perception of what I am asking and either answer the question posed or ignore the post, but not try and knock me down for asking.

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you are undecided, keep all for another year. That may give you a better idea which ones you like best.
      Nancy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

They all look great way better than my first tosai shusui
      M.Nguyen

stephen is offline Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      In my pond I have 4 Shusui. One is clean, decent color, been around for awhile and no plans of letting it go. The other three however I have to let one or two go. In March of 18 I picked up this first one. As you can see from the pic though, there are some sumi spots on it. I have not pulled it recently but still just a few speckles preventing it from being a clean pattern, the beni is vibrant and thick. In the second pic the top two shusui in the pic made it through QT (lower one was a jumper and found a hole in the net). I picked them up this March and both are growing fine like the one from last year. The beni has thinned out and they have that more typical orange/red coloring you see in most shusui (outside of high dollar koi). There are no speckles giving them a cleaner look. The third pick is my old shusui which falls in the same category as the two newer ones of clean but not as vibrant.

The question is, which goes? If you are keeping for enjoyment and not show, do you go with color and minor imperfections or clean but less vibrant beni?
      Simple question, simple answer If I was keeping for enjoyment only and not for show, I would keep the one that appeals to me the most Probably the friendliest one, the one I liked the most

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I say keep them all

Jojoartie is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would keep the one with the best zipper which to me is the one in the middle of the second picture.

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would only keep the middle one. I really am turned off by bad zippers, like #3. And, the top one is too smudgy for me to enjoy. The middle one gives a happy impression.

These were from Champion Koi? ...Tom had a bunch of Shusui when he set-up. When I went back by, most were gone. Shusui tosai among the most beautiful koi. If only they did not mature.

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Hi, Jim, you know how much i like shusui. Shame so many of them get smudgy or otherwise crap out. of the three in my siggy line, one won Judge's Pick and looks excellent at ten years. another, a sister from same breeder (hosokai), had her zipper bleed sumi for about four inches across. The last one, a hi shusui (otsuka) as gone completely lost all color including the sumi under the dorsal scales. virtually went white. Well, one outta three ain't bad, but they were oyagoi. what will get passed on to offspring.
      but enough about me and mine.

If this was up to me i would keep the last one. Because it is clean. and the hi is vibrant. and its face is cute.
      It makes a good appearance and for me, this fish is the winnah!

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I am hit or miss, which ever strikes my fancy so to speak. When it comes to mine, the darker one of the 3 young shusui will likely stay and the older one with the before/after pic has a permanent home. The darker one will get a year, the other two will get a new home. Looking into the pond the beni is shifting and losing color and I expect them both to lose most of the beni.

While most focused on color, I do agree with the shift a bit on the zipper. An ugly zipper can ruin the appeal on any Shusui. If they could all look as good as an adult as they look as Tosai like Mike noted, we would all have ponds full of them.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007