• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New 1300 gallon goldfish pond from scratch

Mk11 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

New 1300 gallon goldfish pond from scratch

First off, I'm amazed by the amount of knowledge and detail I've seen from some of you folks on koiphen. I'm really hoping you can help me avoid any major screw ups with my pond design.
      So, I've just finished a patio with a 5'10x9'10 area designated for a cinder block pond. Planning on 3 courses of block to go 24" above ground. It'll be done with 6" wide blocks, leaving an interior of 4'10x9'10" but I have no limit on how far down I can go. (planning on another 3' or so) At this point the only thing aside from the pond dimensions that are set is the inclusion of a slim line 36" waterfall feature to be piped about 20" above the waterline and I will definitely be using a BD (3"?) Now I could really use some help to figure out a cost effective and efficient design for the the filtration. Also, am I banished from koi ownership at that size or could I keep a few happy in such a small area? Any guidance would be much appreciated!
      Last edited by Mk11; 1 Week Ago at 09:29 PM.

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Welcome Mk! Check out Birdman's sand and gravel filter. Cheap to build and works great. For bio, you can go moving bed filter or shower. Lots of information here on the forum. Do you have a good place to hide the filtration? It can take up as much space as your pond. The better the filtration, the more koi you can keep. Go as deep as you can for more water volume. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Let’s see some pics!!!

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Welcome MK and thanks for joining Koiphen!

"Cost effective" and "efficient" design leaves a lot of room for misinterpretation .
      It's best to share an idea of how much you have in mind to spend and how much
      time you could see dedicating to maintaining the pond without it become overwhelming.

I look forward to watching your build! Enjoy the forum!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hey, thanks for the welcoming responses. Let me give a little more info, right now the plan is to run a 3" BD around 10 feet to a 55 gallon SC/pre-filter > 55 gallon SG filter > in ground pump, UV, then 15 feet back to the waterfall/pond. My big questions are: Is 3" the right size for the bottom drain, will having the pump where I'm planning work, is my filtration adequate for the pond size, and since I'm feeding a water feature above water level, do I need to place the drums higher? I'm probably missing some things due to my lack of experience here but those seem like the big ones for me. Thanks for the help and I'll definitely be posting pictures as the pond comes along.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I think 3" for a ~4'x10' pond should work fine figuring a pump of less than 3000 gph, which
      is more than the 55g SC and s/g filter will support anyway. The s/g filter needs to be pump fed.
      I put mine at the top of the stream/waterfall and hide it there and then put the UV between the pump
      and s/g filter. The SC needs to be at pond level... here's a drawing that might help:

Name:  1 pump BD SC with SG.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  41.6 KB
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise.
      Who knows what the tide could bring." --Tom Hanks in Cast Away

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the great drawing, Steve! That really does help. Unfortunately I have to scrap the diy setup. I really would've preferred it but after a little area mock up and a conversation with a real estate pro, the filtration design was deemed too "niche" so I'm relegated to a pressurized system. The formal pond design still works, just can't pair it with 55gal drums. I'm now looking at a BD > priming pot > external pump > pressurized filter > waterfall setup. My big concerns now (aside from a very limited fish load) are check/ball valve placement and pipe diameter. I'm still looking at a 10' length from BD to the pump and around 15' from skimmer to pump, would 3" drain and 2" skimmer line be appropriate? 2" return up to waterfall? (would be the longest stretch, almost 20') The entire system will be below the waterline, where would you suggest valves be placed? Would also be interested in any suggestions on pumps and pressurized filters. Sorry for all the questions, even though I've found tons of info on koiphen, I'm just specifically interested in your opinions on these things.
      Last edited by Mk11; 1 Day Ago at 02:06 AM.