• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling water with a fountain?

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Cooling water with a fountain?

Would a small fountain like either of these do anything to cool the water in my pond? I'm wondering if the dropplets that go up would cool due to evaporation and come back down enough cooler to make a difference in my water temperature. My pond is 2000 gallons, so I realize I might need a bigger unit than this, but I'm just wondering about the concept of cooling through fountain evaporation. If you think this could work, how often do you think the water should be turned over? On the other hand, could shooting the water up through the hot summer air raise the temperature?

Name:  LAGUNA.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  15.2 KB

Name:  oase.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  55.7 KB
      Last edited by pickerel; 07-10-2019 at 03:17 PM.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

You might have to add some tower cooling fan to reduce the temp a bit lower
      I have a suggestion but might cost you some energy
      If you have a small ref that sit around
      Find a barrel that fit into the ref 30-55gallons ?
      Then use a very small pump or split it from your current setup
      50-100gph
      This will be the feed line
      The return line will gravity flow back into the pond
      You will have to drill holes through the sides of the ref and sealed the lines
      Water comes in will slowly get cool with 37F inside the ref and return mix with your pond temp
      I don’t think running a ref could cost that much right?
      My 2 cents
      M.Nguyen

trapper is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hmmm, I'm not so sure that it'll help ya but some shade would.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I use a shade cloth over the top of my awning and also on 2 sides. Despite that temps got over 82 . I installed a mist system and when i turn it on I've never got over 78 degrees on a 100 degree day. I tried ice. Water changes and the mist system helped the most

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pickerel View Post
      Would a small fountain like either of these do anything to cool the water in my pond? I'm wondering if the dropplets that go up would cool due to evaporation and come back down enough cooler to make a difference in my water temperature. My pond is 2000 gallons, so I realize I might need a bigger unit than this, but I'm just wondering about the concept of cooling through fountain evaporation. If you think this could work, how often do you think the water should be turned over? On the other hand, could shooting the water up through the hot summer air raise the temperature?

Name:  LAGUNA.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  15.2 KB

Name:  oase.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  55.7 KB

What temperature is your pond water?

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Evaporative cooling is determined by the difference in wet bulb and dry bulb temperatures. Cooling towers use high velocity fans to effect cooling on water that is converted into droplets , generally by some plastic media (packing) and spray nozzles. Depending on your wet and dry bulb temperatures and the temperature of your pond water you may end up either heating or cooling the water.

The only cost effective ways I know to cool ponds are:
      Water changes ( assuming your city water is at a suitable temperature)
      Solar cooling ( running the water through a solar collector at NIGHT). On a cloudless night the radient exchange can result in cooling below ambient temperature.

I would only install the indicated fountain for aesthetic purposes.

One final note - Submersible pumps generate heat and will also warm the water.
      Last edited by pondfishguy; 07-10-2019 at 11:00 PM.

is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Thank you all for the ideas and information. My water temp. has been getting up to 88 on hot days. At night it will only cool down to 84. My well water is 73, but I have only been doing small water changes...nothing massive. The fish seem fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      I use a shade cloth over the top of my awning and also on 2 sides. Despite that temps got over 82 . I installed a mist system and when i turn it on I've never got over 78 degrees on a 100 degree day. I tried ice. Water changes and the mist system helped the most
      Kevin, this sounds promising. Please tell us more about it. Do you have pictures of your system or a link to where you got it?

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

If it is koi then there will be problems
      M.Nguyen

pondfishguy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Shading is the obvious first step in preventing solar gain, which is over 75% of what is causing the water temp to increase. Misting will reduce the ambient air temperature at the pond surface, but it's effectiveness will depend on the wet bulb temperature. Higher relative humidity will negate the effect.

is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

I'm glad to be sticking with goldfish for now. They are beautiful to me and I'm satisfied with them. The humidity around here has felt like a sauna lately, so it's probably back to figuring out some kind of shade.

I know some people lay foamular foam board on the surface in the winter to hold in heat. Do you think this might help insulate the water from the sun's heat, or would it just keep heat from escaping and prevent cooling through evaporation? Just another idea I'm exploring.
      Last edited by pickerel; 07-11-2019 at 12:07 PM.

gray cat is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring.

Feeling:
      Awesome

My pond water has been as high as 89* this summer. I was out of town during a heat wave. I keep aerators on because I know hot water will lose oxygen. I do water changes because our city water stays around 50 to 60* in the summer. I also have a big section of shade cloth that I throw over the pond and it lays on top of my netting. I don't use the shade cloth on days that are below 90*. My water surface is 85% covered with lily pads.
      So I feel shade is the number one thing to do for your pond and also for your fish to keep your temps. down. Second is water changes if your water is cooler than your pond water.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks Nancy, glad I'm not alone. My lilies cover only about 20% of the surface. I'm experimenting today. I threw a bunch of pieces of foam board on the surface and am floating a gallon milk jug of ice. We'll see what happens. I wish we had more freezer space.
      You mentioned your net; I thought you were depending only on the sprinkler as a deterrent, or is the net to catch debris?

trapper is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm glad to be sticking with goldfish for now. They are beautiful to me and I'm satisfied with them. The humidity around here has felt like a sauna lately, so it's probably back to figuring out some kind of shade.

I know some people lay foamular foam board on the surface in the winter to hold in heat. Do you think this might help insulate the water from the sun's heat, or would it just keep heat from escaping and prevent cooling through evaporation? Just another idea I'm exploring.
      If you try this route get the foam with the foil backing on it and it will reflect all of the heat from the water.

is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

Good idea. The foam pieces I had in the shop are not that type but I will keep it in mind. Thanks.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Thank you all for the ideas and information. My water temp. has been getting up to 88 on hot days. At night it will only cool down to 84. My well water is 73, but I have only been doing small water changes...nothing massive. The fish seem fine.

Kevin, this sounds promising. Please tell us more about it. Do you have pictures of your system or a link to where you got it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6YivFORomA. its just a basic mist kit from orbit. Water temp was 84 since i forgot to turn it on this morning. We had a low of 65 ans now its 98 outside. Ill see if the temp drops in 2 hours

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Well been about 30 minutes and temp is 83 now. I used 2 digital use lab ph pens. Wish I had a temp gun to check air temp

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I believe a water fountain will only cool off the pond if it’s turned on when the air temp is cooler than the water temp. You’d get the reverse effect if you turned on the water fountain when air temp is really hot compared to pond temp.

Orlando is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good idea. The foam pieces I had in the shop are not that type but I will keep it in mind. Thanks.
      Be careful how you use floating foam pieces over the water if you decide going that route since they will hinder the oxygen exchange.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Car said 94 outside still..pond water is now 81 degrees. Cooled 3 degrees in just over 2 hours

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you get enough evaporation the fountain should provide some cooling. They sell spray bars and fountains that are advertised to cool swimming pools. No idea if what you have pictured is enough spray to make a difference. I have heard that some showers and trickle towers are too inclosed and actually pick up heat from the air. It would seem that an open spray would cool.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast