• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Tosai Sanke

Bahama Koi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Tosai Sanke

So I volunteer at a place on the weekends to help out. All the koi are Japanese from the top breeders. As the new orders of tosai come in, I help sort into ponds based on price, move older ones around ect. Any way this little guy was swimming around in the cheapest pond “mutt pond” if you will. The owner saw me snag him and told me I could have him to grow out myself. I currently moved him to a much bigger pond with big koi. I love the skin quality and if sumi pattern develops the way I hope it should have a nice balanced sumi pattern. Now on to the bad stuff. The koi is rather small it is less than a year old about 6” mid section looks a little small/weak I know this will need work, but the body does have some height. I don’t believe it will ever make it to 30” but I think this fish at 24-26” would be a solid fish what are your guys thoughts on potential? Regardless I think for a free fish nice little find.Name:  9874ABEA-C85A-4B22-A09C-C697F018537F.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  70.7 KB
      Name:  B89E97EA-FA69-4467-9CC2-995531037E09.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  74.7 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

I see the body and beni are a problem.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
      I see the body and beni are a problem.
      Defiantly agree with body, what makes you say Beni? Beni on the head and tail seems pretty strong mid section a little weak but still developing. Not disagreeing just curious.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The body is on the short side and the Beni has challenges. On the Beni, it doesn't appear to have the nature of consolidating. Look at how it presents on the top of the koi. It is has an undefined delicate presence even where it is thicker. The Sumi, OTOH, does have the appearance of a consolidating nature which is very good.

For free, it's a fun little koi. What it does as it matures will be a great learning experience. Save you baby pics and compare it in a year or so.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      The body is on the short side and the Beni has challenges. On the Beni, it doesn't appear to have the nature of consolidating. Look at how it presents on the top of the koi. It is has an undefined delicate presence even where it is thicker. The Sumi, OTOH, does have the appearance of a consolidating nature which is very good.

For free, it's a fun little koi. What it does as it matures will be a great learning experience. Save you baby pics and compare it in a year or so.
      Yeah I think it will be a fun one to watch develop. I general select tosai over 6” (minimum) as a personal rule. As I focus mainly on body shape at that stage, because like most of us my goal is to develop large fish. This one was a little over 5” but what actually caught my eye in this fish was the shirro and sumi. I know it’s hard to tell but the shirro on this fish was very white for such a young fish. It didn’t have that yellowish tint to it. All fish are a process and at the end of the day it’s about enjoying the process.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Bahama Koi View Post
      Yeah I think it will be a fun one to watch develop. I general select tosai over 6” (minimum) as a personal rule. As I focus mainly on body shape at that stage, because like most of us my goal is to develop large fish. This one was a little over 5” but what actually caught my eye in this fish was the shirro and sumi. I know it’s hard to tell but the shirro on this fish was very white for such a young fish. It didn’t have that yellowish tint to it. All fish are a process and at the end of the day it’s about enjoying the process.
      Just keep in mind that the best skin on koi is not pure white as tosai.
      This is a tosai I selected and what she looked like as Sansai.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

TylerDurden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just keep in mind that the best skin on koi is not pure white as tosai.
      This is a tosai I selected and what she looked like as Sansai.
      Its amazing to me how long it's taking for the sumi to come in on this koi. That's some thick silky skin there. I imagine this sanke will only get prettier as time goes on.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you, Tyler. I am afraid she didn't survive her last Azukari stay. The Sumi was finally begin to fully emerge and I suspect it would have taken another 2-3 years for it to surface. That is what you want with koi. The longer the journey, the more time you have to enjoy the koi. My 33+" Hosokai Showa is still developing her Sumi pattern and she is 6yo.

Skin can be a challenging thing to understand. Good skin is not only full of luster but is also thick.
      The koi that have the best skin often have skin that is yellow by show standards. Koi with yellow skin aren't always the ones with the best skin but the best skin is not white as tosai. I've compared it to pearls in many previous posts. The skin on this koi indicated quality but also the thickness of the skin. Koi with good thick skin are truly beautiful.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you, Tyler. I am afraid she didn't survive her last Azukari stay. The Sumi was finally begin to fully emerge and I suspect it would have taken another 2-3 years for it to surface. That is what you want with koi. The longer the journey, the more time you have to enjoy the koi. My 33+" Hosokai Showa is still developing her Sumi pattern and she is 6yo.

Skin can be a challenging thing to understand. Good skin is not only full of luster but is also thick.
      The koi that have the best skin often have skin that is yellow by show standards. Koi with yellow skin aren't always the ones with the best skin but the best skin is not white as tosai. I've compared it to pearls in many previous posts. The skin on this koi indicated quality but also the thickness of the skin. Koi with good thick skin are truly beautiful.
      Sorry to here about your sanke such a great pattern. Great points as well. If I may also add that understanding a pattern and how it will develop as the fish get older and larger is an art on its own.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Bahama Koi View Post
      Sorry to here about your sanke such a great pattern. Great points as well. If I may also add that understanding a pattern and how it will develop as the fish get older and larger is an art on its own.
      I would agree, lots of trial and error to get to the point of having some confidence about it. A familiarity with the tendencies of each breeder's koi helps too.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007