• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump recommendations please

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just some basics, the more waste you remove before it hits your biological filtration, the better. Your fish will be healthier and your maintenance decreases.
      I'll be candid and say that I've had a 55 gallon drum as my sc for a qt tank. My tank was 1000 gallons and I was moving, at best, about 1000g through the sc chamber. They aren't ideal for sc's because of their size limitation. If it were me, I would consider using your IBC's as your sc and the barrels for bio filters. IBC's come in different sizes, what do you have?
      Dimensions and gallon total, if you know.

I think you can see my reasoning. A 55g sc has a lot of limitations and your pond size is not small. IMO, it would be best to settle out as much waste as possible which makes the pond function a lot better. An IBC will have 5-6 times the amount of volume of a 55g barrel so it lets you move more water through it. You can add more bio filtration easily and you won't have the flow limitation of the 55g drums.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

Kavend is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The IBC totes i have are 275 gallon. dimensions are 3'x4'x4' tall.

i would be using one barrel per water intake. so eventually 6 barrels total. 2000gph-2500gph per barrel. not ideal for just a settlement chamber which i do understand. i was thinking adding the strapping for media would also assist with the mechanical filtration. allowing the barrels to be more effective.

i do see that larger is better. i've already got my totes both built. and the barrels were free. so there is no cost there. i could pick up a couple more totes and use them instead. i can pick up the totes for $50 a piece.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I came across this old thread with Steve discussing the flow for a 275 gallon tote. It doesn't get you that much as he says 10% is a good estimate. That's 2750g on an IBC tote and 550g on a barrel. I'm glad you're open to using the tote for settlement.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...1624-IBC-Totes

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'll go ahead and grab 2 more totes. i know 2 totes will fit. which still gives me more than the same footprint in barrels. it would be nice if i could squeeze 2 on each side of the house. its 6'x10' so that would be extremely tight especially with pumps and plumbing. but that would give me right at 1100 gallons of settlement. which would be just about perfect.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would hold off on the tanks. We may be able to save you that money.
      I have spent the last couple hours trying to pull together some info on a radial flow separator for you. We might be able to get more flow through the sc IBC totes by changing the flow dynamics. The water comes up to the center of the tank, overflows and is contained in a "stilling well" so that the heavier than water waste settles to the bottom. You then draw the water out near the surface of the tank.

Here is a pic of a professional one:
      Attached Images Attached Images  

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here are a couple of threads I tracked down:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...l-Flow-Settler

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...tion&styleid=2

The thing to consider on an IBC or a 55g barrel is that they are flat bottomed. It makes removing the waste more challenging. I had a siphon system on my qt, the tank I mentioned before, and it worked fairly well. I would recommend you do that so you can eliminate the waste well. The 2" long would be good, I think.

https://www.plastic-mart.com/category/422/siphon-tubes

Swamped is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A great alternative is an inexpensive 2 speed pool pump. I think mine runs at 2,300 or 2,400 gph.
      Click for Cape Coral, Florida Forecast

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quick update for you guys. well... Marilyn. I've decided that i will dig my filter pit a bit bigger. I've got the pond running temporarily on some pool pumps for now. they are going to eat my lunch on the electric bill though.

i've been working on making my pit a little bit bigger. that way i can squeeze 4 totes in it. that gives me right at 1100 gallons. (275 x 4).

i purchased 2 Periha PB25000 pumps for now. each one will run 2 3" bottom drains and a 3' skimmer line. i'll have a valve on my skimmer to adjust the input on it for now. and in the future i'll run a smaller pump per skimmer or combine the two on another PB25000.

i do have another question though. the pumps output is 2" should i open that up to 3" as close as i can to the pump?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't think you will be unhappy with more filtration. Trying to reverse engineer things is much more challenging.

Regarding the 2" pipe, if you are putting the pump between the sc and a biofilter, your pipe run will be short since it's within your filter pit. The pipes that gravity return the water to the pond should be larger, though. Try and go with sweep fittings when you can. The electrical sweeps commonly found at hardware stores work great and are usually available in 2" and often 3". That will cut down on a good amount of friction and head loss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12