• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fin rot getting worse! Have I missed something?

CarlaSee is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No. Surprisingly I couldn't find anything moving from the scrapping I took off the koi or from the water samples from my ponds. I read one of the threads that said the black circles in the photos from the scrapping are common air bubbles. Thank goodness! I'll check some water samples again tomorrow to see if I can find anything moving. Nothing so far but I may just need practice.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

While you're getting used to your microscope, do you have medications on hand to treat should you find something?

For flukes, which most resemble what you showed here, I like FlukeM. It is highly effective for flukes.
      For the other parasites, use a malachite green/fomalin combo. ProformC is the one we use. Do not use with salt above .3 though.

Any time you medicate, always increase the aeration. There isn't a single medication additive (including salt) that I would put in a pond without upping the aeration.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

WOW!! I can't tell everyone how much I appreciate the patience and advice that I have received about this issue of fin rot. This is the first time I have been able to save fish that were ill in any way. If it weren't for everyone's help I would have lost 4 koi. Instead I only lost 1 out of the 5 that came down with fin rot. Quick question here: can FR be transferred from sick fish to healthy fish by using the same net to dip them out of the pond? I followed the directions of increasing the KH but after awhile I kept the KH and the PH a little lower than suggested. When I had the 2 small butterfly koi in the higher KH they seemed to "shed" pieces of their fins more. The butterfly koi were only about 3 inches long and had the longest bar-bells and fins that I have ever seen in that size koi. The little calico one had FR on just about every fin and I though I would lose her for sure. The other one that was silver and white only had the beginnings of FR on his tail. They would just sit on the bottom of the QT black water trough and their long fins would just sit in whatever was growing on the bottom. I think that's why it spread as bad and as quickly as it did. The bigger koi that was in with them was about 6 inches and only had the beginnings of the red streaks in his tail so I got to him early. The white and black koi I had in QT with the gold one, the one seen in the photo above, didn't make it. I didn't get to put the medications on him in time because of a very bad experience I was going through with my dog I just couldn't focus on anything but my dog at the time. Anyway, I put the other 4 koi in the clove oil as instructed except I kept the amount down to 3 drops because of their size and the size of the container I had them in. They went into that calm state quickly so I'm glad I was watching them closely, (it was my first time to do this and I was nervous). I put iodine on their wounds, dousing each fin several times, and then put them into clean water, holding them so they didn't tip over. Once they were clearly alert I put them into a newly set up QT tank with about 9 goldfish and the 2 other koi. I figured the goldfish, that are always more aggressive than my koi, would keep them moving and sure enough they did. I watched all of them, including the goldfish, for 3 days. Everything seemed to be doing better so I let thing be. I got them out today and there is no evidence of FR in 2 of the koi and the other 2 only have slight streaks. I have some TricideNeo coming in the mail today or tomorrow. If the fish are not "cured" by time I get it I think I will repeat the process but use the TricideNeo rather than iodine. Please let me know if I should do that. Also, how long should I keep them in QT? I'm in no hurry to introduce them into my main pond with my other Koi. Anyway, I can't believe the quick healing response and I am very grateful to not have anymore trauma to deal with. You guys are a life saver and my koi are grateful too

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm glad it seems to be working. I'm sorry you had pup problems and can relate, our beloved girl had an emergency visit a couple of weeks ago.

I've not heard of it being transmitted via contact on a net. It seems to be more an environmental thing. There is a product called Koizyme (Medizyme may be another) that can offset some of the bad bacteria. You have to dose it religiously or you lose the results you're trying to achieve. Any time a koi is just resting on the bottom it is a red flag that they are fighting something. The exception is cold water. They just are not that active in cold water.

Qt times can vary. Keep them in long enough you're confident that they won't bring something over to the main pond. This could parasites, bacterial issues (like bacterial gill disease) or a virus. Most people I know do no less than 6 weeks and up to six months.

I'm still going to caution you to keep your KH at no less than 100ppm. I've never had koi have a skin related reaction to that level. In fact, a pond I helped through a pH crash had the koi sloughing skin affected from the crash. It was the healing process and new skin. The koi fully recovered and didn't have a problem with the higher KH level.

Regarding the koi that still have streaks, you're on the right course. I would go with topical applications of the TricideNeo, don't do a bath. Use distilled water, make a small slurry and apply to the affected areas. Qtips work well.

Best wishes, well done on learning the sedation and wound treating techniques!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Now that you mention it I had been trying to keep the KH higher before that so the sloughing could in fact be from the earlier PH crashes. I am going to try to use the TricideNeo slurry tomorrow. I'll post the results I've seen by the end of the week. Thanks again.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sounds good.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12