• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Nishikigoi.Life 2019 Spawning Project

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Nishikigoi.Life 2019 Spawning Project

As many of you are probably aware, Nishikigoi.Life is Mark Gardner's web site where he records his blog and provides news updates and videos on many aspects of Nishikigoi.

This year he decided to try spawning koi himself. He initially tried to breed Beni Kikokuryu, but after a few nights, the female would not lay her eggs. So he substituted a female Doitsu Hariwake paired with a male Beni Kikokuryu, and they spawned successfully.

I wrote to Mark that I was considering posting a thread about his project here, thinking that those that follow the Koiphen Amateur Breeders Forum would enjoy following his project. He said, "... feel free to share the links to the YouTube videos or www.Nishikigoi.Life far and wide."

He keeps his written blog on the project on his site. The most recent (June 21) blog post is at:
      http://nishikigoi.life/2019/06/21/my...pawning-night/

Mark's main YouTube page is at - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsT..._nObCvlc630jBg
      It has 11 videos and counting on his project. They are very informative and have great camera work, including under water and slow motion. I see that the latest, posted today, is actually on a second spawn. He used the same Beni Kikokuryu male with a different Beni Kikokuryu female. So give it a look and enjoy!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Part 12 - 1st Selection of 1st Spawning
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvApImbFpw0
      He mentioned culling the smallest ones about 5 minutes in. Actually, I thought the smaller ones he showed were fattening up okay. I usually have a lot that never seem to get out of the thin and wispy stage, but his small ones did not look like that.

Part 11 - Second Spawning Takes Place
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jkZuetOqrw
      Includes good slo-mo video. Since they seemed to drop more eggs all over the spawning net, with not as many on the ropes, he indicated he would let all the eggs develop instead of just the ones on the ropes. I notice that he does as many breeders do and has the ropes floating all around. I've always strung the ropes along the sides and gotten lots of eggs on the ropes that way. This was the same male that he used in the first spawning, which showed that you can get a lot of fry even by using just one small male.

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Matt, I have been looking for those fine mesh hapa nets for sale in the USA, but I can't ever find them. Somebody should import them and sell it on ebay or amazon. I would think fish hatchery suppliers would stock them, but I haven't come across it yet. If anyone has an online source for fine mesh hapa nets please post link...........

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Roger, I have not looked for them, but would be interested if someone finds a source for such a net. Mark mentioned in one of the videos that at least one of the nets was sewn by a relative out of some sheer curtains.

I am not sure I understand the purpose(s) of the hanging net. I can see that after the eggs are laid, you can easily clean out all the eggs that did not get on the spawning ropes/brushes. But in each of his two spawns, the koi laid most of the eggs in the net rather than on the intended spawning material. So he left the net in with the first batch and probably will with the second. Does the net serve another purpose besides easy removal of eggs that did not get on the spawning ropes?

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Matt, think about it, he is using a very large nexus filter, it must need a strong pump to filter the large fry tank. The haupa net is probably kept clear of the drain, so the fry aren't being sucked in. The down side is the net will accumulate the fry poop on the bottom if the fry are raised in the net. I think the hapa net makes it easier to transfer the fry, but it still looks like a pain in the neck. I saw a youtube video of two guys scooping up day old fry in a haupa net in one of Dainichi's large out door cement ponds.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxB1zEhS4kc
      Last edited by Roger; 06-30-2019 at 03:39 PM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
      Matt, think about it, he is using a very large nexus filter, it must need a strong pump to filter the large fry tank. The hapa net is kept clear of the drain, so the fry aren't being sucked in.
      I guess if you don't put other screens around the pump, that would happen.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

He's now had a third spawn, this time with the original female that would not lay eggs a few weeks ago. He mentioned that a couple of other young beni kikokuryu that he acquired turned out to be female, so he just has the one male to use in all of these spawns.

Part 15 - Third Spawning Completed
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ij5oyRL9Q

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

He's got his hands full.

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

The nets are for containing the fry for easy removal when ready. Not for egg removal.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Just catching up a bit Mark's spawns from last summer. Here in installment 16 he makes the 2nd selection from his first spawn.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Sn...&index=17&t=0s
      He shows examples of gill deformities around the 4-5 minutes in.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've watched a few if his videos.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Here is Mark Gardner's (part 23) final selection from the three 2019 spawns of beni kikokuryu (one of which included a Doitsu hariwake). His 8 keepers are shown all together at the 15:10 mark. I don't know much about the technical scoring of this variety, but it looks like very good results to me, especially for what I understand is his first such attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIkF...3R06F&index=22

I've watched several of his videos, though not nearly all, but I had to check this one to see how 2019 turned out. Also, early in the video, he shows the parent koi he is looking at for 2020, a kujaku pair and a goshiki pair, though he has other options. He already has several videos of the 2020 progress that I have not gotten to yet.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Sadly, according to this thread ...
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...as-passed-away
      it appears Mark has passed away.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007