• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Bad glad if you don't have larger mud ponds...

Cecil is offline Senior Member
      is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Be glad if you don't have larger mud ponds...

As some of you know I hatch and raise various species of fish in four earthen ponds along with indoor tanks. One of the downsides to outdoor ponds are all the predators that want to dine on pond fish. I'm sure some of you can relate. Animals that can take an interest in our fish are mink, otters, snapping turtles, Great Blue Herons, and ospreys. Starting two years a go an Osprey started showing up in June and is quite accomplished at diving into the ponds and flying off with large fish. It got to the point where he or she showed up twice a day and didn't leave until early October where it probably migrates to the Gulf Coast of Mexico and Central America. Running to the bird, clapping, and even the sound of a gunshot is rarely effective especially when it first has its sights on a fish. They are so focused they hear nothing. I'm thinking of trying something called a bear banger which is a shell without a projectile that makes a loud noise with pyrotechnics.

Fast forward to this June and I now have up to three of then hammering my ponds at least once a day. Of course shooting these noble birds is out of the question, although I do have a state and federal permit to take out Great Blue Herons if all non-lethal means are exhausted. The local river is high and muddy and perhaps the low clarity has them searching for clearer waters where they can see the fish?

Only effective thing I have found is to stake heavy monofilatment lines across my smallest pond, which now means I will have to do so on the largest one half acre pond. What a PITA that will be! I will also will be adding more dye to reduce visibility.

People are overjoyed that state and federal government is reintroducing previously extirpated native animals, but aren't aware of the damage they can do to one's livelihood. I have a newfound sympathy for those that raise livestock in areas where wolves have been reintroduced. Don't get me wrong I find wolves beautiful and fascinating.

I haven't see an otter yet but it's just a matter of time. I know folks that have ponds near rivers that have pretty much given up on keeping larger fish in their ponds as the otters come in and clean out the ponds of the largest fish. A friend that raises large bass for remedial stocking in southern Illinois is taking a beating with newly introduced otters. He lost $30,000 worth of large bass last year. And he's not allowed to touch them. HIs state DNR said it wasn't their problem even though they reintroduced them.
      Last edited by Cecil; 06-24-2019 at 08:59 AM.
      The risk I took was calculated, but man am I bad at math!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is enjoying new pond

Feeling:
      Happy

I'm sorry for your troubles Cecil. I have a lot of love and respect for wild animals until they start killing my pets. If they are not endangered, their lives are not more important than the lives I have spent years nurturing.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

I heard bird bangers in Niagara wine country to deter birds from their grapes. They are LOUD!
      Much louder than this in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQrv-Y6yDU0
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by pickerel View Post
      I'm sorry for your troubles Cecil. I have a lot of love and respect for wild animals until they start killing my pets. If they are not endangered, their lives are not more important than the lives I have spent years nurturing.
      The thing is even if I wanted to, which I don't, I believe the penalties for shooting an osprey are right up there with shooting a Bald Eagle! $5000.00 fine and jail time last I knew!

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      I heard bird bangers in Niagara wine country to deter birds from their grapes. They are LOUD!
      Much louder than this in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQrv-Y6yDU0

Don't think my neighbors would approve of those. LOL The Bear bangers I was talking about are fired from a specially composite pistol and only when needed.

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I know in japan they start their fry out in a mud pond but with tall concrete walls with nets only when they get bigger then they are released into the wild mud ponds.

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

I like to watch osprey dive for fish, and have watched them for hours (at a lake, not a production pond). I believe their success rate drops when the wind generates even moderate waves on the lake, they miss more often when their view is partially obstructed. Perhaps several surface paddle wheel aerators would help? Name:  2hp-paddle-wheel.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  26.6 KB

Perhaps you can cover a portion of the pond with a old tent! https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/cir...-for-sale.html !!!

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

Grumpy I think you are on to something. I have noticed they don't show up on windy days. That said I have found a possible alternative. I add a dye to the pond every spring, and just added more decreasing water visibility. I have another gallon I can add if need be. Didn't have to pay for it. I bartered some tilapia for it. It seems to have decreased visibility and I haven't see the ospreys since. Fingers crossed!

One factor in their appearance may be the lack of clarity in the local river. With all the rain we are having it's high and turbid.

is Koiphen fan

Feeling:
      Awesome

I haven't seen the birds in several days. Maybe the nearest river has cleared up and they are sticking to it?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007