• Tired

Thread: unexpected spawn

beastman_1103 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

unexpected spawn

Hi

relatively new to keeping Koi having had my own for around two years. I recently rescued 6 from a relative and added them to my pond and noticed that within a few days there was a lot of chasing going on. It looked like spawning behaviour so i bought a black night spawning brush and put it in just to see what happened. i checked it a couple of times and there was nothing and then i kinda forgot about it until my dad mentioned to me that he had saw the Koi up the shallow end of my pond, this was a couple of days after they had did this of course, anyways. i checked and sure as fate there were eggs on the spawning mop. There were also a couple of fry swimming about. I scooped up a couple and put them in a tank and have about 3 that are a week old - i left the spawing brush in the pond for a couple of days and then removed it and got rid of the unhatched eggs - they hadnt hathed in about a week. I cant see any fry in the pond now (its about 3000 gallons so im presuming they were eaten or the eggs were eaten (other than the ones i got rid of). i had been breaking up egg yoke and puttin in pond (trying to do bits 4 times a day). Is there a good chance there will be fry hiding in the pond or should i see them at the surface - should i put the spawing mops back in as some of the koi do look swollen and when i do water change it seems to stimluate the same behaviours. I am interested in growing the fry and am much better prepared now

any advice appreciated

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

I have had a couple of unwanted flock spawns in the past, in which I tried to dip out all of the eggs and allowed the many adults to eat any remaining eggs. Still, one koi survived from one spawn, and six survived from the other spawn. If you have plants or even just rocks, a few fry may survive. They can hide there until they grow larger or they can hide in the folds of a liner.

As for future spawns, koi like to spawn on material suitable for attaching eggs to, such as plants (even dead leaves) or spawning ropes, mops, brushes. So this time of year, if you add the brushes, or even if you just have water plants, there is a good chance they will spawn.

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

beastman, The fry are very tiny, they can swim through mosquito nets. They like to cling on the sides of the pond. You have to get real close to the water and focus to see them. Its not a big thing if you don't get any this time, you can always do a planned spawn with another female. The big koi will eat the eggs, its better to move the spawning material to a seperate tank to hatch and raise the eggs. Home breeders don't have a mud pond, so they rely on good filtration. I have posted a detail description of my fry tank under amature breeders May 19,2019. We do what we can with what we got.
      Last edited by Roger; 06-24-2019 at 01:46 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

many thanks for the replies. Just an update, rescued fish actually included 4 goldfish so not sure if i have Goldfish. Koi or hybrid fry. any ideas what these are or is it too early ?Name:  20190810_124947.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  128.3 KB

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Congratulations on the Spawn! I don't see barbs on these babies so I'm thinking goldfish? My eyes and knowledge are kinda bad tho...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i had two spawns so im doubly unsure some are black, some pink or red and some like this Name:  20190810_124801.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  122.8 KB

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Presume that some (or many) of the fry will survive. It is a fun and good learning experience to raise Koi fry. From experience... expect most all to be junk.

Hope J is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by beastman_1103 View Post
      i had two spawns so im doubly unsure some are black, some pink or red and some like this Name:  20190810_124801.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  122.8 KB
      I'd swear if I didn't know any better, I would have guessed this was a mutated Mosquito Fish just on the body alone. I love the actual gold color, I can't wait to watch this one grow!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007