• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: UV after shower filter?

Subersibo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

UV after shower filter?

Anyone put the UV after a shower filter?
      I have 2 S&g’s with 2” outlets which will dump water into the shower.
      The shower has 4 outlets: 2 for tpr’s and two to feed a small waterfall.
      I am thinking if I have a flow of about 1,000 gph through each tpr and 2,000 gph through the falls, I could place the uv in the falls line.
      I am looking at the EVO15 for my 3,000 gallon pond. It is stated to have a max flow of 2,000 gph.
      Dumb question but since there are multiple outlets going into the pond (tpr’s, falls) how effective can a uv be going out only through one source? Like if it is in the waterfall line the water coming out through h the tpr’s don’t get the uv treatment.
      Last edited by Subersibo; 06-21-2019 at 02:31 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

In a recirculating system, there is no absolute need to treat all the water. Eventually, given enough time, whatever bugs circulating in the system will be routed through the UV unit.
      Of course this doesn't mean you treat only 1/10 of the flow. Treating 1/4-1/2 of the flow on the other hand should work well for most.

More important is that the flow rate specifications of the UV be followed so that the bugs that do go through the UV get zapped enough so they are dead when they exit.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Subersibo View Post
      Anyone put the UV after a shower filter?
      I have 2 S&g’s with 2” outlets which will dump water into the shower.
      The shower has 4 outlets: 2 for tpr’s and two to feed a small waterfall.
      I am thinking if I have a flow of about 1,000 gph through each tpr and 2,000 gph through the falls, I could place the uv in the falls line.
      I am looking at the EVO15 for my 3,000 gallon pond. It is stated to have a max flow of 2,000 gph.
      Dumb question but since there are multiple outlets going into the pond (tpr’s, falls) how effective can a uv be going out only through one source? Like if it is in the waterfall line the water coming out through h the tpr’s don’t get the uv treatment.
      A thing to be aware of is the UV needs to be full of water at all times. In a gravity return pipe often times the pipe
      is only partial full so you need to place the UV in the lowest point possible and I'd also have a ball valve after
      the UV in case you need to slow the flow enough to fill the pipe. The UV will restrict the flow more too so you
      may not be able to get the flow you had planned on unless you add a bypass.

If you've got a good mechanical filter before the pump, I'd think about putting the UV on one of the lines after
      the pump going to one of the s/g filters to get the 2000 gph flow. Obviously the water won't be as filtered as
      it would be after the s/g filters and shower, but a lot less to go wrong.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Technically it doesn't matter where in the circuit the UV goes, but...

It's best to run cleanish water through it. That's because organic matter absorbs UV like crazy, so it doesn't make sense to expose particles that are about to be filtered out anyway. For that reason, the best place is on the outlet side of whatever particulate filter you have.

In my case, I'm not following my own advice, as mine's on the inlet side of the SG filters, probably the worst place in the system. It works fine, but some of its abilities are wasted; if it was on the outlet side, I could probably run a smaller (cheaper to buy and operate) UV bulb.

Getting off-topic, I have a gravity-fed RDF feeding a shower, and on a separate circuit, the skimmer feeds a pump which pushes water through two SG filters. I'm thinking about rerouting the skimmer pipe into the RDF and draw water for the SG filters from the output side of the RDF - the UV would be in that line. There may be insufficient flow, however, because it's gravity-fed and thus puts the 3" skimmer circuit in competition with the two 4" bottom drains - it'll only work at fairly high flow rates, but I digress.

Back on topic, and as was said, you don't need to run all the system's flow through the UV, though the minimum amount necessary for clean water is harder to calculate, since, like a sunburn, how well the UV works is directly related to exposure time, intensity, and, and how long it takes for the floating algae to regenerate.
      Last edited by kimini; 06-21-2019 at 10:02 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007